• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Orchard WM & Albertson's (2nd time OC)

Nivek

imported post

Went on a few errands today, spending most of my time in wal-mart and albertson's in Port Orchard. I usually CC when I go into town, but today was pretty warm, and I had been OC most of the morning around the house.
My room-mate and I went to Wal-Mart around 9:30pm, and wandered around for about an hour and 45 minutes. I picked up shome birdshot for my new remington, and a bunch of stuff for the garden. The whole time we were there, no "looks", whispers, or questions. The door checker on the way in said a very cordial "hello" and a different one on they way out just waved me off when I offered my receipt for her to check (since they usually do when you have a full cart).
At alberton's, much the same story, except at the checkout line, after i finished paying, and the cashier suddenly goes "Oh! You have a gun! I didn't even realize it!" Very friendly, and not scared at all.

The most amazing part was when we got home, and started unloading groceries in the kitchen. My roomie looks down and my hip and says "Holy ****! Have you had that thing on the whole time?" I say yes, and he just shakes his head, dumbfounded that he didn't even realize it.

Again, I usually CC, and this was only my second time OC, but it was very amusing, and calming to find how little attention it actually gets you. I don't know if that's due to people not noticing, or just not being bothered by it, but I was very impressed with the [lack of] response!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That’s something I don’t understand is how people don’t notice a person with a gun. Being that I carry, I always look at a persons hip to see if they are CC, that’s one of the first things I do as I approach people

just_a_car

imported post

It's part what you carry/how you dress, part people just not noticing it/not recognizing it as a gun/not caring, and part how you act in your attitude and mannerisms. If you act nervous, you'll inherently attract more attention than if you're just going about your daily business, but while armed.

Glad to hear you had a pleasant, uneventful day.

Carry on!

Nivek

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
It's part what you carry/how you dress, part people just not noticing it/not recognizing it as a gun/not caring, and part how you act in your attitude and mannerisms.

I was just in my usual t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. I see a lot of people saying you should 'dress up' when you OC to present a more respectable image, and I can understand that. But I also wonder, is that really necessary? If dickies shorts and a gray t-shirt attract no attention with a full-frame USP attatched, then why should I change the way I dress, so I look like a 'professional that's supposed to have a gun'?

Alwayspacking wrote:
Being that I carry, I always look at a persons hip to see if they are CC, that’s one of the first things I do as I approach people
I think that is pretty common. Like when you buy a new car, you start noticing all the other people driving that same car. Maybe it's the same mental process, but maybe it's something more like sizing up everyone you meet. You are armed, so you feel the need to know who else is armed around you. I think it's a valuable skill/habit, and it's almost a game for me sometimes when I go around town: "Guess Who's Packing?... with your host, ME!!!"

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nivek wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
It's part what you carry/how you dress, part people just not noticing it/not recognizing it as a gun/not caring, and part how you act in your attitude and mannerisms.

I was just in my usual t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. I see a lot of people saying you should 'dress up' when you OC to present a more respectable image, and I can understand that. But I also wonder, is that really necessary? If dickies shorts and a gray t-shirt attract no attention with a full-frame USP attatched, then why should I change the way I dress, so I look like a 'professional that's supposed to have a gun'?

Alwayspacking wrote:
Being that I carry, I always look at a persons hip to see if they are CC, that’s one of the first things I do as I approach people
I think that is pretty common. Like when you buy a new car, you start noticing all the other people driving that same car. Maybe it's the same mental process, but maybe it's something more like sizing up everyone you meet. You are armed, so you feel the need to know who else is armed around you. I think it's a valuable skill/habit, and it's almost a game for me sometimes when I go around town: "Guess Who's Packing?... with your host, ME!!!"

Yep you are 100% correct. lol That is it.

You know there are more people packing out there, then people think I want to see if they are careless with it or not. The only way I give myself away is when I bend down, I bend at the knees, that is a dead giveaway.

Nivek

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
The only way I give myself away is when I bend down, I bend at the knees, that is a dead giveaway.

Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean "gun". My father has never carried a gun a day in his life, but whenever he picks something up or looks at a bottom shelf at a store, he bends at the knees just as you or I would. His reasoning is due to a bad back, not concern of showing a gun. :?
Always watching for clues though. untucked hawaiian shirt, anybody??? :banghead:

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nivek wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
The only way I give myself away is when I bend down, I bend at the knees, that is a dead giveaway.

Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean "gun". My father has never carried a gun a day in his life, but whenever he picks something up or looks at a bottom shelf at a store, he bends at the knees just as you or I would. His reasoning is due to a bad back, not concern of showing a gun. :?
Always watching for clues though. untucked hawaiian shirt, anybody??? :banghead:

Hawaiian shirt haha I have not seen anyone with one of those onin a long time, and i hope i dont anytime soon haha.

Yeah bending at the knees does not always a mean a person has a gun, but when I do it I know it could cause a print.But when I have a chance to OC, I wont care:celebrate

BIll98501

imported post

How about wearing a khaki vest on a hot ass day?

Dont worry dude, your sidearm didnt print at all when you bent over to sign your reciept at lowes.

;)