• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updated Notices of Range Visits

BrianEMT

imported post

Because I go to the range 2 or 3 times a week, I figured I would post this up and keep it up to date just in case anyone wants to join in on the fun! It would be nice to meet some of the others I argue with on this forum. ;)

All dates will be at the Blacks Creek Open Range location, not the Blacks Creek sanctioned pay-to-shoot range, unless otherwise noted. To get there if you are taking I-84 East, take Exit 64 and turn right. Follow the road past the stop sign at the railroad tracks until the road curves left then right again and goes uphill. There are two options to get in, either go straight instead of taking the curve up the hill onto the dirt road, or take the entrance I use (because its more fun) that is at the top of the uphill and to your right.

Both will take you north into the range area, I usually follow the trail across the rock bed where there used to be water, and park in that area. Unless otherwise noted I will always be onsite at or before the posted time, I will usually be in a green Subaru Forester with yellow State Search&Rescue placards.

I will always have some metallic targets, but feel free to also bring your own. If you have any questions, need any other details or driving directions, send me a PM and I will give you my cell phone number.

BrianEMT

imported post

I will be out this Tuesday, July 15th, around 4PM. I should have two others with me, and IdahoCorsair might drop by sometime later around 6PM (at least thats the word on the street ;)).

Boostaholic

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I will be out this Tuesday, July 15th, around 4PM. I should have two others with me, and IdahoCorsair might drop by sometime later around 6PM (at least thats the word on the street ;)).
Would I be able to get to this on a motorcycle? I have been past the open range sign on blacks creek before.

BrianEMT

imported post

Boostaholic wrote:
BrianEMT wrote:
Would I be able to get to this on a motorcycle? I have been past the open range sign on blacks creek before.
If you went really slowly, you probably could. But the thing is, why would you? And where would you stow your gear? A dirtbike would probably have no problem but a roadbike might have some issues, it is dirt and there are some large holes and large rocks at places...

I would actually recommend a truck or SUV if you have one, at least something with four wheels and reasonable ground clearance...the last time I went I saw a black car get stuck...twice.

Eagleeye

imported post

The only way you can get to where I shoot is with a 4 wheel drive or dirt bike.
(out by Firebird)

unfortunately with fuel prices like they are and my current income
barfmr2.gif
I can only afford to go shooting about once a month. :(

Hopefully that will change soon.

BrianEMT

imported post

I am planning on going again this Saturday after our OC event. I would like to get out there at 8PM this time, I've never gone night shooting before and I figure this would be a good time to practice some combatlight situations...

MarkinIdaho

imported post

Brian - I didn't know there was another range out there... that didn't charge. But I'm trying to figure out where it is you are talking about. Is it before or after the "pay" range? Are there signs? If there are, I've never noticed them... but when I'm driving to the range I'm usually in "one track mind" mode, lol.

Thanks for the info.

BrianEMT

imported post

Here is the first turn off at the bottom of the hill:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...125081&spn=0.001834,0.004699&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A

Here is the second turn off:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...131657&spn=0.001834,0.004699&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A

Here is the shooting area where I am at usually:
(The area that forms a triangle...)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...07,-116.129302&spn=0.001834,0.004699&t=h&z=18

It is before the pay range, which I have never actually been to, nor knew it actually existed until just a year ago...

I'm planning on heading out there again this Saturday...but if I don't hear from any other shooters or can't get anyone else, I will just cancel...

BrianEMT

imported post

I give it about a week or so until my Glock gets here, I am dwindling down on ammo so I can hold my fun (as painful as its going to be) until this upcoming Saturday, the 26th. Or as soon as it decides to get here.

The seller is a dick, and wants $35 for shipping across one state, and wants payment in cash. Oh well, it's still a good deal.

So until further notice, the next time I will be heading out is the 26th.

BrianEMT

imported post

Scratch that thing about the 26th....

...my new Glock should be here next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I am planning on heading out to Blacks Creek then, I am going to be really loading up this time, bring some things out there to do some scenario shooting, including cars. :D

I will probably go around 4PM on Tuesday if the Glock makes it in ontime. Anyone game?

BrianEMT

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
One more reason for me to get my truck fixed...
You wouldn't have wanted to go yesterday anyway. The entire firing line was so full of rednecks with beat up trucks and open containers or a bunch of benchrest shooters that took about 10 minutes to fire off a single shot.

I had to drive to the backstop that was near the road, and that is probably where I am going from now on, easy to get to, large area to find brass, and lots of junk to shoot at. :celebrate

Eagleeye

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
One more reason for me to get my truck fixed...
You wouldn't have wanted to go yesterday anyway. The entire firing line was so full of rednecks with beat up trucks and open containers or a bunch of benchrest shooters that took about 10 minutes to fire off a single shot.

I had to drive to the backstop that was near the road, and that is probably where I am going from now on, easy to get to, large area to find brass, and lots of junk to shoot at. :celebrate
Hence why I go out in the boonies to shoot :)

MarkinIdaho

imported post

My son and I were out at the Orchard Training Range... NO one else out there shooting, except us. Saw a few Humvees over on the main road, but that's it.

BrianEMT

imported post

MarkinIdaho wrote:
My son and I were out at the Orchard Training Range... NO one else out there shooting, except us. Saw a few Humvees over on the main road, but that's it.
How do you get to that location?

And this is interesting:

The Gowen Field complex is adjacent to the Boise International Airport and is located on 576 acres, with the Gowen Field Training Area consisting of 136,948 of which 86,459 is maneuver area, just south of the main post area.

When was BOI ever an international airport?

MarkinIdaho

imported post

It's the same place (MPPC I think it's called) that Hubby_MC talked about over at boiseshooters. Go out Pleasant Valley road past the prison until you are on the dirt road. As soon as you are past the big steel power poles, you are on the range. Look for a good backstop and go for it. If you are in the wrong spot, the MP's will kindly ask you to move. The first time I went out, I talked to an MP and he said the only place you can't go is in the impact zone, unless there is other live fire training going on. They keep a close watch on the entire range and see you coming for miles. :) If you are in a trouble spot, you'll find out soon enough.

After going here, I won't go to any of the area over by Blacks Creek.

BrianEMT

imported post

MarkinIdaho wrote:
It's the same place (MPPC I think it's called) that Hubby_MC talked about over at boiseshooters. Go out Pleasant Valley road past the prison until you are on the dirt road. As soon as you are past the big steel power poles, you are on the range. Look for a good backstop and go for it. If you are in the wrong spot, the MP's will kindly ask you to move. The first time I went out, I talked to an MP and he said the only place you can't go is in the impact zone, unless there is other live fire training going on. They keep a close watch on the entire range and see you coming for miles. :) If you are in a trouble spot, you'll find out soon enough.

After going here, I won't go to any of the area over by Blacks Creek.

I hate that washboard road out there. Someone should rent a big bulldozer and flatten it out. :)

DJB.45ACP

imported post

Brian,
Thank you for posting the Range info and the map links. My dad and I have been in Boise for a few days, and went to the range this afternoon.