• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody have opinions on Galco shoulder holsters?

mercutio545

imported post

I'm looking at getting one of those Miami Classic holsters for my XD. Any pros and cons? Is it worth the money? I definitely want to get some sort of shoulder holster (mainly for concealing during the winter).

I was also wondering, how is the balance on something like that if you don't use tie-downs? I'm not worried about the pistol flopping around everywhere, but does it feel more weighed down on one side and drag the straps to the heavier side?

superdemon

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I'm looking at getting one of those Miami Classic holsters for my XD. Any pros and cons? Is it worth the money? I definitely want to get some sort of shoulder holster (mainly for concealing during the winter).

I was also wondering, how is the balance on something like that if you don't use tie-downs? I'm not worried about the pistol flopping around everywhere, but does it feel more weighed down on one side and drag the straps to the heavier side?

Leather is a thing of the past. It's hot, heavy, and can't be easily cleaned.

Get a nylon shoulder rig, and use the tiedowns more to prevent it flopping around than balance.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

I have a Miami Classic II that I really like. It's just plain comfortable, in my opinion. The pistol (all steel full size) is considerably heavier than the 2 mags and the rig weighs down on that side, so I recently ordered a tie down for the magazine side to counterbalance. Haven't got it yet, but I think it will work.

Gravity_Tester

imported post

I have a Miami Classic and love it. I live in AZ, so I've tested it in heat and humidity. It's more comfortable than a tucked shirt and tight gunbelt, and it's nice to be able to just throw it on before I head out the door. I carry a Kimber Pro-Carry II Stainless in mine-4" 1911, alloy frame, and 2 spare mags. Once I got it adjusted correctly, it stays put pretty well, and it is MUCH more comfotable in the car.

I'm actually dreading winter now because I refuse to pay for a permission slip to excersize my right to carry, and a shoulder rig is gonna be invisible with a coat on, so I'll have to switch to a thigh rig..

If you get a shoulder holster, get a good one-the cheap nylon set-ups have foam around the gun, so they will chafe the crap out of your arm. Besides, you can't beat the look and feel of leather.

GT

tarzan1888

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

I once had 2 shoulder rigs that I use all the time and I don't use "tie-downs" with either.

Tarzan

superdemon

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

I have 2 shoulder rigs that I use all the time and I don't use "tie-downs" with either.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I bought the above holster, Triple K Ultra Shoulder Holster,for my 1911 at Cabela's for about $65, It is now priced at $69 I love it and it wears well. If you go to the Cabala's site you will see the holster, but I must say that the man in the picture doesn't know how to adjust the holster to fit. In the same site Cabela's wants !44 for the Galco.

I bought the Holster below, X16http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=X16L Agent® X Shoulder System,online at Copquest for about $125, for my Taurus 617 and I love it too. Mine is lined, and I don't think they make it lined any more.

I work all over the country in hot and wet conditions and I have loved both holster systems. I generally wear a vest or jacket over the holsters so that they do not "flop around" I do also wear them openly, but not usually in high activity situations.

If I were going to wear them in what I knew was I high activity situation, I might put the tie downs on the Bianchi. The Triple K does not come with them.

On some other forums I belong to I asked some of the LEO's who wore shoulder rigs how the Bianchi compared to the Galco and they liked the Bianchi better, but opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

One thing I go like is that both of mine have a wide strap over your shoulder, and if you carry your gun for any length of time you will appreciate that. The Galco does not have this feature.

If you have any specific questions...let me know and I will be glad to answer them.

Tarzan

When you wear, do you wear the gun completely upside down (muzzle pointed at armpit), compltely level (muzzle pointed straight back), or at some sort of diagonal?

The only way I have been able to comfortably wear a shoulder rig is with the gun darn near completely upside down, but I have a short torso, so that may come into play.

tarzan1888

imported post

superdemon wrote:
When you wear, do you wear the gun completely upside down (muzzle pointed at armpit), compltely level (muzzle pointed straight back), or at some sort of diagonal?

The only way I have been able to comfortably wear a shoulder rig is with the gun darn near completely upside down, but I have a short torso, so that may come into play.

It took me a year or so to get my Triple K holster adjusted so that it fit the way it should. I had never worn one and so at first I had it adjusted so that it was up tight against my arm pit and very horizontal.

With time I learned to adjust it so that both sides hung lower.Theholsters on both sides should hang low enough so that they are below your pecks in the indent on your side, along your ribs, above your belt. On my gun side the handle of my gun is an inch or 2 above my belt and on my magazine side it is a little higher than that. In time the leather will conform to your body, just like a good pare of shoes.

Don't be afraid to send the time you need to wear and adjust your rig, until it fits right. Right for you may or may not be right for someone else.

The magazine side has a slight forward cant so that I can reach the magazines and remove them easier, and the gun holster has a slight cant so that it hangsdown, a little,at the front and up at the back.

This makes it faster to draw once you have snapped off the thumb break.

When I got it fitting right, for me, I liked it a lot better than I did at first.

When I bought the Bianchi, for my revolver, I adjusted the straps so that they were a mirror image of my Triple K and so I have not had the same adjustment period.

It also has a slight forward cant to the speedloader pouches and a slight downward cant on the front of the holster.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

superdemon wrote:
Leather is a thing of the past. It's hot, heavy, and can't be easily cleaned.

Get a nylon shoulder rig, and use the tiedowns more to prevent it flopping around than balance.

The second holster I bought was a nylon shoulder rig for the first pistol I owned. It was an Uncle Mikes and it was OK. Mostly because I didn't wear it much because it was for a .22 revolver, with a 6 inch barrel, that was quickly replaced by a real gun as my carry piece. I still have it, but will probably never wear it again.

I bought a nylon shoulder rig for my .357 snubby. It had Velcro fasteners and all. I never could get that thing to fit right. It would bind and ride up. The Velcro wore out before I got it adjusted right.

I bought it after I had bought my Triple K and it only made me want another leather one more.

I have to add that I am a leather kind of guy, but even if I was not, I would never buy another nylon shoulder rig......You couldn't give me one

Tarzan

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a suede Galco shoulder holster and carry a .380 in it with no issues. No tie-downs (no place to tie them on my business clothes). Even without the magazine on the opposite side, I don't note any "off-side" feeling.

I've worn it comfortably all day.