Thread: Age to Open Carry.

Post imported post

RS 14:95.8
    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile
    So according to this, anyone above the age of 17 can open carry?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Jaycob wrote:

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.

Post imported post

Liko81 wrote:
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.
    Correct, BUT,

No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

LA Carry ? Anything to add ?

Post imported post

The Youth Handgun Safety Act sets a federal minimum age for possession of a handgun at 18 years, with some exceptions.
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/i53002.pdf

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    Liko81 wrote:
    Correct, BUT,

No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

LA Carry ? Anything to add ?

The State pre-emption statute allows for laws that were already in place at the time of it's passing, as well as government buildings and "certain commercial establishments." One may fight those stipulations on Constitutional grounds, but it would be a legthy and costly battle.

Post imported post

Liko81 wrote:
    Jaycob wrote:

It looks to me like it says anyone above the age of 16. "...anyone who has not attained the age of 17.." means anyone 17 and older.