Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Age to Open Carry.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    RS 14:95.8
    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile
    So according to this, anyone above the age of 17 can open carry?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX, ,
    Posts
    496

    Post imported post

    Jaycob wrote:
    RS 14:95.8

    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile


    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile
    So according to this, anyone above the age of 17 can open carry?
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Liko81 wrote:
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.
    Correct, BUT,

    No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

    LA Carry ? Anything to add ?




  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    $
    Posts
    187

    Post imported post

    The Youth Handgun Safety Act sets a federal minimum age for possession of a handgun at 18 years, with some exceptions.
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/i53002.pdf

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Keithville, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    Dustin wrote:
    Liko81 wrote:
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.
    Correct, BUT,

    No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

    LA Carry ? Anything to add ?



    The State pre-emption statute allows for laws that were already in place at the time of it's passing, as well as government buildings and "certain commercial establishments." One may fight those stipulations on Constitutional grounds, but it would be a legthy and costly battle.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, ,
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    Liko81 wrote:
    Jaycob wrote:
    RS 14:95.8

    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile


    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile
    So according to this, anyone above the age of 17 can open carry?
    That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.
    It looks to me like it says anyone above the age of 16. "...anyone who has not attained the age of 17.." means anyone 17 and older.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •