• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to Open Carry.

Jaycob

imported post

RS 14:95.8
[align=justify]§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile[/align]
[align=justify]A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile[/align]
So according to this, anyone above the age of 17 can open carry?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jaycob wrote:

[align=justify]A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile[/align]
That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.

Dustin

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
That isn't otherwise prohibited (convicted felon, legally insane, mentally incompetent), yes. Now, this is just one law; I STRONGLY advise you to read the rest of the statutes concerning guns and OC. Louisiana is not a "Gold Star" state, meaning there may be some significant restriction, or that localities may have stricter ordinances.
Correct, BUT,

No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

LA Carry ? Anything to add ?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Liko81 wrote:
Correct, BUT,

No Parish/City can enforce a more strict law than the states own constitution allows.

LA Carry ? Anything to add ?

The State pre-emption statute allows for laws that were already in place at the time of it's passing, as well as government buildings and "certain commercial establishments." One may fight those stipulations on Constitutional grounds, but it would be a legthy and costly battle.

aroundlsu

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Jaycob wrote:

It looks to me like it says anyone above the age of 16. "...anyone who has not attained the age of 17.." means anyone 17 and older.