• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Encounter in Spearfish

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

My family and I attended the Pontiac convention last week in Spearfish, and stayed at the Rodeway Inn along I-90. I was sitting in the hotel lobby at a breakfast table with bare feet watching my kids swim, with my SP101 holstered. A fellow guest walked by and did a double-take, and stopped. He asked me if I really thought I needed a gun in a hotel lobby, and asked if I'd shoot him if he said something I didn't like. He commented that a gun looks really out of place in a hotel lobby, and that he just didn't think it was right.

I was a bit taken aback, since I've been OCing for a few months and never had a single encounter, other than a few looks. I didn't do a very good job explaining the cause, but at least I was polite. He said he was in Vietnam (I'm not sure he was old enough to have been there), so he wasn't scared of guns, but I think the whole concept is out of his realm.

I looked at license plates in the parking lot (should have asked him where he's from) and found California, Wisconsin, and Indiana plates (as well as Wyoming and S.D.).

Other than that, the week was great! I found out I need to work on my sales pitch a bit.

SDguy

imported post

Rabbit:

I see that you are from Colorado but OCing in South Dakota. I am glad to see that you feel comfortable doing OC here in my state. Just last week I was in Colorado practicing OC.

Chances are that your encounter was with someone from the left coast (California). My anti gun encounters as well as liberal encounters here have mostly been with former Californiaians who have moved here or are visiting.

I hope more of us honest, law abiding folks continue to open carry so more people get the message that open carry is performed by those who do not want trouble but are ready if it comes along. And, the mere fact that you are prepared with a firearm is going to greatly reduce the possibility that trouble will show itself in your presence.

Hope you had a great family vacation. I would be glad to have you around if I needed help out of a situtation.