• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help choosing a nice, frist gun....

Which 9mm should I look into most?

• Taurus 24/7 Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S&W Sigma

• Sig Sauer P6 (225)

• Total voters

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
dojpros - great advice!! Also well balanced, IMO.

Phonetic Diabetic (cool SN): I have taught 3 women to shoot on my Sig P228 and they all were shooting it fairly accurately and able to field strip it and handle it properly by the end of the day. I don't say that to diminish dojpros advice but rather to limit it to the choices given. Training to use the decocker is IMO just like training to use a 1911 safety - muscle memory and habit.

The DA/SA trigger pull differences on the Sig can be easily learned if you are willing to put in the dry fire trigger time. If you are not willing to put forth such effort it may take some time to get used to as dojpros discussed.

I agree on the training part of it. I'm a 1911 guy and I also have an XD. Both guns have the same trigger pull for every shot. I just got a Sig P6 yesterday and when I first tried the DA pull, it was very difficult while I liked the SA pull better. The more I played with the DA though the better I got with it. Decocker was wierd but again I got used to it after playing with it for a while. This is my first DA/SA gun to own, I 've shot them before though. I doubt it'll replace my EMP as my CC weapon, but it will be a fun range toy.

Sig has a refurbishment plan for used SIGs that are very economical if you ask me: http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/2007-SIG-Customer-Shop-Price-List.pdf

Total cost for my P6 was $290 including shipping and FFL transfer fee. It came with 2 magazines, a cardboard box, cleaning kit, OC duty holster with thumb brake, and 3 magazine carriers (1 with a snap cover and 2 open top). It definitely shows holster wear but after cleaning and disassembling, the gun looks like it wasn't shot much at all. I was suprised to see that the frame rails go the length of the frame. Field stripping is a piece of cake. For another $20, I could have had it refinished but I opted against that. I like the look of the wear on it and it gives it some character.

I'm hoping to hit the range this week to finally try it out. Oh and before I forget, mine came from dansammo.com. I can get apic or two if you're interested.
I'd love pics. Funny story.....I actually went a little bid-happy on Gun Broker. Wasn't paying attention for a minute and I don't know where my head was. I thought I was bidding on a 9mm, but bid on a Walther P22 instead and won the damn thing. I guess I'll see what I can trade it in on once it gets here.

David.Car

imported post

Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
I'd love pics. Funny story.....I actually went a little bid-happy on Gun Broker. Wasn't paying attention for a minute and I don't know where my head was. I thought I was bidding on a 9mm, but bid on a Walther P22 instead and won the damn thing. I guess I'll see what I can trade it in on once it gets here.
Well you ended up with a really fun plinker :)

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
Well you ended up with a really fun plinker :)
As much as I realize that as a fact, this is kind of a cost issue. I can't afford to drop $225+ on a plinker, and get the 9mm or .40 I wanted to home defense. When I get the Walther, I'll probably shoot a brick through it for fun and then see what a dealer can offer me as far as a trade goes.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Look I am a newly wed, we rent from a tri-plex, my wife goes to college and works and I have a full time job.

Money cant be blown.

I bought the Taurus 24/7 9mm Blue with 17+1 Capacity

I really like mine. If you research the background of Taurus and how they started it is pretty neat.

Beretta left Brazil, when they did they left behind their weapon factory tools and all! Taurus was a manufacturing company of other items (dont recall what)... so they started making weapons with Beretta equipment.

The 24/7 PRO models are popular and I have heard nothing but good from those who own them, sell them, and what I have read in reviews.

And I own one... my boss got me hooked on the Taurus year and a half ago. So, I am now a proud owner.

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Look I am a newly wed, we rent from a tri-plex, my wife goes to college and works and I have a full time job.

Money cant be blown.

I bought the Taurus 24/7 9mm Blue with 17+1 Capacity

I really like mine. If you research the background of Taurus and how they started it is pretty neat.

Beretta left Brazil, when they did they left behind their weapon factory tools and all! Taurus was a manufacturing company of other items (dont recall what)... so they started making weapons with Beretta equipment.

The 24/7 PRO models are popular and I have heard nothing but good from those who own them, sell them, and what I have read in reviews.

And I own one... my boss got me hooked on the Taurus year and a half ago. So, I am now a proud owner.
That's very reassuring. I'm weary of buying used, and I like how the Taurus gives good quality at an affordable price. I'm about to go to a shop to see if I can use his FFL to ship my P22 to. Then I'll see what he has.

Dr.Coy

imported post

here is mine... just picked it up yesterday.... dissassembled it twice. was alittle tough at first but found a few tricks the 2nd time i did it...

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

Well, I found an FFL to ship the Walther to. I also asked him if he'd be interested in it, and if he was, what he had. He's trying to talk me into a nice, used Springfield XD .40 or a new FNH FNP-40. I held them....very tempting. I told him thanks for making my decision much harder. :banghead:

eyesopened

imported post

Well maybe this will make your decision easier or harder ;)

The markings mean that this was made in March 1979 and issued to the Nordrhein-Westfallen Police Department. PW ARMS is the importer. There are German Eagle markings on the barrel, frame and slide.

eyesopened

imported post

Another pic. Knife is a Kershaw Avalanche if you're wondering. As you can see there is holster wear on the slide but no rus on the actual metal.

eyesopened

imported post

Internals looked in very good condition. Barrel bore was had very nice ridges on the rifling. The rails looked like the pistolwas hardly shot. The wear on the slide looks like it was from the decocker so I'm thinking that the gun was loaded/unloaded a lot and the decocker was used to bring it back to DA.

eyesopened

imported post

Here are the accessories I got with it. Belt holster, 3 magazine carriers (incidentally my EMP magazine works on them, but the one with the snap doesn't close on it), and the cleaning kit. The gun came in a cardboard box.

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

Looks like you got quite a gun, especially for the price. I don't think I've heard any bad things regarding these West German imports. How does it shoot? Is it picky about ammo?

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh, is that one of those imported Sig P6's? I've seen them online for like $260 or so and I saw one in a store for around $300. They aren't bad looking pistols at all. It seemed like the frame was about what I would call mid-sized.

Bandit

imported post

Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
Looks like you got quite a gun, especially for the price. I don't think I've heard any bad things regarding these West German imports. How does it shoot? Is it picky about ammo?
I picked up a German police trade-in P6 from aimsurplus.com awhile ago. It's also in fantastic condition. My only beef with it is that I can't seem to find a JHP round it will cycle reliably. They always get stuck on the feed ramp.

eyesopened

imported post

Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but the serial number starts with an M so it should handle HP just fine from what I've read. If the SN starts with any letter after K in the alphabet it has a better chance to shooot HP reliabley.

eyesopened

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Oh, is that one of those imported Sig P6's? I've seen them online for like $260 or so and I saw one in a store for around $300. They aren't bad looking pistols at all. It seemed like the frame was about what I would call mid-sized.
I have an EMP for comparison and the grip is slightly longer than that, and it's also slightly thicker. I got it for $290 including shipping and FFL transfer.

eyesopened

imported post

Bandit wrote:
Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
I picked up a German police trade-in P6 from aimsurplus.com awhile ago. It's also in fantastic condition. My only beef with it is that I can't seem to find a JHP round it will cycle reliably. They always get stuck on the feed ramp.
What's you serial number start with? Mine is a M and apparently it should be ok since it's after the K models but I haven't shot it yet.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Oh also, the ribber grip, ribber not rubber, on my gun is awesome! no matter how you pick it up you dont have to readjust your hand... nor does it get slippery or cramp your hand if you hold it for long periods of time, or under stress and your palms sweat or its hot and muggy.

Which living in Panama City, FL and having the ocean right there and surrounding bays on every town corner...humidity is a factor!