• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 1st OC ride

UTOC-45-44

imported post

:celebrate.

Ok, so I was talked into:lol:going down to the Payson Scottish Festivaltogether with JaredBelch on Saturday. We were to meet Mr.Magnum and his family down there.

I wanted for quite some time to get my MC license and finally got it back on 07/02/08.

I have been looking for used bikes on KSL and also for rental opportunities, mainly so that I can ride different kinda bikes and different cc's. I had been looking at a 2004 Honda 750 Shadow to rent from StreetEagle of Utah https://www.rentcentric.com/Client3462/webcustomer/StreetEagleRes.aspx?LocationID=130#fieldPoint, but felt a little bit "insecure" going from a Nighthawk 250 in MC class to a 750.

Anyways, Jared called me Frideay night and wondered if I was gonna go to the Payson Scottish Festivaland I told him that I didn't feel quite so comfortable riding from SLC to Payson (about 1 hour drive/ride) and he suggested that I would come over and practice around his Apartment Complex Parking lot. And so I did. I spent some good time til I felt good about the clutch, gears and turns, bla,bla,bla.

Afte I rode his bike I decided to rent the Shadow. I went straight home and Reserved it from Saturday 0900 - Sunday 0900.

We filled up the bikes and on we went.

During the ride I Oced my S&W 4006:Dall the way. I was fun to ride a bike, scary but fun. I will get use to it. I can absolutely see why so many people have MC accidents due to the fact that they are NOT careful enough but have this cocky attitude that "I am COOL:dude:" which causes accidents and the negligence in operating the bike.

OK..., so now we are down in Payson finding us a Parking spot. I call Mr.Magnum and we all meet.

There are alot of activity that I will skip but anyone that was there can fill in.

We meet Blacksmith and his dad. SGTJensen came littlt after NOON from work

As we are walking around the in Park where the Festival is held we see 4 Payson PD and 1 Sheriff. NONE which even as much as fliches:shock:as we pass by them. As I noticed this a was REALLY impressed. I thought to myself and even said it out loud -"THIS is how ALL LEO's should be as we OC"

Anyways, a few hours into the Festival we sit down to watch some Scottish Games and eat some food.

There are some restrooms next to the field where the Games are held and I felt the need.

As I came out from the restrooms I came to find out that there was a Payson PD waiting right outside.

I walked out from the bathroom and I heard behind me ( I am sharing with you as good as to my recollection)

LEO -"Excuse me, Sir?

I turn around -"Yes?"

LEO -"What Agency are you with?"

TJ -"I'm not"

LEO -"Do you always carry like that?"

TJ -"Yes, I do. There are several others over there with me doing it as well today"

LEO -"Oh,OK"

TJ -"I do have my CFP since there is a School right there" ( We were WITHIN the 1000 ft Federal School Zone)

LEO -"Do you mind if I see it?"

TJ -"Sure"

And I hand it to him and as he JUST looks at it he says -"Thank you for cooperation"

He looks at it and my DL ( I handed that to him as well ) he just says -"WVC, huh?"

I said -"Yup" ( He probably recognized me from the News)

He hands me my CFP and DL back and says "We're fine as long as no one starts bitching about it (referring to OCing)

We shake hand and part ways.

During the Festival there where 2 other Officers that we passed and they didn't do anything.

This was a VERY pleasant OC day and a CITY funtion.

I would like to write Payson PD and commend them on their professionalism and well trained PD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Jared and I headed home we 1st went to visit SGTJensen and PackinMama in Santaquin and visited for about an half an hour or so.

On the way home Jared took me thru Provo Canyon and we rode along the Jordanelle Reservoir, passed thru Heber.

Between Heber and Parleys Canyon we rode along with 3 other bikers for a bit.

When going thru Parley's I was scared, cuz to me the road was horrible and the pretty strong winds did NOT help.

Anyways. I left the bike at Jared's (Union Park & 15th E) for a few hours and got back to ride solo this time. I went to my Best friends Wedding (Poor Soul) @ 9975 So & 2602 W. From the wedding I went home down Bangerter& 41st where I live. I had to have something to eat and my wife wanted tosee the bike.

I took a evening ride down41st to State St and went all the way downto 2nd So.

On the wasdown there there was a few teens in there cars that looked at theS&Wand talked about it some. 1car in particular slowed down and looked at my side and the 2 guys threw up there thumbs in approval and said-"NICE" wiith big smiles:D

I like riding State St because it helped me with "practice" driving in slow traffic. ALOT ofred lights and that helps with cluth training. I was good toride there as I had to learn to read that kind oftraffic.

I came home and thoughtabout going up Big Cottonwood Canyon in early morning.

I decided that I would ridethough it at about 0700. Jared declined as I asked him. He is NOT really a morning person.

I was AWESOME riding up and down the Canyon. BUT I will NEVER do it in the morning EVER again UNLESS Ihave 5 layers of clothing on.I was FREEZING. I had to stop and have some water up the Canyon. On the way back down I really thought about the risk of get hypothermia but told my mind and body to relax.

I had return the bike at 0900 and the fun was over.

As we read the Milage I had on my 1st ride spent 257 miles OCing:celebrate

I now OFFICIALLY want a bike .

Sorry for the long story,

TJ

scorpioajr

imported post

Thats cool you had such good encounters with LEO while riding. Not a bad idea of getting ppl used to the idea of OCing...seein', 'em on bikers, lol.:monkey

goosemama

imported post

Hey you guys!!! What's all this about riding and not letting me know? Oh wait, I was up the mountain at Snowbird for the Bluegrass festival. We had a great time.

When is the next meeting? My internet has been down for over a week (talk about going crazy) and I haven't been able to find out. Let us know! Thanks.

GeneticsDave

imported post

The next meet is in three days, Thursday, July 17th at 6:00 pm at Millrace Park, Taylorsville.

If you'd like to come, please bring your own meat (with seasonings and tools to prepare it, if needed) and a salad that will feed 8-10 people (not necessarily a green salad, but if you do bring the green, bring some dressing as well). Everything else will be provided.

Hope you can make it!

goosemama

imported post

Hey Thanks!!. I'll see if we can make it. Can I bring the Goose? She wears a diaper and won't eat too much of the grass, I promise.

Snoopy

imported post

Congrats on a great day riding....as the saying goes "Any day riding is a good day" or something like that.:cool:

After over 20 years of riding one thing I am sure of is that you can never be too cautious and alert to your surroundings.... I would have to think that your open carry experiences have prepped you to join us bikers......And what a great route up Provo Canyon and down Parleys

And as far as a good ride goes, I am stuck in the Davis Co Parking lot called I-15 and every other road until this stinking season called construction comes to an end, so I could use some "Fresh Air"

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

So does the Payson PD still wear kilts to the festival?

I attended the Pason scottish festival a few times while in college as part of bagpipe band. One of my friend's father was in the Payson PD.

First time I ever met him he was in full uniform with full duty belt but a kilt, instead of trousers. It looked really sharp and even a little more intimidating than cops normally looked to me at that stage of life.

I really wanted to get to the festival this year to connect with some old friends, but too much going on at home. My petite kilt from college needs some serious altering to fit my post-marriage body. But the great kilt has no such limitations and would look pretty good with the colt OCd next to the dirk.

Congrats on the good experience and the motorcycle ride. Do be careful out there and just ride like you were invisible. To far too many drivers, you are.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and had my first street bike before I had a license. Indeed, due to a fluke in scheduling, I passed my motorcycle riding test before I could take the driving test and have carried Utah Motorcyle endorsement since I got that first license way too many years ago.

But I gave up the street bikes shortly before I got married as I figured the risk was a little high for a guy with a wife and kids relying on him. I look forward to getting the kids raised and once again enjoying a bike.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

goosemama wrote:
Hey Thanks!!. I'll see if we can make it. Can I bring the Goose? She wears a diaper and won't eat too much of the grass, I promise.
Bring a goose? Heck yeah!! That is some good eatin'!
eating.gif
party0021.gif

What? We can't eat it??? Oh well, I still think you should bring it!
thumbsup.gif

UTOC-45-44

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:

I attended the Pason scottish festival a few times while in college as part of bagpipe band. One of my friend's father was in the Payson PD.

First time I ever met him he was in full uniform with full duty belt but a kilt, instead of trousers. It looked really sharp and even a little more intimidating than cops normally looked to me at that stage of life.

I really wanted to get to the festival this year to connect with some old friends, but too much going on at home. My petite kilt from college needs some serious altering to fit my post-marriage body. But the great kilt has no such limitations and would look pretty good with the colt OCd next to the dirk.

Congrats on the good experience and the motorcycle ride. Do be careful out there and just ride like you were invisible. To far too many drivers, you are.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and had my first street bike before I had a license. Indeed, due to a fluke in scheduling, I passed my motorcycle riding test before I could take the driving test and have carried Utah Motorcyle endorsement since I got that first license way too many years ago.

But I gave up the street bikes shortly before I got married as I figured the risk was a little high for a guy with a wife and kids relying on him. I look forward to getting the kids raised and once again enjoying a bike.

Charles

I saw 1 officer in his kilt but NO SIDEARM with it:shock:.

TJ