• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 1st OC ride

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
:celebrate.

Ok, so I was talked into:lol:going down to the Payson Scottish Festivaltogether with JaredBelch on Saturday. We were to meet Mr.Magnum and his family down there.

I wanted for quite some time to get my MC license and finally got it back on 07/02/08.

I have been looking for used bikes on KSL and also for rental opportunities, mainly so that I can ride different kinda bikes and different cc's. I had been looking at a 2004 Honda 750 Shadow to rent from StreetEagle of Utah https://www.rentcentric.com/Client3462/webcustomer/StreetEagleRes.aspx?LocationID=130#fieldPoint, but felt a little bit "insecure" going from a Nighthawk 250 in MC class to a 750.

Anyways, Jared called me Frideay night and wondered if I was gonna go to the Payson Scottish Festivaland I told him that I didn't feel quite so comfortable riding from SLC to Payson (about 1 hour drive/ride) and he suggested that I would come over and practice around his Apartment Complex Parking lot. And so I did. I spent some good time til I felt good about the clutch, gears and turns, bla,bla,bla.

Afte I rode his bike I decided to rent the Shadow. I went straight home and Reserved it from Saturday 0900 - Sunday 0900.

We filled up the bikes and on we went.

During the ride I Oced my S&W 4006:Dall the way. I was fun to ride a bike, scary but fun. I will get use to it. I can absolutely see why so many people have MC accidents due to the fact that they are NOT careful enough but have this cocky attitude that "I am COOL:dude:" which causes accidents and the negligence in operating the bike.

OK..., so now we are down in Payson finding us a Parking spot. I call Mr.Magnum and we all meet.

There are alot of activity that I will skip but anyone that was there can fill in.

We meet Blacksmith and his dad. SGTJensen came littlt after NOON from work

As we are walking around the in Park where the Festival is held we see 4 Payson PD and 1 Sheriff. NONE which even as much as fliches:shock:as we pass by them. As I noticed this a was REALLY impressed. I thought to myself and even said it out loud -"THIS is how ALL LEO's should be as we OC"

Anyways, a few hours into the Festival we sit down to watch some Scottish Games and eat some food.

There are some restrooms next to the field where the Games are held and I felt the need.

As I came out from the restrooms I came to find out that there was a Payson PD waiting right outside.

I walked out from the bathroom and I heard behind me ( I am sharing with you as good as to my recollection)

LEO -"Excuse me, Sir?

I turn around -"Yes?"

LEO -"What Agency are you with?"

TJ -"I'm not"

LEO -"Do you always carry like that?"

TJ -"Yes, I do. There are several others over there with me doing it as well today"

LEO -"Oh,OK"

TJ -"I do have my CFP since there is a School right there" ( We were WITHIN the 1000 ft Federal School Zone)

LEO -"Do you mind if I see it?"

TJ -"Sure"

And I hand it to him and as he JUST looks at it he says -"Thank you for cooperation"

He looks at it and my DL ( I handed that to him as well ) he just says -"WVC, huh?"

I said -"Yup" ( He probably recognized me from the News)

He hands me my CFP and DL back and says "We're fine as long as no one starts bitching about it (referring to OCing)

We shake hand and part ways.

During the Festival there where 2 other Officers that we passed and they didn't do anything.

This was a VERY pleasant OC day and a CITY funtion.

I would like to write Payson PD and commend them on their professionalism and well trained PD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Jared and I headed home we 1st went to visit SGTJensen and PackinMama in Santaquin and visited for about an half an hour or so.

On the way home Jared took me thru Provo Canyon and we rode along the Jordanelle Reservoir, passed thru Heber.

Between Heber and Parleys Canyon we rode along with 3 other bikers for a bit.

When going thru Parley's I was scared, cuz to me the road was horrible and the pretty strong winds did NOT help.

Anyways. I left the bike at Jared's (Union Park & 15th E) for a few hours and got back to ride solo this time. I went to my Best friends Wedding (Poor Soul) @ 9975 So & 2602 W. From the wedding I went home down Bangerter& 41st where I live. I had to have something to eat and my wife wanted tosee the bike.

I took a evening ride down41st to State St and went all the way downto 2nd So.

On the wasdown there there was a few teens in there cars that looked at theS&Wand talked about it some. 1car in particular slowed down and looked at my side and the 2 guys threw up there thumbs in approval and said-"NICE" wiith big smiles:D

I like riding State St because it helped me with "practice" driving in slow traffic. ALOT ofred lights and that helps with cluth training. I was good toride there as I had to learn to read that kind oftraffic.

I came home and thoughtabout going up Big Cottonwood Canyon in early morning.

I decided that I would ridethough it at about 0700. Jared declined as I asked him. He is NOT really a morning person.

I was AWESOME riding up and down the Canyon. BUT I will NEVER do it in the morning EVER again UNLESS Ihave 5 layers of clothing on.I was FREEZING. I had to stop and have some water up the Canyon. On the way back down I really thought about the risk of get hypothermia but told my mind and body to relax.

I had return the bike at 0900 and the fun was over.

As we read the Milage I had on my 1st ride spent 257 miles OCing:celebrate

I now OFFICIALLY want a bike .

Sorry for the long story,

TJ

SSPX0055-1-1.jpg

Francis Marion

imported post

I used to OC both my 1911 and my Rem 700 on my MC to the range in AZ all the time. No good rifle ranges that I have found here yet so I havn't tried it in UT.

A couple things to keep in mind when riding. Crotch rockets are the most accident prone bikes and they are usually the bikers fault; touring bikes are the least accident prone and they are almost always the other drivers fault. Bikes may be invisible but guns get noticed so OCing on a MC helps even if all they see is a gun floating down the road.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

yo101jimmy wrote:
Ok went on my first OC ride today out towards the west desert.

Here is a pic my friend got for me in Saratoga springs

NICE !

What kinda bike is that ? and of course what kinda sidearm?

TJ

yo101jimmy

imported post

my bike is a 98 Kawasaki concours

My side arm is a Norinco Tokarev 9 mm
I hope the next ride I go on I will have my 1911 on a lefty holster

Snoopy

imported post

hey yo101jimmy, that bike looks familiar.. but the wrong color

mine, btw, is an '01. Sorry for the factory pic but for some reason I am too busy riding to stop and take pictures of myself... not that I dont want to mind ya.

As for Open Carrying on the bike, just waiting for the right holster to go with my new Beretta Px4... I'm told its in the mail

yo101jimmy

imported post

Snoopy wrote:
hey yo101jimmy, that bike looks familiar.. but the wrong color

mine, btw, is an '01. Sorry for the factory pic but for some reason I am too busy riding to stop and take pictures of myself... not that I dont want to mind ya.

As for Open Carrying on the bike, just waiting for the right holster to go with my new Beretta Px4... I'm told its in the mail
NOPE thats the right color ! :lol: I am wanting to get a left handed holster my self but have to wait for a bit. WE NEED AN OC RIDE BAD!!! lol

thx997303

imported post

I have been riding a few bikes, and I have found one that I really like.

Honda Shadow Aero 750 The thing rides and handles great.

Unless I find a bike I like better, when I come back, I'll be buying one.

Then waiting out the winter to ride it:banghead::banghead:

I'll be there for an OC ride in 2010! :celebrate:banghead::celebrate:banghead::celebrate:banghead::celebrate