Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: OCDO get together, August 2nd, Las Vegas

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    Proposed:

    PT's Pub at 4310 E. Tropicana Ave. in Las Vegas
    Saturday, August, 2nd at 2:00pm

    This is just off the 93/95/515 at the Tropicana Ave exit.

    If anyone is interested in doing a little shooting after the meet-up, there are two gun ranges nearby:

    American Shooters
    1212 N Boulder Hwy
    Henderson, NV 89011

    The Gun Store
    2900 E Tropicana Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89121

    The Gun Store is a no-lead range. THey make you bring or buy your own frangible ammo. American Shooters has no such restrictions.

    I'm open to suggestions for a different time/place if this doesn't work for folks. I'm having a baby on Wednesday, so will likely be out of pocket most of this week.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    awesome, i work near there, it's pretty easy to get too.

    congrats on the baby bob....



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The High Plains, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    134

    Post imported post

    Awesome! I can go to the gun show in the morning, maybe even get some new hardware to show off!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    oooh yeah, the show...conflict of interest here. i wanted my wife to come with me to that...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    yeahYeah wrote:
    oooh yeah, the show...conflict of interest here. i wanted my wife to come with me to that...
    I don't see a conflict. Take her to the show, then to come meet some OCers. Assuming the show doesn't freak her out too much.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    i don't think it would. she is surrounded by ak's and handguns at home. If the gun show looks like that scene in Lord of War, then I may have a problem.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    I was a little bit freaked out the first time I went to one, but I wasn't around guns before that. The first gun I fired was the SKS I bought at that gun show.


    Lord of War -- Good movie. Someone over on XDTalk mentioned a while back watching that movie laying on the couch in their underwear while stroking an AK, and asked if it's normal to get wood when they show the warehouse full of underfolders.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    AnakinsKid wrote:
    I was a little bit freaked out the first time I went to one, but I wasn't around guns before that. The first gun I fired was the SKS I bought at that gun show.


    Lord of War -- Good movie. Someone over on XDTalk mentioned a while back watching that movie laying on the couch in their underwear while stroking an AK, and asked if it's normal to get wood when they show the warehouse full of underfolders.
    that movie is conducive to such behavior. if you like the AK (like me) you will love that movie!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    I watched it with my SKS laying across my lap. Good movie.

    Back on topic: The date and time sound good to me. I work nights and usually wake up around 12-1pm, so I'll try not to oversleep.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    We'll give you a wake-up call. :-)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    Sounds good bob. Only problem I have is those ranges... both of those stores disarm their patrons upon entry

    Shane.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    icode wrote:
    Sounds good bob. Only problem I have is those ranges... both of those stores disarm their patrons upon entry

    Shane.
    I've CC'd in the gun store... but i can't stand that place, period.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Ditto on the Gun Store...

    They scared my wife enough that she now hates shooting guns... :X

    Ifshe wanted to shoot with a drill sargent she could have joined the army.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    combatcarry wrote:
    Ditto on the Gun Store...

    They scared my wife enough that she now hates shooting guns... :X

    Ifshe wanted to shoot with a drill sargent she could have joined the army.
    That stinks :XAlso it seems strange to me, the guys in there were very nice to my wife every time we went there. The ONLY reason I won't go back is that the last time we visited the store I was disarmed. combat - you and your wife should come shooting with my family, your wife will like it again

    Anyway... sounds like the meet is on, but the shoot is questionable???

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    The shoot was really just an optional thing in case folks felt like it. I prefer not to shoot at any of the indoor ranges here, to be honest. But, I'm game to do it if there are others interested.

    It would be fun to schedule a "family shoot" somewhere once the weather cools down a bit. Pack up the coolers, kids, easy-ups and make a day of it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    bobernet wrote:
    The shoot was really just an optional thing in case folks felt like it. I prefer not to shoot at any of the indoor ranges here, to be honest. But, I'm game to do it if there are others interested.

    It would be fun to schedule a "family shoot" somewhere once the weather cools down a bit. Pack up the coolers, kids, easy-ups and make a day of it.
    i like the sound of that.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    bobernet wrote:
    The shoot was really just an optional thing in case folks felt like it. I prefer not to shoot at any of the indoor ranges here, to be honest. But, I'm game to do it if there are others interested.

    It would be fun to schedule a "family shoot" somewhere once the weather cools down a bit. Pack up the coolers, kids, easy-ups and make a day of it.
    Sounds great! You're right it is truly too friggen hot to make a day of it. We're going to go out in the evening around 6 and shoot for a couple hours. But when it does cool down I'm in for the day event! :celebrate

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    the second at 2pm sounds good to me. Is PTs gonna hassle us? I won't shoot at the Gun Store, it costs too much. They wouldn't allow me to carry my CCW pistol loaded and holstered out of the range. I didn't like that.



    I prefer Discount Firearms for an indoor range. American Shooters lost me a long long time ago. I'll probably just come to hang anyway. An outdoor shoot sometime sounds fun, tho. That's the only way to practice practical "real-life" shooting scenarios (rapid fire working from the holster, shooting from the hip, multiple targets, etc...)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    Wheel wrote:
    the second at 2pm sounds good to me. Is PTs gonna hassle us? I won't shoot at the Gun Store, it costs too much. They wouldn't allow me to carry my CCW pistol loaded and holstered out of the range. I didn't like that.



    I prefer Discount Firearms for an indoor range. American Shooters lost me a long long time ago. I'll probably just come to hang anyway. An outdoor shoot sometime sounds fun, tho. That's the only way to practice practical "real-life" shooting scenarios (rapid fire working from the holster, shooting from the hip, multiple targets, etc...)
    i agree. discount is the best - bring your own ammo, reasonably priced, but they have sticks up their rear ends about firing 2 shots consecutively, so "training" is out of the picture unless we shoot outdoors, away from it all.

    I'd prefer the outdoor shoot when it gets cooler...

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    yes, I think that's the case with all the indoor ranges. It's a safety issue and I don't really blame them considering some of the idiots out there.

    Outdoors only for real practice!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    Wheel wrote:
    yes, I think that's the case with all the indoor ranges.* It's a safety issue and I don't really blame them considering some of the idiots out there.

    Outdoors only for real practice!
    Double tapping, rapid fire, and open or concealed carry at an indoor range are both safety and insurance issues. The premiums to insure an indoor range are extremely high.

    Range owners and insurance carriers fear that AD that leads to serious injury or death. There are stupid people out there. Remember that idiot ATF agent who was the only one "expert" enough in his classroom to handle his Glock 40 S&W? Shot himself right in the foot and with children around. Remember that idiot female Las Vegas police officer who almost shot a handcuffed suspect? Things like this can happen anytime.

    The owners that allow open or concealed carry in indoor ranges are taking a big risk and are subjecting themselves to some big lawsuits if something bad happens.

    While I believe in the right to open or conceal carry anywhere the law allows, I can understand the owners' side of it. I have never been to the two ranges mentioned above, so I am not defending them on a personal level.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    calmp9 wrote:
    Wheel wrote:
    yes, I think that's the case with all the indoor ranges. It's a safety issue and I don't really blame them considering some of the idiots out there.

    Outdoors only for real practice!
    Double tapping, rapid fire, and open or concealed carry at an indoor range are both safety and insurance issues. The premiums to insure an indoor range are extremely high.

    Range owners and insurance carriers fear that AD that leads to serious injury or death. There are stupid people out there. Remember that idiot ATF agent who was the only one "expert" enough in his classroom to handle his Glock 40 S&W? Shot himself right in the foot and with children around. Remember that idiot female Las Vegas police officer who almost shot a handcuffed suspect? Things like this can happen anytime.

    The owners that allow open or concealed carry in indoor ranges are taking a big risk and are subjecting themselves to some big lawsuits if something bad happens.

    While I believe in the right to open or conceal carry anywhere the law allows, I can understand the owners' side of it. I have never been to the two ranges mentioned above, so I am not defending them on a personal level.




    agree.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    calmp9 wrote:
    Wheel wrote:
    yes, I think that's the case with all the indoor ranges. It's a safety issue and I don't really blame them considering some of the idiots out there.

    Outdoors only for real practice!
    Double tapping, rapid fire, and open or concealed carry at an indoor range are both safety and insurance issues. The premiums to insure an indoor range are extremely high.

    Range owners and insurance carriers fear that AD that leads to serious injury or death. There are stupid people out there. Remember that idiot ATF agent who was the only one "expert" enough in his classroom to handle his Glock 40 S&W? Shot himself right in the foot and with children around. Remember that idiot female Las Vegas police officer who almost shot a handcuffed suspect? Things like this can happen anytime.

    The owners that allow open or concealed carry in indoor ranges are taking a big risk and are subjecting themselves to some big lawsuits if something bad happens.

    While I believe in the right to open or conceal carry anywhere the law allows, I can understand the owners' side of it. I have never been to the two ranges mentioned above, so I am not defending them on a personal level.
    But that is the business THEY CHOSE to get into. No one forced them to open a gun store and range. And of course no one can force them to allow OC in their store either. IMO if you're going into the business you accept the risks that go along with it, those that don't and therefore don't allow OC in their store/range WON'T get my support, period.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    Who's going to be at PT's on saturday?


    i'm about 90% sure i can make it....

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    Same here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •