• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO get together, August 2nd, Las Vegas

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Proposed:

PT's Pub at 4310 E. Tropicana Ave. in Las Vegas
Saturday, August, 2nd at 2:00pm

This is just off the 93/95/515 at the Tropicana Ave exit.

If anyone is interested in doing a little shooting after the meet-up, there are two gun ranges nearby:

American Shooters
1212 N Boulder Hwy
Henderson, NV 89011

The Gun Store
[size="-1"]2900 E Tropicana Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89121

The Gun Store is a no-lead range. THey make you bring or buy your own frangible ammo. American Shooters has no such restrictions.

I'm open to suggestions for a different time/place if this doesn't work for folks. I'm having a baby on Wednesday, so will likely be out of pocket most of this week.[/size]

AnakinsKid

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
oooh yeah, the show...conflict of interest here. i wanted my wife to come with me to that...
I don't see a conflict. Take her to the show, then to come meet some OCers. Assuming the show doesn't freak her out too much.

yeahYeah

imported post

i don't think it would. she is surrounded by ak's and handguns at home. If the gun show looks like that scene in Lord of War, then I may have a problem.

AnakinsKid

imported post

I was a little bit freaked out the first time I went to one, but I wasn't around guns before that. The first gun I fired was the SKS I bought at that gun show.

Lord of War -- Good movie. Someone over on XDTalk mentioned a while back watching that movie laying on the couch in their underwear while stroking an AK, and asked if it's normal to get wood when they show the warehouse full of underfolders.

yeahYeah

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
I was a little bit freaked out the first time I went to one, but I wasn't around guns before that. The first gun I fired was the SKS I bought at that gun show.

Lord of War -- Good movie. Someone over on XDTalk mentioned a while back watching that movie laying on the couch in their underwear while stroking an AK, and asked if it's normal to get wood when they show the warehouse full of underfolders.
that movie is conducive to such behavior. if you like the AK (like me) you will love that movie!

AnakinsKid

imported post

I watched it with my SKS laying across my lap. Good movie.

Back on topic: The date and time sound good to me. I work nights and usually wake up around 12-1pm, so I'll try not to oversleep.

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
Sounds good bob. Only problem I have is those ranges... both of those stores disarm their patrons upon entry:cuss:

Shane.
I've CC'd in the gun store... but i can't stand that place, period.

combatcarry

imported post

Ditto on the Gun Store...

They scared my wife enough that she now hates shooting guns... :X

Ifshe wanted to shoot with a drill sargent she could have joined the army.

icode

imported post

combatcarry wrote:
Ditto on the Gun Store...

They scared my wife enough that she now hates shooting guns... :X

Ifshe wanted to shoot with a drill sargent she could have joined the army.

That stinks :XAlso it seems strange to me, the guys in there were very nice to my wife every time we went there. The ONLY reason I won't go back is that the last time we visited the store I was disarmed. combat - you and your wife should come shooting with my family, your wife will like it again:)

Anyway... sounds like the meet is on, but the shoot is questionable???

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The shoot was really just an optional thing in case folks felt like it. I prefer not to shoot at any of the indoor ranges here, to be honest. But, I'm game to do it if there are others interested.

It would be fun to schedule a "family shoot" somewhere once the weather cools down a bit. Pack up the coolers, kids, easy-ups and make a day of it.

yeahYeah

imported post

bobernet wrote:
The shoot was really just an optional thing in case folks felt like it. I prefer not to shoot at any of the indoor ranges here, to be honest. But, I'm game to do it if there are others interested.

It would be fun to schedule a "family shoot" somewhere once the weather cools down a bit. Pack up the coolers, kids, easy-ups and make a day of it.
i like the sound of that.

icode

imported post

bobernet wrote:

Sounds great! You're right it is truly too friggen hot to make a day of it. We're going to go out in the evening around 6 and shoot for a couple hours. But when it does cool down I'm in for the day event! :celebrate

Wheel

imported post

the second at 2pm sounds good to me. Is PTs gonna hassle us? I won't shoot at the Gun Store, it costs too much. They wouldn't allow me to carry my CCW pistol loaded and holstered out of the range. I didn't like that.

I prefer Discount Firearms for an indoor range. American Shooters lost me a long long time ago. I'll probably just come to hang anyway. An outdoor shoot sometime sounds fun, tho. That's the only way to practice practical "real-life" shooting scenarios (rapid fire working from the holster, shooting from the hip, multiple targets, etc...)

yeahYeah

imported post

Wheel wrote:
the second at 2pm sounds good to me. Is PTs gonna hassle us? I won't shoot at the Gun Store, it costs too much. They wouldn't allow me to carry my CCW pistol loaded and holstered out of the range. I didn't like that.

I prefer Discount Firearms for an indoor range. American Shooters lost me a long long time ago. I'll probably just come to hang anyway. An outdoor shoot sometime sounds fun, tho. That's the only way to practice practical "real-life" shooting scenarios (rapid fire working from the holster, shooting from the hip, multiple targets, etc...)
i agree. discount is the best - bring your own ammo, reasonably priced, but they have sticks up their rear ends about firing 2 shots consecutively, so "training" is out of the picture unless we shoot outdoors, away from it all.

I'd prefer the outdoor shoot when it gets cooler...

Wheel

imported post

yes, I think that's the case with all the indoor ranges. It's a safety issue and I don't really blame them considering some of the idiots out there.

Outdoors only for real practice!