• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick and Safe accesibility.

thx997303

imported post

So, I was reading some thread somewhere about keeping a gun readily accessible at night, and I started thinking about a safe yet accessible way to keep my firearm by the bed.

I like to keep a round chambered and the trigger guard covered, which used to mean keeping it in the holster on the nightstand. But that way was difficult to unholster the weapon as it requires two hands.

So I did this.

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

I stuck a duty belt I had between one of the mattresses and the box spring of my bed, and attach my Serpa using the paddle.

Now it's really accessible, the trigger guard is covered, and I think it's just cool.

What do you all think about this one?

nova

imported post

I keep my Smith .38 loaded in a thumb break holster (that covers the trigger guard)on a stack of yearbooks next to my bed. The thumb break I keep unsnapped so I can push the holster off of the gun with one hand. I'd put it in my night stand but I have a bunch of ammo and other crap in there, and on top I don't want it pointing in any direction someone walks though or out in an obvious spot. On the stack of books on the other side it puts it below the top of the bed but about a foot and a half off of the floor.

Works for me :)

thx997303

imported post

Sorry to disapoint you RIAShooter, but I actually have a frame underneath the bed.

And yes I have a nightstand, you can see it on the right side of the second picture.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The cant seems like it would be onward drawing from a lying down position. It cants towards the head of the bed.

thx997303

imported post

It does cant toward the head of the bed, but it's at a point where I reach back towards it, so the cant is perfect.

I set it like that so I could just take it off my belt and put it on my bed when I go to sleep.

tattedupboy

imported post

How creative! In the event of a home invasion, however, drawing from a Serpa (which I have done) can be quite noisy and that noise can alert the invader to your location. I think you'd be better off putting the gun in a leather or nylon holster so that drawing the gun from it is not as noisy, and does not alert the intruder to your location.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
How creative! In the event of a home invasion, however, drawing from a Serpa (which I have done) can be quite noisy and that noise can alert the invader to your location. I think you'd be better off putting the gun in a leather or nylon holster so that drawing the gun from it is not as noisy, and does not alert the intruder to your location.
I prefer to alert the intruder to my location. Soon I will be getting a pump action shotgun for home defense. Nothing says get out of my house like pumping a shotgun.

David.Car

imported post

asforme wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
I prefer to alert the intruder to my location. Soon I will be getting a pump action shotgun for home defense. Nothing says get out of my house like pumping a shotgun.
I as well. Looking for a good deal on an 870.

tattedupboy

imported post

asforme wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
Why? Isn't stealth better? Isn't alerting him to your location giving him the advantage?

thx997303

imported post

Not if I'm ready for him. If you have ever done force on force MOUT training, you know that the entrenched party has the advantage.

David.Car

imported post

One of the most recognizeable noises in the world is the chambering of a shotgun. That should usually be more than enough to send people the other way.

thx997303

imported post

You know, I never have believed in a sound like that sending someone running.

If they are there to hurt you, they will probably try anyway.

David.Car

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
You know, I never have believed in a sound like that sending someone running.

If they are there to hurt you, they will probably try anyway.
If they are there to hurt you yes. But the most common home defense scenario is against someone trying to steal some stuff, and they are much more apt to run away from confrontation.

Pointman

imported post

I think you should just turn on the light. Once they see the pea-green 60's shag carpet, they'll realize the tube stereo components aren't worth the effort and walk out the way they came in.

:celebrate(Said in fun, of course!)

cassie

imported post

I don't think my carpet's pea green. Then again, I'm not really sure what color it is.

Maybe it's time to get a new apartment.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

David.Car wrote:
One of the most recognizeable noises in the world is the chambering of a shotgun. That should usually be more than enough to send people the other way.
I really like theboxotruth's comment on this:

"I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Hey kool, another reason not to use Serpa! I hadn't thought of that! :p