• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA CHP traveling to OBX

mellman

imported post

Hey all,

I'll be making a trip down to OBX in early august. We'll be staying in Duck. I've been going there for years and never remember seeing anyone Open carrying. I plan to CC whenever possible, as I've heard some stories about "man with a gun" in NC that i'd rather not be involved in!

I am having a hard time finding the laws regarding CC in NC, and would appreciate if someone could fill me in.

Specifically, carrying in a place that serves alcohol (specifically the black pelican) I am aware of the law that allows private property owners to prohibit firearms on their property, however in the great state of VA we're required to switch to OPEN carry if the establishment has an ABC license. (stupid kaine)

The town of Duck's website doesn't appear to be working for me, so I can't read on there, and the NC laws seemed rather vague on the issues.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

mkl

imported post

Can't legally CC or OC into anywhere that serves alcohol.

See:
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

No carrying into various state owned buildings
See:
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.4.html

No carrying at parades, funerals, processions
See:
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

I also thought that carry was banned into banks in NC, but I can't find a reference...anyone?

mellman

imported post

I did see banks...however it said federal banks, does that mean all banks since any bank nowadays is FDIC insured?

Thank you very much, looks like the only place i'd be able to CC is the grocery store, and the house...

mkl

imported post

mellman wrote:
I did see banks...however it said federal banks, does that mean all banks since any bank nowadays is FDIC insured?

Thank you very much, looks like the only place i'd be able to CC is the grocery store, and the house...

I can't find a state reference banning carrying in banks for NC, but could be missing it. FDIC insured doesn't make a bank a "federal property" so it doesn't fall under 18 USC 930 , as far as I read it.
See:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

for what defines a "federal facility"

So I am not sure what law bans bank carry...Or if there is one. Someone who knows more about NC law will hopefully jump in.

Custodian

acritical

imported post

Concealed carry is not allowed in banks, however Open Carry is.

Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:

1)any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1. (School grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades);

2)any area prohibited by 18 USC 922 or any other federal law;

3)in any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;

4)in a building housing only state or federal offices;

5)in an office of the state or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the state or federal government;

6)a financial institution; or

7)any premises, except state owned rest areas or stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

This is found strictly under the concealed carry section of the law. I have had many conversations with multiple attorney's, emailed the AG and Wake County Sheriff. They all agree that in NC, the portion about financial institutions cover concealed carry only.

Custodian

imported post

My financial institution is the State Employees Credit Union, which states "No Concealed Weapons". I have personally Open Carried there and have seen many non LEO Open Carry into their locations many times.