• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transporting a pistal

ruger45

imported post

i just talked to a michigan state police sargent on the phone and told him i do not have a ccw so i was wondering how to leaggly transport my weapon in my truck from home to the store.he said well you could get in trouble for concilled weapon.i said even if it is unloaded?he said yescause you must have a good reason to have it like going to the gun range and you could get hassled.he said going to the store is not a good reason.i have read the laws but i kinda did not understand about transporting thats why i called.iunder stand i should get accw but it might be a while do to money so can anyone tell me if he is right.i have been ocing and love it but now i am nervous again.icalled curonna road post in flint.

:banghead:

warlockmatized

imported post

You CAN transport it to the gun shop provided it IS cased/locked and NOT accessible by ANY of the occupants.

EDIT: here you go... example 2 bolded by me. A place of repair WOULD be a gun shop :)

[align=left]2) If you don’t have a CPL, you must transport your handgun as prescribe by law.
[/align]Michigan State Police Web Site. Transporting a pistol in a motor vehicle?
Answer A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as: 1) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. 2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair. 3) While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business. 4) While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol. 5) While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale. 6) While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted. 7) While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

ruger45

imported post

yea i have read that but i asked him about from home to a place of buisness and he said yea if you work there other wise you could be in trouble for consiled weapon

warlockmatized

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
yea i have read that but i asked him about from home to a place of buisness and he said yea if you work there other wise you could be in trouble for consiled weapon
2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.

nuff said.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
i just talked to a michigan state police sargent on the phone and told him i do not have a ccw so i was wondering how to leaggly transport my weapon in my truck from home to the store.he said well you could get in trouble for concilled weapon.i said even if it is unloaded?he said yescause you must have a good reason to have it like going to the gun range and you could get hassled.he said going to the store is not a good reason.i have read the laws but i kinda did not understand about transporting thats why i called.iunder stand i should get accw but it might be a while do to money so can anyone tell me if he is right.i have been ocing and love it but now i am nervous again.icalled curonna road post in flint.

Somewhat off topic:

Ruger, I hope this lawful transport thing is not keeping you from attending the OC events. If you're concerned about tranporting wihout a CPL, you can always get a ride from me. I live about 3 minutes from you so there's no excuse not to attend. :)

I plan on going to the Warren picnic but wont know for sure until then. If you want you can hitch a ride from me. I will be attending the Charity Event (Sept 12 & 13), as well.

ruger45

imported post

thanks alot for the offer i might take you up onit but i just wanted

to know the law but the police say one thing and the law another so who is right??

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ruger45 wrote:

Tell that trooper to talk to his legal liaison Sgt. Deasy. The good Sgt. stated to me via a phone call that the MSP position is that transport for all lawful reasons is legal and the list in the law is just a few examples of lawful carry. He said some PD feel it is an all inclusive list and will hassle you. So it's a grey area. Tell the trooper you talk to to call: Or call Sgt. Deasy yourself and report to him the trooper you talked to so Sgt. Deasy can contact the trooper himslf.

Sgt. Thomas Deasy, Michigan State Police

Executive Resource Section, 714 S. Harrison Rd.

East Lansing, MI 48823

(517) 336-6441

Venator

imported post

I just sent an email to Sen. Crospey on what the legislative intent was in the examples of lawful purposes given in 750.231a Exceptions to § 750.227(2); definitions.
Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:…….

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle……

(b) “Lawful purpose”[/b] includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/b]

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.[/b]

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.[/b]

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed on the pistol as is required by section 9 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.429, or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.[/b]

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.[/b]

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/b]

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/b]
. Will post any response I get.

ruger45

imported post

called back today talked to a ladies sargent she said as long as i have it in a locked container and unloaded.but if someone was to see me loading it and putting it in my holster i would get the police called on me and it would be a big mess for me to have to go through.thank you for sending that email for me to help me get this figured out

Venator

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
called back today talked to a ladies sargent she said as long as i have it in a locked container and unloaded.but if someone was to see me loading it and putting it in my holster i would get the police called on me and it would be a big mess for me to have to go through.thank you for sending that email for me to help me get this figured out
Just more propaganda to stop open carry. Many of our members do just that and don't have the police called on them.

Greggy_D

imported post

Venator wrote:
I just sent an email to Sen. Crospey on what the legislative intent was in the examples of lawful purposes given in 750.231a Exceptions to § 750.227(2); definitions.
Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:…….

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle……

(b) “Lawful purpose”[/b] includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/b]

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.[/b]

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.[/b]

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed on the pistol as is required by section 9 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.429, or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.[/b]

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.[/b]

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/b]

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/b]
. Will post any response I get.
Yes, it will be good to know if these are just examples (and only examples), with many more "lawful purposes" not explicitly listed in the law.