Thread: new rifle

State Researcher

Post imported post

1896 production Steyr Dutch M95 Mannlicher (NOT to be confused with the Austrian M95 Steyr-Mannlicher straight pull, this Dutch rifle has a turnbolt like a mauser) in 6.5x53r caliber. Modified in the early days of WWII into a police carbine for Dutch colonial troops in Indonesia.

Post imported post

Man what a beautiful piece. Can't wait until I can get into older rifle/shotgun ownership and clean up some more pieces.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Holo wrote:
    Man what a beautiful piece. Can't wait until I can get into older rifle/shotgun ownership and clean up some more pieces.
    Thanks. It actually is kinda bad, pitting and a rusty patina but overall it has character. It was a gift from a friend, and I'm gonna get some ammo and clips for it, and give it a whirl. Probably restore it as best I can, the 6.5mm cartridge is very ballistically interesting.

If you want to start playing with vintage guns go down to big 5 next time they have a sale and buy a mosin nagant...

Post imported post

Nice rifle. Lemme know if you wanna add a straight-pull Austrian one to your collection.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    Nice rifle. Lemme know if you wanna add a straight-pull Austrian one to your collection.
    mebbe if the price is right

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Holo wrote:
    Thanks. It actually is kinda bad, pitting and a rusty patina but overall it has character. It was a gift from a friend, and I'm gonna get some ammo and clips for it, and give it a whirl. Probably restore it as best I can, the 6.5mm cartridge is very ballistically interesting.

If you want to start playing with vintage guns go down to big 5 next time they have a sale and buy a mosin nagant...
    Yeah I've been thinkin about making a Mosin my next purchase. Wife and I are moving into a house this month though, so I have to put rifle/shotgun restoration plans on the backburner

Oh well, at least I'll have my workshop soon! :celebrate

Post imported post

NICE!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

State Researcher

Post imported post

As an update some serious scrubbing with bore solvent has revealed a very shootable if lightly frosted bore. Now if I could just do something about the ammo problem...

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    As an update some serious scrubbing with bore solvent has revealed a very shootable if lightly frosted bore. Now if I could just do something about the ammo problem...
    RELOAD your own. You just keepnot hearing me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    RELOAD your own. You just keepnot hearing me.
    Oh I'm listening. :P

First I have to make the brass. Off the shelf brass is HIDEOUSLY expensive. One can mod any number of rimmed cases .303, 7.62x54r, .30-40 Krag, etc... Then trim to length and anneal.

It's a learning curve! I'm still not the dedicated handloader you are. Working on it though! I'm gonna make this old beast rise again and belch fire like it was meant to!