• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new rifle

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

1896 production Steyr Dutch M95 Mannlicher (NOT to be confused with the Austrian M95 Steyr-Mannlicher straight pull, this Dutch rifle has a turnbolt like a mauser) in 6.5x53r caliber. Modified in the early days of WWII into a police carbine for Dutch colonial troops in Indonesia.

2669250070_6098ce8589.jpg

2668429297_f718c30b5f.jpg

2669249096_551f28f251.jpg

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Holo wrote:
Man what a beautiful piece. Can't wait until I can get into older rifle/shotgun ownership and clean up some more pieces.
Thanks. It actually is kinda bad, pitting and a rusty patina but overall it has character. It was a gift from a friend, and I'm gonna get some ammo and clips for it, and give it a whirl. Probably restore it as best I can, the 6.5mm cartridge is very ballistically interesting.

If you want to start playing with vintage guns go down to big 5 next time they have a sale and buy a mosin nagant...

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Nice rifle. Lemme know if you wanna add a straight-pull Austrian one to your collection.

Holo

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Holo wrote:
Man what a beautiful piece. Can't wait until I can get into older rifle/shotgun ownership and clean up some more pieces.
Thanks. It actually is kinda bad, pitting and a rusty patina but overall it has character. It was a gift from a friend, and I'm gonna get some ammo and clips for it, and give it a whirl. Probably restore it as best I can, the 6.5mm cartridge is very ballistically interesting.

If you want to start playing with vintage guns go down to big 5 next time they have a sale and buy a mosin nagant...
Yeah I've been thinkin about making a Mosin my next purchase. Wife and I are moving into a house this month though, so I have to put rifle/shotgun restoration plans on the backburner :cuss:

Oh well, at least I'll have my workshop soon! :celebrate

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As an update some serious scrubbing with bore solvent has revealed a very shootable if lightly frosted bore. Now if I could just do something about the ammo problem...

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
As an update some serious scrubbing with bore solvent has revealed a very shootable if lightly frosted bore. Now if I could just do something about the ammo problem...
RELOAD your own. You just keepnot hearing me.
68.gif

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
RELOAD your own. You just keepnot hearing me.
68.gif
Oh I'm listening. :p

First I have to make the brass. Off the shelf brass is HIDEOUSLY expensive. One can mod any number of rimmed cases .303, 7.62x54r, .30-40 Krag, etc... Then trim to length and anneal.

It's a learning curve! I'm still not the dedicated handloader you are. Working on it though! I'm gonna make this old beast rise again and belch fire like it was meant to!