• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite Shooting Place

holeinhead

imported post

Wade's is the closest range to me. Unfortunately the range fee is like $15!

As far as shooting out side, I've shot in the woods around sultan before, but you need a good 4X4 to get to where I was at, or be willing to hike a ways.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The two outside places I shoot are:

Exit 41 off of I-90 (DNR site can provide specifics)

Capitol State Forest (East of Olympia about 15 minutes)
See: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_capitol_forest_rec_plan.pdf

"Target shooting
Recreational target shooting occurs throughout the block, with the majority
of it occurring along the C-Line Road. Target shooting on the C-Line extends
from the C-Line Road junction with the county’s Sherman Road, all
the way to Camp Wedekind. Triangle Rock Pit, a gravel pit near the intersection
of the Sherman and Waddell Creek county roads, is also a popular
shooting area."

Let me know if you need a guide - be glad to go! :D

Krinkovliu

imported post

Jim675:

Can you be more specific about the shooting area off of I-90, exit 41? I have been looking for a place to fire my hi-cap rifles ever since they closed the Sultan Basin area and the Granite Falls quarry.

Thanks.

Trigger Dr

imported post

1st Saturday of month 500 yd match at Machias, 1st Sunday of month 200 yd match at Poulsbo Sportsman club, 2nd Sunday of month 500 meter match at Eatonville. All of these are Black Powder Cartridge matches. Give it try come over to the dark side. If you don't have a rifle and want to try it, I have extra rifle and ammo you can use.

David.Car

imported post

Only indoor range in town : Sharpshooting $17.00

Only outdoor range in immediate area :SpokaneRifle Club $20.00

Best for buck outdoor, 30-40 min away : Spokane Valley Gun Club (in Mica) $5.00

Edit: Fixed name of one...

compmanio365

imported post

I just go out in the woods east, about a hours drive, but it's out and gone where nobody is going to bother you.....good camping area too. I refuse to pay range fees and put up with BS rules and range nazis........besides the fact that any range around here is incredibly crowded at all times.......

kparker

imported post

besides the fact that any range around here is incredibly crowded at all times.......

Not so: especially if you can go on weekdays, the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club is often fairly empty, and even weekends when there isn't a match going on it's not overly crowded usually.

You do have to be a member to shoot (though the annual membership seems fairly modest to me, and there are no other fees unless you're participating in a match), and you do have to put up with rules that befit its suburban setting (though nothing remotely as pick as Kenmore's.) Still, for those times when you aren't free to spend an hour driving into the country...