• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Serpa

ghosthunter

imported post

Purchased a new Serpa for my SW 9mm Sigma. I like the retention, but not that comfortable to wear. I have tried it with paddle and belt loop and even played around with angles. The holster tips in towards the body some. I like to wear t shirts and that puts it against skin when cc.

I was using a nylon Uncle Mikes with just a belt clip. Seems like it felt better but was a little thicker.

The Serpa came with a little plastic square with a like hook on it and I have no idea what that is for.

Anyone else had these problems or maybe its just my fat body. Most comfortable place is over my right hip pocket when I sit down.

I think the mikes hung lower.

G27

imported post

I love my Serpa for OC but when it comes to CC it sticks out more than a sore thumb. I move back to my Bianchi when I CC as it grips tight to the body and conforms well.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
Purchased a new Serpa for my SW 9mm Sigma.
May I ask which Serpa (to fit what gun) you bought?....I've wanted to try one one but they don't list a model for the Sigma.

just_a_car

imported post

I CC with my G27 in a Serpa CQC with the paddle holster almost every day. I'm certainly no small guy either, as is evident from the picture in this post: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/2807.html

I have no problem with it fitting snugly to my body or being "outed."

I tuck in my t-shirt and always wear an open, button-down overshirt of some kind when I have to CC. This is light and airy and doesn't look out of place as long as the sleeves are short. If they aren't short, then I just roll them up to t-shirt length and I'm good to go.

It may be that your belt isn't cinched up tight enough. From the sounds of your post, with the holster poking your buttock, this may be the case. Cinch up your belt a notch or two and make sure it's made of a thick, stiff genuine leather, preferably one-strip (not stitched-together or glued together).

Also, I found that I can even put the paddle on and off quickly, even with those hooks and a cinched-up belt, but it took some practice with "sliding" it along the belt and pants back and forth to work passed the hooks.

ghosthunter

imported post

The one I got has a sticker on it for Glock 20/21, SW MP .45

New Low Wall, Level lll Serpa Auto Lock Model.

Got it Sportsman Warehouse and we used one of their Sigmas to try in it. We stopped when we got one that locked in right away.

One thingI just noticed is that it is about 2 1/2 inches longer than the barrel where my Mikes holster was within a 1/4 inch of the end of barrel. Could be it is just a little to long. I am going go back and see if I can get one closer in length.

just a car; The paddle really locks on the belt and I had to take my pants loose to get it off. I can see where it takes some practice. think the belt is to loose has I really cinch up on my belt. Even add notches as needed.

Than you for your help.:)

krazichinaman

imported post

Do keep in mind that the Serpa is an OWB holster which doesn't conceal as well as an IWB. As just_a_car mentioned, he can conceal the holster very well with his method. I've seen him do this in person. I have also noticed that a button down shirt (w/ some sort of design) breaks up the "lump." I myself follow the same method of "concealing" my serpa as described by just_a_car.

Also, what sort of belt are you using? Is it a gun belt? Once again, as Geoff mentioned, try to tighten your belt. If its all the way tight, try out an actual gun belt. I have good expereiences with 5.11 belts (Trainer belt and their "casual leather looking belts"). They cost around 20-50$ and they are really stiff. It makes a world of difference when carrying.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
just a car; The paddle really locks on the belt and I had to take my pants loose to get it off. I can see where it takes some practice.
On my Serpa's, I ground off the "hook" on the piece that goes inside the belt. Makes on/off a lot easier. The other two hooks on the outer side still hold the belt well, no worries of it coming off accidently.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

What I'm hearing is, most of you use the paddle... Is the paddle more comfortable than the belt slide attachment? I haven't used the paddle on mine yet, but the slide attachment is not comfortable. I carry a Kimber Tac. Custom II which is a full size 1911. The Slide Att. makes the grip of my gun stick way out. My Galco leather belt-slide holster is way more comfortable. But the SERPA shows off a little more gun, :lol:doesn't cover so much of the frame.

dlnwoody

imported post

Ghosthunter,

What does the extra pice look like. They do sell a pice that will angle the holster out. I use the paddle version for my xd 40 service. The only time it feels bad is when the gun is out of the holster. Can't carry it on base so I take the gun out of the holster and lock it up. If you need a web site for the extra pice let me know.

esstac

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
The Serpa came with a little plastic square with a like hook on it and I have no idea what that is for.
I believe the square plastic piece with the hook you are refering to is for shipping only. It fits snuggly in the holster and looks like it keeps the holster from crushing when boxed up. At least thats how it was sitting in my wifes serpa when we purchased it.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

esstac wrote:
ghosthunter wrote:
I believe the square plastic piece with the hook you are refering to is for shipping only. It fits snuggly in the holster and looks like it keeps the holster from crushing when boxed up. At least thats how it was sitting in my wifes serpa when we purchased it.
esstac is correct, that is just a packaging part, feel free to toss it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have never found any way to carry in a Serpa without an undershirt wherein the gun butt doesn't touch my skin.

And in answer to the other question in the thread, yes I carry with the paddle holster as I occasionally have to remove the holster during the day. Through practice and experience I can now pretty easily don/remove the holster without any issue and without modification. I don't find the belt attachment uncomfortable, just impractical for me.

joeroket

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
The one I got has a sticker on it for Glock 20/21, SW MP .45

New Low Wall, Level lll Serpa Auto Lock Model.

Got it Sportsman Warehouse and we used one of their Sigmas to try in it. We stopped when we got one that locked in right away.

One thingI just noticed is that it is about 2 1/2 inches longer than the barrel where my Mikes holster was within a 1/4 inch of the end of barrel. Could be it is just a little to long. I am going go back and see if I can get one closer in length.

just a car; The paddle really locks on the belt and I had to take my pants loose to get it off. I can see where it takes some practice. think the belt is to loose has I really cinch up on my belt. Even add notches as needed.

Than you for your help.:)
If you have the VE model you probably want to fit one for a G19 or 23, they have a 4.01 inch barrel. The 20/21 is a full sized 4.6 inch barrel model and the VE sigma is only 4.01 barrel. The F model sigma has a 4.49 and would probably take a G17 holster. The only thing that would keep it from locking correctly would be the round guard not reaching in far enough to get under the locking mechanism.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I love the functionality of my Serpa, but it is the most uncomfortable holster I've ever used. When I first got it I used the belt loop attachment, but because the gun sticks out so far the barrel would end up pointing towards and even rubbing my leg. I switched to the paddle (for comfort and for ease of removal) and it's an improvement, but still horrible compared to any other leather holster I've ever used. I think my main complaint is that the paddle itself is "hollow". In other words, it's shaped like a horseshoe instead of a solid paddle. This makes the top part that goes over your belt line dig into your hip because there's not as much material to spread out the pressure.

I would give anything for a more comfortable paddle and 1/4" closer placement.

ghosthunter

imported post

Thank you all for all the help. I do have the SW9mmVE. I stopped back in today to try some other holsters but could not find a Serpa that the gun would go into. I got a store credit and plan to go back when I have more time. Had my 2 year old grandson today and although he likes the mounted heads he wasn't much into holsters.

I will look for the G19 or 23.

I really like my Uncle Mikes clip on but as youknow they have zero retention.:cry:

joeroket

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
Thank you all for all the help. I do have the SW9mmVE. I stopped back in today to try some other holsters but could not find a Serpa that the gun would go into. I got a store credit and plan to go back when I have more time. Had my 2 year old grandson today and although he likes the mounted heads he wasn't much into holsters.

I will look for the G19 or 23.

I really like my Uncle Mikes clip on but as youknow they have zero retention.:cry:
If you really want a retention holster you should look at Safarilands holsters for either the sw9ve or the sw9c, both have a 4.01' barrel and if memory serves correct they are damned near identical except for a few modifications that S&W made to them during thier lawsuit settlement with Glock.

Safariland has a few that fit the sigmas in level 2 and 3. Heck they even have ones that fit the sw9f, which is almost unheard of. They are a little on the spendy side but they are very comfortable and long lasting.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

OK, I switched my SERPA to the paddle attatchment, and it is much more comfortable than the belt-slide piece. Although, my Galco leather belt-slide, is still way more comfortable.

WOW, that paddle is tough to get back off my waist! No one will be wrenching that thing off me! I think, though, with a little practice I will get the technique to getting it off more efficiently.

Still love how the SERPA shows off my Kimber... :lol: