• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Serpa

krazichinaman

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
OK, I switched my SERPA to the paddle attatchment, and it is much more comfortable than the belt-slide piece. Although, my Galco leather belt-slide, is still way more comfortable.

WOW, that paddle is tough to get back off my waist! No one will be wrenching that thing off me! I think, though, with a little practice I will get the technique to getting it off more efficiently.

Still love how the SERPA shows off my Kimber... :lol:
Maybe its just me but I feel that the paddle doesn't hold the gun as tightly/securely as the slide. When I look at the paddle, it seems like in a worse casesituation, it would break faster then the belt loop option. :shock:

ghosthunter

imported post

Well we were talking about this on another thread I posted a while back and it did seem everyone liked their Serpa. I bought one a week ago as I posted and tried it out. But I just could not get comfortable with how far it stuck out. I like to go back and forth between cc and oc . plus the Serpa was 2 inches longer than my Sigma 9v barrel. Some here gave me some other ideas but in the end I took the Sepra back to Sportsmans warehouse with the Sigma and spent 1 1/2 hours trying every holster they had.

I finally walked out the door with a Blackhawk Leather holster with thumb strap.

Belt Loop design. It was made for a Glock 9mm/40 cal but fits the sigma nicely. Plus it is a lower profile than the Serpa.

To each his own

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Back to the OP's comments, I agree wholeheartedly.

It's great for retention, but the Serpa is the most uncomfortable holster I've used. Even my IWB holsters are better. I think it's the Kydex.

I 'm going to order a Tucker Gunleather HF-1 with a thumbbreak and just deal with slightly less retention. I'm not necessarily convinced that the bad guys who would be brazen enough to try a gun-grab would be ignorant of the Serpa's retention mechanism anyway.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's why they make and sell all kinds of holsters for all types of purposes. Not one holster appeals to or is comfortable for everyone or meets everyone's needs.

neddis

imported post

How well do serpas work when getting in/out of a car - like when running errands? I am really intrigued by their retention design, but you guys have confirmed that they are as uncomfortable as they look. :) I have thought about buying one, but don't want to drop the money if it's going to be super uncomfortable. Right now I have a generic nylon type that is convertible from drop leg to OWB. It works, but quality is...meh.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

neddis wrote:
How well do serpas work when getting in/out of a car - like when running errands? I am really intrigued by their retention design, but you guys have confirmed that they are as uncomfortable as they look. :) I have thought about buying one, but don't want to drop the money if it's going to be super uncomfortable. Right now I have a generic nylon type that is convertible from drop leg to OWB. It works, but quality is...meh.
:banghead: They are not uncomfortable for everyone. There are numerous people who use them and have no problem or discomfort with them. I carry primarily in a SERPA.

I have rarely had an issue getting in/out of vehicles.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry almost exclusively in a serpa and I hardly notice it's there with the paddle attachment. It doesn't move at all even while running and I have no issues getting in and out of the car.

bradco

imported post

I have the Serpa for my G27 and to me the paddle is more comfortable than the belt slide. I am 182 and have 33 inch waist, so it is as it should be CQC.

just_a_car

imported post

asforme wrote:
I carry almost exclusively in a serpa and I hardly notice it's there with the paddle attachment. It doesn't move at all even while running and I have no issues getting in and out of the car.
+1. I also carry at 3:30-4 O'Clock position.

Edit: actually, I take that back... I had one issue with getting out of my car.... When I forgot I had my Serpa on and exited thinking I had more room on my right hip than I actually had and bumped against the steering wheel. If it hadn't have been so comfortable, I wouldn't have forgotten about it.

kenshin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
asforme wrote:
+1. I also carry at 3:30-4 O'Clock position.

Edit: actually, I take that back... I had one issue with getting out of my car.... When I forgot I had my Serpa on and exited thinking I had more room on my right hip than I actually had and bumped against the steering wheel. If it hadn't have been so comfortable, I wouldn't have forgotten about it.
lol...that's very true. I often times forget I'm carrying my pistol with the Serpa paddle. I use the Serpa for OCing my Kimber and a Kramer leather IWB when I have to conceal the USPc.