• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 17

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I have a 20th Anniversary G17 and I love it. I was wondering if anyone can answer a quick question for me. Can this gun eat a steady appetite of 9mm +P+ all day? Should I change out the guide rod and spring or is the factory one fine? Thanks, guys.

dojpros

imported post

The G 17 will digest "hot" 9mm just fine. I would change the the factory recoil spring every 3000 rounds or once a quarter. An OEM recoil rod/spring is less than 10.00 shipped I would think.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I would run out of money trying to feeda GLOCK+P+ ammo, before I could wear it out. Shooting +P+ ammo is like driving a car at 70MPH instead of 50MPH. Will it wear out quicker driving at the higher speed? Maybe. Depends on what else you are doing to it. Remember that your G17 frame is the exact same as a G22 or G31 frame, and the rounds they use would put more abuse on that same frame than a 9mm, even with hot rounds. I like to use the Ranger 127gr +P+ for9mm carry ammo.

Bottom line.....go for it! (and 3K rounds between replacement is a bit much, even for +P+ use, I'd go more like every 8-10K. And no timeline between spring replacements, only round count. Seriously, at $23+/box, how much +P+ can you afford?)

dojpros

imported post

I am running a g19, a g34 and a g35. I know that the 35 "needs" its recoil spring replaced more than the 9mms. It is simply easier to change them all every 3k/ 1x per quarterwhether they need it or not. Cheap insurance is my thought.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah, the Glock 17 will take any 9mm round you can throw at it. Get Double Tap ammo if you want the most power you can get out of your G17. They have a 115gr Gold Dot moving at 1415fps and making 511ft.lb. out of your model Glock. Not only that, but their ammo is half the price of the competition (About $27 / 50rds). All Double Tap 9mm loads come in +P and they have all three standard 9mm weights. I would be happy with any of them, I'd go heavier in the winter and lighter in the summer pretty much. If you want one to do everthing go with the middle weight of course.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_37

Also, excellent 9mm law enforcement ammo can be had for $15 to $20 for a box of 50rds. It's not expensive at all to keep a 9mm fed with 100% +P ammo, I don't know what other folks are talking about. For just messing around I use WWB 115gr FMJ's from walmart almost exclusively though. They're about $18/100rds.

Double Tap's +P is higher power and velocity than any +P+ load I've seen from other manufacturers btw. You should try out Federal's 124gr +P HST ($20/50rds) and 9BPLE 115gr +P+ ($15/50rds) as well. Although they wont have the sheer power of the Double Tap, they are both solid performers at a significantly reduced price. I've been stocking up on those and 115gr +P+ Winchester Rangers for an emergency. Other than those two, Double Tap loaded with Gold Dots is your best bet IMO. Or if you really have money to waste Extreme Shock frangible ammo (A Fang Face is always nice).

Btw, I use a DPM recoil reducing system in my G17. It consists of an upgraded recoil spring and a stainless steel guide rod with a second integrated spring. It makes a noticeable difference in felt recoil, especially with potent loads. It works with any kind of load you can think of too. I really like it.

FightingGlock19

imported post

don't f*ck with the springs in the 17, they're fine the way they are.

I'd change the recoil & trigger springs (together as a group)every 5-10,000 rounds (as needed), the length of time doesn't matter. If it takes you 3 weeks to hit 10,000 rounds so be it, if it takes 3 years to hit 10,000 rounds then you've gone 3 years without changing springs.

I have3 19's with 15,000; 9,000; and 2,000 rounds through them, respectivly, absolutely zero issues.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I agree that the stock spring and plastic guide rod works just fine. However, have you even tried the DPM system before? It works very well at reducing the recoil of more stout loads with ZERO reliability issues, just like stock.

There's really no need to cuss about it either, it just sounds like you want to get in an argument. What the f*ck is the f*cking problem with talking about springs motherf*cker? You modified your sights. Why are you changing sh*t that works? If it's on a Glock, it's obviously already the best sh*t for the gun right? So why the f*uck are you putting Big Dots on there?!

DON'T F*CK WITH THE STOCK SIGHTS, THEY'RE FINE THE WAY THEY ARE.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well you're educating them incorrectly. While I agree that it is fine and will work for a LONG time, a DPM system is even better and is worth the money to upgrade.

Again, it's like your sights, obviously there are things on the gun that can be improved upon. Recoil can be reduced further with that system, just like the sights can be made better as well. You shouldn't discourage people from doing upgrades that actually work well.