Thread: Discreet OpenCarry Tips

Post imported post

I'd like for those of you who don't have negative encounters with businesses or LEOs to please tell me what you believe it is about you that keeps you from having LEO encounters, and what keeps you from being asked to leave.

I heard that if you are carrying a baby and are dressed nicely, you'll have an easy time of it.... (no kidding about the baby!)

Are there any other good tips out there for discreet OC?

Also, does discreet OC often mean "partially hidden" OC? If so, how hidden?

Post imported post

eddified wrote:
    I'd like for those of you who don't have negative encounters with businesses or LEOs to please tell me what you believe it is about you that keeps you from having LEO encounters, and what keeps you from being asked to leave.

I heard that if you are carrying a baby and are dressed nicely, you'll have an easy time of it.... (no kidding about the baby!)

I have never had any bad encounters with LEOs and my husband and I have only been asked to leave places once or twice. I agree with the baby thing. We always travel as a family. Matching SIGs, leather galco snap holsters. Me in black slacks and a dress shirt, dad in khakis and a button-up with a high and tight, and a two year old in pig tails. I think most people just see a nice family. Most probably don't even notice the guns. And if they do, I don't think it bothers them as much as if say we were wearing baggy jeans and had the guns tucked in our waists. One OC event we went to we were originally asked to leave but the manager relented that we looked like a nice 'normal' family and he would be happy to serve us. I think the best thing to do is to dress and act appropriately for the situation and always be above reproach. That is not to say that you still won't sometimes be harassed or asked to leave, but IMHO dress, demeanor, and sometimes even age are very important.

Whether that is right or wrong, I won't comment on, but like all things the best way to be discreet is to just blend, don't draw attention to yourself, act like you are exactly where you should be, doing exactly what you should be doing. just my .02

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
    eddified wrote:

I have never had any bad encounters with LEOs and my husband and I have only been asked to leave places once or twice. I agree with the baby thing. We always travel as a family. Matching SIGs, leather galco snap holsters. Me in black slacks and a dress shirt, dad in khakis and a button-up with a high and tight, and a two year old in pig tails. I think most people just see a nice family. Most probably don't even notice the guns. And if they do, I don't think it bothers them as much as if say we were wearing baggy jeans and had the guns tucked in our waists. One OC event we went to we were originally asked to leave but the manager relented that we looked like a nice 'normal' family and he would be happy to serve us. I think the best thing to do is to dress and act appropriately for the situation and always be above reproach. That is not to say that you still won't sometimes be harassed or asked to leave, but IMHO dress, demeanor, and sometimes even age are very important.

Whether that is right or wrong, I won't comment on, but like all things the best way to be discreet is to just blend, don't draw attention to yourself, act like you are exactly where you should be, doing exactly what you should be doing. just my .02
    Sad but true, how your dress and your age are big factors in regards to OCing. I think those under 30 are going to draw more attention from the public as well as the police. My advice if you are under 30 dressing casual nice will help with the attention factor.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm well under thirty and have had no issues. I definitely think the 3 month old has something to do with it though. I never dress to OC, once I'm out of work it's jean shorts and a t-shirt.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    I'm well under thirty and have had no issues. I definitely think the 3 month old has something to do with it though. I never dress to OC, once I'm out of work it's jean shorts and a t-shirt.
    Ditto, except mines 4, but I don't have her with me all the time. I don't feel like dressing differently just to make the "public" more comfortable. I'll be turning 22 in September, and I haven't had any issues and I don't dress nicer just to OC. Although, as I've said before, I don't dress "trashy" either. Usually jeans and a t-shirt.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    asforme wrote:
    Ditto, except mines 4, but I don't have her with me all the time. I don't feel like dressing differently just to make the "public" more comfortable. I'll be turning 22 in September, and I haven't had any issues and I don't dress nicer just to OC. Although, as I've said before, I don't dress "trashy" either. Usually jeans and a t-shirt.
    I just noticed, you're from Frankenmuth, have you ever OCd in that ridiculous Christmas store?

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    SQLtables wrote:
    asforme wrote:
    I just noticed, you're from Frankenmuth, have you ever OCd in that ridiculous Christmas store?
    HAHA, no. But I did work there a few years ago. It made me very tired of Christmas.

To be honest, I don't OC in Frankenmuth a whole lot, aside from my home, for my own personal reasons. That might be an interesting thing to try out sometime though.

Post imported post

Older, wear a Rolex, dress conservatively. I've been asked not if I was a cop, but if I was a Federal Agent! Twice. I guess I look like Mark Harmon...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

It boils down to dressing in clean well kept clothes and acting the part. If your clothes are clean and well-kept, and you look like carrying a gun is as normal as wearing socks as far as you're concerned, you'll have little trouble.

There are certain "styles" that WILL get you extra attention. You can whine all you want, but that's just the way it is.

The WORST thing to do while OCing? Acting nervous and flighty about it. The only way past this?OC. A lot. Then it does become as normal as putting on a shirt in the morning.

Post imported post

"Discreet OC"? "Partially hidden OC"? Perhaps you refer to the Virginia folks who can legally OC with an IWB holster as long as the grip is clearly visible?

There are times when I purposely OC using a holster that stands out, and have a handgun with highly noticable stocks (ivory or exotic woods, not Blaze Orange) for the purpose of calling attention to my rig.

Being single, I do not have family to use as a visual distraction from my OC status.

So far I have not been asked to leave a business location because of my OC-ing. So far I have not had a negative encounter with law enforcement because of my OC-ing.

That might be because I try to be polite when I am out in public. I dress in clean clothes, try not to let anyone but my immediate companions hear me if my words are less than suitable for public consumption, and generally go about my business as if wearing a gun on my side were no more unusual than wearing pants would be.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    "Discreet OC"? "Partially hidden OC"? Perhaps you refer to the Virginia folks who can legally OC with an IWB holster as long as the grip is clearly visible?

There are times when I purposely OC using a holster that stands out, and have a handgun with highly noticable stocks (ivory or exotic woods, not Blaze Orange) for the purpose of calling attention to my rig.

Being single, I do not have family to use as a visual distraction from my OC status.

So far I have not been asked to leave a business location because of my OC-ing. So far I have not had a negative encounter with law enforcement because of my OC-ing.

That might be because I try to be polite when I am out in public. I dress in clean clothes, try not to let anyone but my immediate companions hear me if my words are less than suitable for public consumption, and generally go about my business as if wearing a gun on my side were no more unusual than wearing pants would be.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention something. When I OC, I carry my XD Gear double mag pouch with two shiny silver mags sticking out. I've noticed this draws a lot of attention to my belt.

Post imported post

wrote:
    “By George I think you got it” eddified

Going into the daycare business is the ticket. Could have the parents drop off at the front door and have the OC'ers pick up at the back door, all children must be returned by 1500. Have parent consent and cut them in on say, 5% of the “OC a Baby” charge

Don’t think this business plan would be received well with any lenders, but you got to wonder! eddified go for it!
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

LOL!

No, I have my own kids to use for my nefarious OC purposes ... j/k.

I have a 2.5 year old and an 8 month old. Both boys.

Post imported post

like most have said here..dress neatly and be polite..

i have no kids,i don't dress up(except weddings and funerals) and i basically run around in jean shorts and T-shirts.at times i wear colors that match both holster and gun so it's hard to see but i try to contrast so it's visable...still no comments (pos or neg) and haven't been asked to leave(will have to visit walmart to see what happens)

Activist Member

Post imported post

When I carry my Chihuahua into dog friendly establishments, nobody ever seems to notice my gun.

Post imported post

I agree with the dress and demeanor about 75%. When i OC around the Vegas area - for the most part i am in my work cloths (biz casual), but i also OC in my cargo shorts and plain white tshirt and sneakers. I know more attention is drawn when i am in lounge wear then when i dress biz casual, but my attitude and demeanor is also important. I am 27, look young, but not like a punk.

Most of the OCers i see around here are well kept and dress nice, hence the reason why they aren't bothered. I am sure if they looked like the latest rap star, they would get flack more from stores and LEO.

Post imported post

I'm almost 40, generally have my hair pretty short, enough so that I have been asked several times if I am military and a few times if I am a cop, and clean shaved. Unwanted attention doesn't seem to be dependent upon what I am wearing. Even when dressed down I rarely am untucked though (unless I need to for CC). I don't like wearing untucked shirts. I think the lack of attention is more my age and bearing than anything else. I am pretty casual about carrying (not sloppy or careless) and make no bigger deal about it or draw more attention to it than I do to my cell phone.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

nh92d wrote:
    like most have said here..dress neatly and be polite..

i have no kids,i don't dress up(except weddings and funerals) and i basically run around in jean shorts and T-shirts.at times i wear colors that match both holster and gun so it's hard to see but i try to contrast so it's visable...still no comments (pos or neg) and haven't been asked to leave(will have to visit walmart to see what happens)
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...30-post50.html

Too bad they did away with stop #1 - no nachos for you!

stay safe.

skidmart
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    When I carry my Chihuahua into dog friendly establishments, nobody ever seems to notice my gun.
    What kind of retention do you use when you carry your Chihuahua?

You know, to prevent against Chihuahua grabs, and to make sure your Chihuahua doesn't accidentally "go off"...

Post imported post

I wear whatever I would normally wear. In the winter, jeans, T-shirt and jacket. Summertime, I wear shorts, T-shirt, flip-flops. Winter I carry in a belt holster, and in the summer I carry in a shoulder rig.

If you act like you belong, nobody even gives you a second glance.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Felid`Maximus wrote:
    When I carry my Chihuahua into dog friendly establishments, nobody ever seems to notice my gun.*
    What kind of retention do you use when you carry your Chihuahua?

You know, to prevent against Chihuahua grabs, and to make sure your Chihuahua doesn't accidentally "go off"...
    You must be very secure in your masculinity. I still pack a Pitbull when I go out. My wife says I am over compensating for something, so I grab the Spaniel insted.:celebrate Sorry I could not resist.

Post imported post

I'm 66 years old and look mean. I dress casual....black jeans and short sleeved shirt. I've had ONE person comment on my Glock....she said it looked real.

Post imported post

eddified wrote:

Where I don't think it hurts to dress nice and act polite, it certainly doesn't help if you dress like a slob, don't shave and stink if you open carry. If I OC I tend to dress nicer then normal.