Thread: First OC experience - SeaTac airport

Post imported post

I decided to OC my Springfield 1911 EMP when I picked my wife up at the airport last Friday night. I've been reading these forums for a little while, and my reasons for OCing are self and common defense and assertion of my right to do so; a right not exercised can be lost. The airport seemed to be a reasonable first OC (since I'd only be there a short time and I'd be sitting away from people for much of it).

I got to the airport at about a quarter to midnight. I was wearing my EMP in the car (I have a CPL), in the holster it came with (I'll probably get an IWB holster for CC, too - recommendations? I like the Galco Royal Guard, but $26 extra to get black clips to match my belt is a bit much). I was aware that there were no prohibitions against OCing in the non-secured areas of an airport, and had seen this post mentioning OCing at SeaTac, which helped my confidence. It was a positive experience. All told I was there for about 40 minutes; I did what I normally did: checked the big board to see which carousel my wife's flight's bags would arrive at (ignoring the time, since I knew the flight was late), then sat on an out of the way bench and read a book I'd brought (back to the wall, nobody nearby).

A few minutes later a lady came over (either an airline or airport official, but not security; she had a uniform and a name tag on, but I didn't see who she was with), and asked if I had a firearm, I said I did, and that Washington was an open carry state. She said she didn't know if it was legal in an airport, and I informed her that it was legal outside the secured areas. She explained (very nicely) that a few people had made comments to her about it - I think she wanted to be seen as doing something - and I said I understood; she then left.

I got the hairy eyeball a few times when I was walking around, but no other comments. I felt a bit self-conscious, but I was more worried about making sure I knew who was around me, especially behind me, more so than normal, since I now had the responsibility to make sure nobody grabbed my gun; for example, I'd usually stand right by the carousel, but this time I hung back a little (probably a good idea in general; standing against the edge doesn't make the bags come any faster...) and only grabbed my wife's bag when she saw it come out. Anyway, a positive first experience. I'll pick up some of the OpenCarry.org brochures I've heard about at the next WAC gun show.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Man that is very good to hear that it went well for you. Thanks for the post and sharing your experience. I am going to the airport OC to pick up my mom when she comes to visit, and I have been imagining what I will face there. Sounds like you did everything right to me. Welcome to the family.

Post imported post

I would also look into getting some sort of lvl 2 retention holster. Many of us wear a Blackhawk CQC Serpa which is considered lvl 2 rention. Good job on your first experience!

Post imported post

My friend, I have to admit, you have cajones to choose SeaTac Airport for a first time OC experience! Talk about jumping right into the deep end. Not a criticism - carry on. (dang, now I've got this carry on Wayne - carry on Garth loop running through my head)

State Researcher

Post imported post

Great first experience!

Post imported post

Thanks for posting your story. I am picking up my parents there tonight.

Post imported post

Wow! I would have expected a lot of hassle at the airport.

BTW...what's a hairy eyeball?

Post imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
    My friend, I have to admit, you have cajones to choose SeaTac Airport for a first time OC experience! Talk about jumping right into the deep end.
    Amen to that. Makes "my first OC" at a gas station or grocery store seem that much easier for the neophyte to approach...

--

Post imported post

My first OC experience did take me into the middle of hoopfest, but I was in a group and with a couple people who had much more experience than I did...

+1 to the large jewels that took you to the airport for the first time.

Post imported post

Nosrac wrote:
    Wow! I would have expected a lot of hassle at the airport.

BTW...what's a hairy eyeball?
    I think this qualifies:

Post imported post

You're first time OCing was to an airport?!?!

Well, mister, you're a better man than I.

Post imported post

+1 as to big cajones for first time OC at an airport.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

State Researcher

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    +1 as to big cajones for first time OC at an airport.
    Agreed!

Post imported post

+1 Wow. Good show.

Post imported post

Headed to SeaTac tonight to get the kids. We'll see how it goes.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the kind words - I didn't pick SeaTac to be daring, it was just where I was going (I can't carry at work, company policy). Nice "hairy eyeball" pic, it's just about right . I hope my experience makes it easier for others.

Post imported post

I'm glad your first OC went well, especially since you linked to my post. If it had gone bad... :shock:

:P

Post imported post

I am not worthy.

My first OC experience was to the gun range ha ha.

/bow

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Headed to SeaTac tonight to get the kids. We'll see how it goes.
    With your luck lately, don't call me for bail!

Post imported post

I haven't done the WalMart walk , but did go around Oly on Friday OCing .

I sayyou do have cajones .

<----This biiggggggg--------------------------------------------------------------->

Post imported post

czth wrote:
    I felt a bit self-conscious, but I was more worried about making sure I knew who was around me, especially behind me, more so than normal, since I now had the responsibility to make sure nobody grabbed my gun;
    From what I read in the news last year about Airport weapons thief fromchecked baggage in secure area's; you standa better chance of having you’re piece stolen by Airport employee's than a would be gun grabber. If I recall, thereport also listed SEATAC as one of the worst for this.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

very weird... I posted a comment this morning but nothing showed up.

Arrived about 10:45pm and walked around for about 30 mins. I got a call from the ex that the kids flew as unaccompanied minors, meaning I had to get a boarding pass and pick them up at the gate. I went to the Delta counter to see if they could be deliverd to the Security exit point (I pointed out I was carrying). The guy made a call and said I would have to get them at the gate and presented me with a boarding pass. I head back out to the truck, lock up the pistol, empty my pockets of non security crap and head inside. I get to security, remove the shoes, place the phone, voice recorder and keys in the tray and head to the security passage still wearing my belt and Serpa. I pass right through, no issues. As I pick up my stuff a TSA person walks up and asks if I am wearing a pistol holster. I reply with yes and continue to move on. No more conversation with TSA. I get to the gate, get the kids and head back home.

Post imported post

Wow...airport your first time. You definitely got a pair.

My first time was just a trip to the local grocery store. But hey, carry on.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.