• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience - SeaTac airport

czth

imported post

I decided to OC my Springfield 1911 EMP when I picked my wife up at the airport last Friday night. I've been reading these forums for a little while, and my reasons for OCing are self and common defense and assertion of my right to do so; a right not exercised can be lost. The airport seemed to be a reasonable first OC (since I'd only be there a short time and I'd be sitting away from people for much of it).

I got to the airport at about a quarter to midnight. I was wearing my EMP in the car (I have a CPL), in the holster it came with (I'll probably get an IWB holster for CC, too - recommendations? I like the Galco Royal Guard, but $26 extra to get black clips to match my belt is a bit much). I was aware that there were no prohibitions against OCing in the non-secured areas of an airport, and had seen this post mentioning OCing at SeaTac , which helped my confidence. It was a positive experience. All told I was there for about 40 minutes; I did what I normally did: checked the big board to see which carousel my wife's flight's bags would arrive at (ignoring the time, since I knew the flight was late), then sat on an out of the way bench and read a book I'd brought (back to the wall, nobody nearby).

A few minutes later a lady came over (either an airline or airport official, but not security; she had a uniform and a name tag on, but I didn't see who she was with), and asked if I had a firearm, I said I did, and that Washington was an open carry state. She said she didn't know if it was legal in an airport, and I informed her that it was legal outside the secured areas. She explained (very nicely) that a few people had made comments to her about it - I think she wanted to be seen as doing something - and I said I understood; she then left.

I got the hairy eyeball a few times when I was walking around, but no other comments. I felt a bit self-conscious, but I was more worried about making sure I knew who was around me, especially behind me, more so than normal, since I now had the responsibility to make sure nobody grabbed my gun; for example, I'd usually stand right by the carousel, but this time I hung back a little (probably a good idea in general; standing against the edge doesn't make the bags come any faster...) and only grabbed my wife's bag when she saw it come out. Anyway, a positive first experience. I'll pick up some of the OpenCarry.org brochures I've heard about at the next WAC gun show.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Man that is very good to hear that it went well for you. Thanks for the post and sharing your experience. I am going to the airport OC to pick up my mom when she comes to visit, and I have been imagining what I will face there. Sounds like you did everything right to me. Welcome to the family.

krazichinaman

imported post

I would also look into getting some sort of lvl 2 retention holster. Many of us wear a Blackhawk CQC Serpa which is considered lvl 2 rention. Good job on your first experience!

Gene Beasley

imported post

My friend, I have to admit, you have cajones to choose SeaTac Airport for a first time OC experience! Talk about jumping right into the deep end. Not a criticism - carry on. (dang, now I've got this carry on Wayne - carry on Garth loop running through my head)

John Hardin

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
My friend, I have to admit, you have cajones to choose SeaTac Airport for a first time OC experience! Talk about jumping right into the deep end.
Amen to that. Makes "my first OC" at a gas station or grocery store seem that much easier for the neophyte to approach...

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

David.Car

imported post

My first OC experience did take me into the middle of hoopfest, but I was in a group and with a couple people who had much more experience than I did...

+1 to the large jewels that took you to the airport for the first time.

czth

imported post

Thanks for all the kind words - I didn't pick SeaTac to be daring, it was just where I was going (I can't carry at work, company policy). Nice "hairy eyeball" pic, it's just about right :D. I hope my experience makes it easier for others.

Mortech

imported post

I haven't done the WalMart walk , but did go around Oly on Friday OCing .

I sayyou do have cajones .

<----This biiggggggg--------------------------------------------------------------->