• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some thoughts on media, newspapers in particular

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I am a contract sales agent for one newspaper in the south sound, and shortly for a second as well. In the past I was an agent for the Times and PI. I sell home delivery, and am pretty dang good at it. Keeps me in guns and ammo, pays the bills, etc...

One thing I have learned, and have to deal with everyday involves allegations of media bias.

Do media have a bias? Sure. In newspapers it's called the opinion page, which is the first thing I usually turn to when I pick one up for entertainment value alone.

Any reputable newspaper will report news as unbiased as possible. They also will adhere to a code of conduct regarding the information that gets printed, usually involving verifiable sources, which sometimes means things have to be left out if the information is not completely verifiable. Unverified news is great for 30 second sensational soundbites played over and over on TV news, really bad for a product that gets updated only once per day.

Each newspaper will have it's criteria for selecting what news it prints, and to learn their policy it is best to contact the editor or publisher of the newspaper(s) you read to find out what their policy for selecting stories is.

Things off the newswire (AP, UP, etc...) are chosen as space fillers, to cover national/international news or to compliment an article. The newspaper printing them has no control over that content. If you see something off in a newswire article the responsibility lies with the originating agency.

The editorial policy of newspapers usually reflect the values and views of it's subscribers first and the broad community as a whole. Don't like something? Speak up. If nobody complains it is assumed the marketplace approves of what is said.

Media is generally not out to push an agenda, it is in the business to make money and that is done by serving a given audience in a manner found satisfactory to that market.

If a newspaper has a liberal editorial policy (remember news is news and opinions are opinions and the two are clearly marked and seperated) then it is because it's market approves of that. An active involvement by people of other beliefs will help change that by showing the newspaper that it's readership does not fully support an opinion.

I just get so tired of people suggesting there is some sort of media conspiracy or just writing newspapers off automatically...

Sorry for the sales pitch. Now, are you getting that paper at home yet? :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is absolutely a leftist bias in most major organizations, especially the wire services, even on the news pages and in the newscasts. See New York Times or LA Times most any day to see proof. University studies have shown it, former news employees have written books about it. Local/regional news sources are an entirely different story about which one cannot generalize nationally.

And yes, I do have a subscription (paper and electronic) to our local newspaper.

David.Car

imported post

I think their is a very different production between print media, and electronic media...

While print media is usally more to the letter, from the source, intelligent news gathering. Electronic media is almost the exact opposite. Usually spontaneous and improved, unfiltered opinions ring thru, most of the news ontv is an opinion section...

155gr

imported post

I just get so tired of people suggesting there is some sort of media conspiracy or just writing newspapers off automatically...
I do not necessarily believe that there are staff meetings in news organizations where the topic is "What anti-firearm stuff can we push today."

I do believe that most newspeople -- the ones who influence what gets covered and how it is spun -- are left of center, anti-gun, and anti-self-defense. I believe this tendency is self-perpetuating and maybe self-amplifying. I'm sure most newspeople wouldn't see themselves this way. After all, most folks believe themselves to be reasonable and centrist -- newspeople included.

If anyone can offer evidence to the contrary, I'd be glad to change my point of view about this.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

155gr wrote:
I do not necessarily believe that there are staff meetings in news organizations where the topic is "What anti-firearm stuff can we push today."

I do believe that most newspeople -- the ones who influence what gets covered and how it is spun -- are left of center, anti-gun, and anti-self-defense. I believe this tendency is self-perpetuating and maybe self-amplifying. I'm sure most newspeople wouldn't see themselves this way. After all, most folks believe themselves to be reasonable and centrist -- newspeople included.

If anyone can offer evidence to the contrary, I'd be glad to change my point of view about this.
Try asking the editors or publishers directly. A decent newspaper will respond to you.