• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

damion441

imported post

Ok well Im still new to OC at the moment I am in the process of finding, and buying a handgun. At the moment I am considering a Springfield Arms .9mm. I can get it and four 14 round clips for $200.00. First question is does anyone have any experience with this model or make? And secondly I plan on carrying "Western" or in a Drop-leg Tactical holster, does anyone see a problem with me carrying in this fashion? Im 18 and while I may not "dress up" I do tuck in my t-shirt, wear a belt, and act and carry myself in a respectful manner as I plan on becoming a bussiness owner here in town over the next few years. The "Western" style of carry appeals to me as I tend to wear a button up shirt often and leave it unbuttoned and untucked over my t-shirt.
Any methods of carry that you would suggest, if you see this as a possible issue?

N00blet45

imported post

You might get a little extra attention carrying like that but other than that I don't see a problem with it. Personally I'd carry it in a hip holster but that's just me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

damion441 wrote:
Ok well Im still new to OC at the moment I am in the process of finding, and buying a handgun. At the moment I am considering a Springfield Arms .9mm. I can get it and four 14 round clips for $200.00. First question is does anyone have any experience with this model or make?

Which Springfield Armory 9mm are you considering? I'm guessing you are talking about an XD9 given the mag size. Is that correct? If so, sounds like a good deal.

And secondly I plan on carrying "Western" or in a Drop-leg Tactical holster, does anyone see a problem with me carrying in this fashion? Im 18 and while I may not "dress up" I do tuck in my t-shirt, wear a belt, and act and carry myself in a respectful manner as I plan on becoming a bussiness owner here in town over the next few years. The "Western" style of carry appeals to me as I tend to wear a button up shirt often and leave it unbuttoned and untucked over my t-shirt.
Any methods of carry that you would suggest, if you see this as a possible issue?

Nothing illegal about it. I have carried drop leg when working on the farm and running into town for food or materials. It does seem to garner a few more looks than carrying strong side hip. But then my experience has been in a fairly small town and may not translate to your area.
Just be sure the holster is low enough that your gun is not covered by your shirt

That being said, as a future business owner, I would be inclined to carry in a more subtle manner unless you are coming/going/doing outdoor work/activity where a drop leg holster would be more expected. That is just an OPINION and has nothing to do with legality or right to OC however you please.

Gunslinger

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
You might get a little extra attention carrying like that but other than that I don't see a problem with it. Personally I'd carry it in a hip holster but that's just me.
I agree. Tactical rigs, on someone your age, asks for the granny glasses wearing to have a seizure. Be as inconspicuous as you can. A good belt holster is a better way to carry and won't scream "gun nut!" And should you need to get it in play, it's much quicker and safer.

Gunslinger

imported post

damion441 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I beleave it is the XD9. Would anyone recommend a good hip holster then for this model?
I like Fobus. Not expensive, high mount so easy to conceal. And you can't beat Uncle Mike's for good value.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As to your questions re: XD9 - yes many of us have had experience with that pistol and others in the XD line. It is a good combat firearm, will take a beating and abuse and still keep going. Lifetime Warranty from the manufacturer well honored according to those who have had to use it. I have an XD45 on my hip as I type this if that is an indication of my opinion of the model line.

Besides that Gunslinger offered, Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters are quite popular among the membership here. Others prefer the Safariland ALS holsters for OC.

damion441

imported post

well thanks to everyone for all you help. I'm going to look into thoes holsters yall suggested and hopefully I'll have my setup before everyone plans a get together.

rhino3

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
As to your questions re: XD9 - yes many of us have had experience with that pistol and others in the XD line. It is a good combat firearm, will take a beating and abuse and still keep going. Lifetime Warranty from the manufacturer well honored according to those who have had to use it. I have an XD45 on my hip as I type this if that is an indication of my opinion of the model line.
i am new to this forum stuff but just wanted to add my 2 cents on the xd models. i also carry a xd45 and absolutely love it . if the 9 shoots anything like the 45 then i would jump all over that deal if i were you.