• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I would like to introduce everyone to Municode...

Furner

imported post

Lots of times, I see people asking about ordinances for various cities in Michigan.
Often, the answer can be found through Municode, a free online library of municipal ordinances.

The address is http://www.municode.com , then click on "Online Library"

You can then click on any state, and see all the units of government that list using Municode. Once you are viewing a city's ordinances, you can then search. Usually searching "firearms" is a quick way to get what you are looking for.

Personally, I think they should legislate all units of govt in Michigan to utilize Municode, otherwise its often hard to find out what the laws of a particular city are.

EDIT: you can bookmark the Michigan page, but as a web developer I shy away from linking deep into websites. Systems change, and sometimes changes cause dead links. So keep in mind the system may have changed if the link Venator stops working.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Furner wrote:
Lots of times, I see people asking about ordinances for various cities in Michigan.
Often, the answer can be found through Municode, a free online library of municipal ordinances.

The address is http://www.municode.com , then click on "Online Library"

You can then click on any state, and see all the units of government that list using Municode. Once you are viewing a city's ordinances, you can then search. Usually searching "firearms" is a quick way to get what you are looking for.

Personally, I think they should legislate all units of govt in Michigan to utilize Municode, otherwise its often hard to find out what the laws of a particular city are.

I posted this info some time ago. The library link is here, bypasses home page.
http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=22

The past thread is here. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/8644.html

Venator

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I LMMFAO when I read the Westland ordinances. :lol:

They didn't even have an exemption for cops muchless CPL holders. Not that it really matters because of Preemption. ;)

Not even a toy gun. WOW. But all illegal of course.

As I've stated before:

Ignore them. Look they have very little incentive to remove any signs. It would take time and money to take them down. In the meantime they havean advantage to keeping them up...it controls the masses, it keeps the antis happy, and they can point to them when they want to hassle the uninformed.

Most of the gun bans were on the local books before 1990, and I suspect they will keep them on the books because the preemption law could be changed by the legislature in the future so why bother changing the ordinance, most ordinances have a disclaimer in them saying any ordinance that is in conflict with state law is illegal.

All you should do is let the local LEO's know that open carry is legal and go ahead and open carry, if they still want to press it you have legal recourses.

jmlefler

imported post

Municode.....Niiiiiiiice!!

Already contacted Kalamazoo Township regarding an ordinance preventing the possesion of any weapons in Municipal Buildings, including a township owned golf course. Spoke with a fantastic officer (Officer Jackson) and he told me he would contact the Township Atty. to determine its legality viz MCL123.1102.

I swear, he called me back not 45 minutes later and said I was 'good to go' (visit any township building).The Township Atty. reviewed the regs and said she agreed with me (MCL123.1102) and would work on getting this repealed. Officer Jackson said he would also forward this to his Chief.

One person, one phone call, one done deal. I'm rejuvinated over the ability of private citizens having an impact on our elected officials.

Thanks Furner, and good job on AR15 and SweetMaryPurebred...

Venator

imported post

jmlefler wrote:

Already contacted Kalamazoo Township regarding an ordinance preventing the possesion of any weapons in Municipal Buildings, including a township owned golf course. Spoke with a fantastic officer (Officer Jackson) and he told me he would contact the Township Atty. to determine its legality viz MCL123.1102.

I swear, he called me back not 45 minutes later and said I was 'good to go' (visit any township building).The Township Atty. reviewed the regs and said she agreed with me (MCL123.1102) and would work on getting this repealed. Officer Jackson said he would also forward this to his Chief.

One person, one phone call, one done deal. I'm rejuvinated over the ability of private citizens having an impact on our elected officials.

Not torain on your parade, but celebrated after they repeal it, just 'cuz they say they will, don't mean...well you know.

I'm not saying to stop trying, just don't get too excited just yet. I pointed this all out to my township (supervisor, Police Chief) years ago about the parks banning firearms, while they weredrafting the ordinance. They still put it in there. Why? Because their attorney wanted to cover them of liability. I even pointed out to them the liability was greater by not allowing firearms. Go figure. The bottom line is they know they are illegal.

On an aside, when I talked with my new chief about open carry (I'ma member ofthe Police and Fire Board), the first thing he said was "we'll pass an ordinance against open carry" I looked at him funny and said "you know that it won't be legal" Resignedly he said "yeahI know". This lead to an Earnest discussion on the subject and he has come around to the idea and has informed all his officers that it's legal. We have a very good department.

Venator

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
Nah, I'm gonna stay excited...:celebrate

I apologise to you for making my earlier statement, I must have been in a sour mood yesterday. It is good news and we thank you for your effort. Keep on them and let us know what the outcome is. GREAT JOB.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

well done jmlefler. i went through the code for my city some time ago almost hoping to find something to take issue with. guess i was feeling kind of scrappy. but no go, there is nothing in my city code to restrict my gun rights. i have not yet carried openly in a public place, however. guess i'm still working up the courage.

RaspberrySurprise

imported post

Chapter 16 Article IV Sec. 16-99.

Transportation. It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle, a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both the barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless it is unloaded and in a case.

Guess I should drop them a note about this being in breach of state law. Though to be fair these rules have been in effect since 1977.

Venator

imported post

RaspberrySurprise wrote:
Chapter 16 Article IV Sec. 16-99.

Transportation. It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle, a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both the barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless it is unloaded and in a case.

Guess I should drop them a note about this being in breach of state law. Though to be fair these rules have been in effect since 1977.

Where is this from? If it's a local ordinance it's illegal because of the 1990 preemption law.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Venator

imported post

RaspberrySurprise wrote:
Where is this from? If it's a local ordinance it's illegal because of the 1990 preemption law.

Hometown, guess I should have elaborated a bit more.

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11527&sid=22
Well, you can pursue this with the local municipality or ignore it. If you want to open carry in your town, it doesn't hurt to send the Police the packet we have on the info thread. Then you can say, "I informed the Chief in this regard" if you are stopped later.

Venator

imported post

jmlefler wrote:

Can you PM the actual email they sent. I want to add it to the quote section in the info page. A collection of Chiefs, Attorney saying open carry is legal and that local ordinances are illegal is nice to post. Same with anyone else that has a correspondence with anyone of "authority".

jmlefler

imported post

V,

I described a phone conversation I had with Officer Jackson and there is no e-mail.

I'll either contact them with the hopes of an e-mail exchange or attend the next Board meeting (7/28) and get in the minutes...