• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Ammo

Dr.Coy

imported post

What is the cleanest cheapest ammo to shoot out of my 9mm for target practice?

I plan on buying Hydrashock and keeping a clip loaded with that for self defense...

Gun= Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm, 17+1 rds

yeahYeah

imported post

WWB - at walmart - it's $19.97 per 100.00. i use this to practice. it's a bit dirty, but i've never had a problem with it.

ODA 226

imported post

Make sure that you fire at least two mags of your carry ammo through your your weapon BEFORE you carry your weapon on the street to ensure that the ammo cycles reliably in your pistol and to know your point of aim/ point of impact with that particular weapon/ ammo combination.

Dr.Coy

imported post

haha yeah.... Hydrashock only for my defense magazines....

The lady at the gunstore pointed me towars these FMJ's that were like $20 per 50 rounds.

I saw she had Wolf but heard they were ULTRA dirty.

So I can really get descent target ammo at $20/ per 100??????!?!?!!!!

That is amazing. I do not mind cleaning my gun, I figure the more I practice breaking it down and cleaning it and putting it back together the more efficient I will become during a jam ( *God forbid*) or in general just feel more comfortable with my firearm.

yeahYeah

imported post

go to walmart and get the winchester white box 100 pack - it's under $20.

you'll have to clean your gun anyway...many gun owners use the WWB for practice, it's cheap, goes bang and is reliable.

i'd rather clean my gun good then be overcharged for ammo.

Dr.Coy

imported post

I will have to look into the TAPs. I just figured since for now I have a 9mm that the Hydra's would be my best bet compared to normal hollowpoints.

holeinhead

imported post

I'm looking at Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP 9mm ($30 for 50rds) and 185gr Speer gold dot .45 acp ($30 for 50rds). First time buying JHP rounds for my Sig P6/225 and Hi-point 45. Looks like the best value as I don't have a lot of money on hand.

Any thoughts on these?

As far as practice ammo I go to surplusammo.com. No Wal-mart that's close, so can't get those good deals like some of you can, but this site has great deals too. The rounds I bought were reloads, but they worke just as well as store bought ammo, and wern't dirty either.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For Self Defense, this is some of the best stuff around: http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/...t-147gr-p-hp-ammo&cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html
The HST 147 grain at the bottom, expands to the size of a nickle.
hst-147-small.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hydrashok was once the premier SD ammo. In the last several years new ammo is on the market that appears to do better. I prefer Speer Gold Dot (short barreled if <4" barrel), Corbon DPX, HST, Ranger SXT or Ranger Talon depending on the caliber, and particular firearm. As with 99% of firearms issues it is primarily a personal prefernce issue.

holeinhead

imported post

asforme wrote:
Thanks for that link. I've heard of jamming problems with 147gr, and I don't want to shoot +P in my Sig P6/225, as it's a bit old for that kind of ammo. Instead I think I'll go with the 124gr Federal HST for the 9mm, and probably the +P 230gr Federal HST for my Hi-point.

Gonna do some more research and see what others have to say before I spend any money though.

AnaxImperator

imported post

You might want to look into the Federal EFMJs; they're meant to solve the same problem Pow-R-Ball's were designed to deal with, and expand reliablythroughdamn near any intermediate barrier. From the tests I've seen,expand out to .5", anddon't shed any mass.

Corbon&Federal.jpg