• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auburn Hills Update

DanM

imported post

Contacted by the police chief, and my response. Will keep you posted . . .

----- Original Message ----
To: "Olko, Doreen" <dolko@auburnhills.org>
Cc: "Tanghe, Tom" <ttanghe@auburnhills.org>; "Auger, Peter" <pauger@auburnhills.org>; jbacon@secrestwardle.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:40:51 AM
Subject: Re: Your Request

Dear Chief Olko,

I appreciate your prompt response and interest in reviewing the ordinance for it's enforceability, especially in light of the body of state law (including preemption) and state court rulings regarding gun control laws enacted byunits of government below the state level.

I don't think the ordinance is completely unenforceable, just part of it may be. I'm just a layman, but my understanding is thatbanning hunting without a permit within city limitsis permissible for a city to do. However, I think the assumption spelled out in the ordinance that anyone carrying a firearm (except unloadedrifle/shotgun/pistol)is deemed to be huntingmay be problematic. While I do believe there maybereasonable suspicion or probable cause to believe someone lurking behind treescarrying a rifle or shotgunin a ready-to-shoot manner is hunting, and should be detained by police to investigate possible violation of this ordinance, a citizen lawfully openly carrying a handgun in a holster whilst conducting their business or personal life, in or travelling through Auburn Hills, is nearlycertainly not hunting. Having interacted with some of your officers (pleasantly, I should add) including yourself (very briefly at a city function), I am confident in the ability,intelligence, and leadershipof the Auburn Hills police force to enforce a ban on hunting without the burdenof ablanket assumptionimposed by the questionably problematic part of the ordinance.

I don't know if they were forwarded to you as well, so I am attaching a couple of documents that may be useful. Also, I have been told, contacting the state's Attorney General's office, as an additional resource,has been helpful to municipalities in resolving such questions.

I like to be more than an email personality, so if I can, I'lldrop by and say "hi". Help you put a face to the name, so to speak.

Respectfully,

Dan ****

248-808-4894

----- Original Message ----
To: ***@yahoo.com
Cc: "Tanghe, Tom" <ttanghe@auburnhills.org>; "Auger, Peter" <pauger@auburnhills.org>; jbacon@secrestwardle.com
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 2:36:54 PM
Subject: Your Request

Dear Mr. M***,

Mr. Auger has forwarded your request regarding the open carry of handguns in the City to me. I will be taking a look at the ordinance and consulting with Mr. Auger and the City Attorney in light of your information. We will be back in touch with you once we have had an opportunity to do some research.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Doreen E. Olko

Chief of Police

Auburn Hills Police Department

1899 North Squirrel Road

Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326

dolko@auburnhills.org

DanM

imported post

I met briefly with Chief Olko to say "hi" and ask about progress on her review of the ordinance in question (see "Auburn Hills Inquiry").

She is a very pleasant person. She informed me that the review is near completion. She did not ask me "whydo you feel the need to carry". Shedid not editorialize about open carry. She was interested in how LEOs might interact with a citizen who is open carrying, and she was open to my offer to share links to this website.

I emailed her the link to this site, and some attachments which extract key information addressing her curiousity about LEO/citizen interaction.

As always, will keep you posted.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DanM wrote:
I met briefly with Chief Olko to say "hi" and ask about progress on her review of the ordinance in question (see "Auburn Hills Inquiry").

She is a very pleasant person. She informed me that the review is near completion. She did not ask me "whydo you feel the need to carry". Shedid not editorialize about open carry. She was interested in how LEOs might interact with a citizen who is open carrying, and she was open to my offer to share links to this website.

I emailed her the link to this site, and some attachments which extract key information addressing her curiousity about LEO/citizen interaction.

Well done Dan.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
DanM wrote:

Well done Dan.
Yes, well done.

DanM

imported post

WIN for OC! I contacted Auburn Hills Parks and Recreation a little while agoabout their park signs violating state preemption regarding firearms. The city acknowledges what was pointed out and reports changing the signs. The reported change may not be perfect, butthe acknowledgement that there wasa preemption violation and change to get to compliance are the important accomplishments.

Email trail:

----------------------------------

To:<xxx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:24:17 AM
Subject: park signage

Dan,
Thanks for pointing that out - we've changed the park signs to read “except as otherwise authorized by law” in regard toweapons.
Brian

Brian Marzolf
Recreation Director
City of Auburn Hills

------------------------------------

To: bmarzolf@auburnhills.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:19:01 PM
Subject: Park signage in contravention of MCL 123.1102

Dear Mr. Marzolf:

The sign at River Woods Park indicatesweapons are prohibited.Under the 1990 state preemption law with regard to firearms regulations, this prohibition isunenforceablewith regard to firearm possession and ismisleading to the people of Auburn Hills and other citizens. I am requesting you amend this sign and any otheroffending signage atpublic parks in Auburn Hills within a reasonable time. Failure to amend such offending public park signscould be considered an act of malfeasance as the signswillfully misinform the public about what is and is not legally allowed in the city ofAuburn Hills.

Thank You,

Dan Mxxx
Auburn Hills
248-xxx-xxxx

[Lengthy quotationfrom MCL regarding preemption deleted.]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

DanM wrote:
WIN for OC! I contacted Auburn Hills Parks and Recreation a little while agoabout their park signs violating state preemption regarding firearms. The city acknowledges what was pointed out and reports changing the signs. The reported change may not be perfect, butthe acknowledgement that there wasa preemption violation and change to get to compliance are the important accomplishments.

Email trail:

----------------------------------

To:<xxx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:24:17 AM
Subject: park signage

Dan,
Thanks for pointing that out - we've changed the park signs to read “except as otherwise authorized by law” in regard toweapons.
Brian

Brian Marzolf
Recreation Director
City of Auburn Hills

------------------------------------

To: bmarzolf@auburnhills.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:19:01 PM
Subject: Park signage in contravention of MCL 123.1102

Dear Mr. Marzolf:

The sign at River Woods Park indicatesweapons are prohibited.Under the 1990 state preemption law with regard to firearms regulations, this prohibition isunenforceablewith regard to firearm possession and ismisleading to the people of Auburn Hills and other citizens. I am requesting you amend this sign and any otheroffending signage atpublic parks in Auburn Hills within a reasonable time. Failure to amend such offending public park signscould be considered an act of malfeasance as the signswillfully misinform the public about what is and is not legally allowed in the city ofAuburn Hills.

Thank You,

Dan Mxxx
Auburn Hills
248-xxx-xxxx

[Lengthy quotationfrom MCL regarding preemption deleted.]
Great work Dan, it's a start. Now if they change the ordinance that's a bonus.