• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on Metro?

Bundabar

imported post

A few weeks ago I contacted Metro Police about carrying a handgun on the Washington Metro, assuming you don't go into D.C. They finally got back to me with this.

"Thank you for contacting the Metro Transit Police. Regulation of firearms in the Metrorail system is governed by the laws of the respective jurisdictions and their political subdivisions. If you have any questions as to whether carrying a firearm is legal in any location, you should seek the advice of an attorney."

This sounds to me as if you can carry on the Metro as long as you don't cross into DC, any thoughts?

IanB

imported post

Two grey areas (federal property):

Pentagon

Arlington Cemetary

Otherwise, carry on Metro is lawful as long as you stay in VA.

Note: It has been discussed on here before, see below:

Mike wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Mike,
Has the issue concerning Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery Metro stops been clarified yet? Or am I just behind on current policy?
No change - current policy of military authorites is that any gun carry is unlawful if you get out of the Metro station, even on a peaceable journey.

Current policy of the Metro Board is they don't care about their riders and will not even ask military authorities to consider a peaceable journey rule.

The good news though is that I don't think any person waives their Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable search while walking from the Metro to, say, other public transportation or Macy's Dept Store at these locations.

Under the Fourth Amendment, before federal law enforcement may even briefly detain a person, they must have a reasonable articulable suspicionthat criminal activity is afoot. Terry v. Ohio. And before a person so detained can then be lightly patted down for weapons, the officer must have reason to believe that the eprson is armed. Id.

Sometimes concealed is the best option on the Metro going thru these locations, especially in an emergency which requires Metro riders to disembark at go above ground at those locations.

xd.40

imported post

You have to get off at Rosslyn, as it is the last stop in VA. Avoid Arlington Cemetery because once you step off the platform, you are on Federal property. If you are on the Yellow line, get off at Pentagon City (I would avoid the Pentagon, Federal property), and Rosslyn for the Orange and Blue line.

See the map here - http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

ccunning

imported post

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear this mainly because Metro is able to prohibit things such as Eating, Drinking, and Smoking in the terminals as well as on the trains. Why one and not the other? Or have they just chosen not to prohibit firearms?

possumboy

imported post

ccunning wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear this mainly because Metro is able to prohibit things such as Eating, Drinking, and Smoking in the terminals as well as on the trains. Why one and not the other? Or have they just chosen not to prohibit firearms?

Metro Police have jurisdiction in VA, MD, an DC - they only police force in the USA to cover that many jurisdictions. They enforce "laws of the respective jurisdictions and their political subdivisions."

Have you ever been in/on public transportation that allows eating, drinking, and smoking? It increases the trash and "other" riders. It is considered a health and appearance matter.

I'm guessing, they would ban firearms on the Metro in VA if they could. I have had Metro Police watch me until I get off in VA. My guess is I would have been arrested if I had enter DC or MD. At the minimum, asked for credentials. Many FLEOs ride and carry on Metro. Few OC.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you choose to OC on the Metro, just be damned sure not to miss your stop. If you do miss your stop, you just messed up big time.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why should your holster be any different because you might ride metro?

Safe enough to wear in public = safe enough for most anywhere = safe enough for metro

SIGguy229

imported post

My point is...on Metro you are crammed like sardines.

If I'm OCing in my neighborhood (few people) or if out driving around...I wear an open top holster.

If I'm going somewhere where there is going to be a lot of people...I'll wear my holster with retention.