Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 144

Thread: Why do you carry a gun sir?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post

    It seems to me that we should come up with a card the size of a business card that answers that question professionally, clearly and concisely so that we could present that card to everyone who asks us this question.

    The card could even direct the individual to this site for more information. This could be a good way to spread the word and educate folks regarding carrying firearms and their 2nd admendment rights.

    What would such a card have on it? Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    I think a card would be best used only if you didn't have time to talk at that moment. Otherwise, a 1 on 1 conversation would be a much better choice (and more educational) if confronted with that or any other questions.

    To me, It would seem odd and maybe even dismissive forme to just hand someone a card instead of engaging them in conversation.

    On the other hand, it would make a great one line response:

    "Here, study this, and hope that you are prepared if you have to face the test..."

    ...Best delivered with a 1000 yard stare...
    ...Orygunner...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Secretary MOC, Inc. Frankenmuth, , USA
    Posts
    894

    Post imported post

    Orygunner wrote:
    I think a card would be best used only if you didn't have time to talk at that moment. Otherwise, a 1 on 1 conversation would be a much better choice (and more educational) if confronted with that or any other questions.

    To me, It would seem odd and maybe even dismissive forme to just hand someone a card instead of engaging them in conversation.

    On the other hand, it would make a great one line response:

    "Here, study this, and hope that you are prepared if you have to face the test..."

    ...Best delivered with a 1000 yard stare...
    ...Orygunner...
    I agree. A card isn't personal enough, and the person may just throw it away, especially if they aren't already interested in the subject, or worse, an anti.


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

    However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

    Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post

    When I suggested the card idea I did not mean to imply that I would not have a face to fact conversation with them. Since I started open carry I have had several conversations with those who ask. Nice friendly easy going and educational conversations. I just thought that leaving them with a card that directs them to a place where they can obtain more information would be better still.

    Why, they may even join our ranks and help the cause.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    Yes, a card could be a good idea as a supplement to a good conversation. Something with some web links to OCDO or some local (state) pro-gun websites, along with personal reasons for carrying, etc. Something positive to leave them with...

    ...besides the faint smell of Hoppes #9 :P...
    ...Orygunner...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burlington, ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Ive contemplated making cards for when I make the leap into OCing. If I had the time for a conversation/debate I am always into having them, but questions dont always come up when you ahve time and I always thought handing a card to some on and saying "Id love to have this conversation with you, but I'm running late, hopefuly this can help answer some of your question"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Newark, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    I carry a card with me and during the conversation I had them one. Mine, of course, is tailored to Ohio, but it contains links that could help others.

    The card I carry is avilable at http://www.twotires.com/OC%20Avery%20Cards%208869.doc

    Of course, if you look at it and have any suggestions, please speak up - I'm always looking for suggestions. (Note this is a front & back card, so look at both pages).



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    I and my wife carry because we live and shop in a city that a few years ago wasthe murder capital of the U.S. Crime is still high with rapes, car-jackings, drug use, purse snatchings, etc.

  10. #10
    Regular Member desert-prospector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    (City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    Orygunner wrote:
    ...besides the faint smell of Hoppes #9 :P...
    ...Orygunner...
    If they only made a cologne...

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Hoppe's is in Coatsville, PA (or was). I tried to get a tour and was told 'no facilities.' The #9 formulation has changed and not for the better.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    sureshot wrote:
    I and my wife carry because we live and shop in a city that a few years ago wasthe murder capital of the U.S. Crime is still high with rapes, car-jackings, drug use, purse snatchings, etc.
    is that really all the info your giving us? I would like GPS coordinates so that i can avoid this place!

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614

    Post imported post

    sureshot wrote:
    I and my wife carry because we live and shop in a city that a few years ago wasthe murder capital of the U.S. Crime is still high with rapes, car-jackings, drug use, purse snatchings, etc.
    Welcome to OCDO sureshot. Lots of good people and info here.

    protectedby9mm - here's your link: http://www.travelbygps.com/coordinates.php

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    S.W lower Michigan. Don't have GPS co-ordnance for the area. Have you ever

    heard of Benton Harbor, Michigan?

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614

    Post imported post

    sureshot wrote:
    S.W lower Michigan. Don't have GPS co-ordnance for the area. Have you ever

    heard of Benton Harbor, Michigan?
    Benton Harbor, MI, USA
    Coordinates: -86.451355,42.11279,0

    Benton Harbor is due east of Mayor Daley's gulag.
    What is Benton Harbor's position on personal defense?

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

    give you a brief outline.

    Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

    No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

    The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

    by the relatives.

    I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.







  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I wasn't aware that MI had passed a castle doctrine. Very happy to see that!

    Welcome to the forum SureShot!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614

    Post imported post

    sureshot wrote:
    In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

    give you a brief outline.

    Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

    No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

    The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

    by the relatives.

    I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.





    Cite please.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Why I will carry?

    I'm 55 and that old can of "WhupASS" I use to carry around with me has long passed it's maximum shelf life. That , and I can't remember what I did with the opener. So I'll have to use an alternative form of self defense.

    What was the question again?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    806

    Post imported post

    N00blet45 wrote:
    I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

    However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

    Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.
    What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.


    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Why I will carry?

    I'm 55 and that old can of "WhupASS" I use to carry around with me has long passed it's maximum shelf life. That , and I can't remember what I did with the opener. So I'll have to use an alternative form of self defense.

    What was the question again?


  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    sureshot wrote:
    In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

    give you a brief outline.

    Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

    No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

    The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

    by the relatives.

    I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.





    Cite please.

    Yata hey
    No response?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Graham, Texas
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    Weak 9mm wrote:
    N00blet45 wrote:
    I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

    However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

    Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.
    What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.
    Actually, seeing as most of the people in this world are still not Godless like yourself, this might work with many people. I personally wouldn't put it on there, but in conversation I might ask if they were a Christian and cite this passage to them.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614

    Post imported post

    Anything that works, anything that gets the message out in a postitve, manner should be in your kit bag. Different strokes for different folks.

    Much of what we do is educational and holding the attention of the target audience while implanting the seed of knowledge is the mark of a good instructor/teacher.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    806

    Post imported post

    Actually, seeing as most of the people in this world are still not Godless like yourself, this might work with many people. I personally wouldn't put it on there, but in conversation I might ask if they were a Christian and cite this passage to them.
    LOL, you actually felt the need to capitalize godless.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    Weak 9mm wrote:
    Actually, seeing as most of the people in this world are still not Godless like yourself, this might work with many people. I personally wouldn't put it on there, but in conversation I might ask if they were a Christian and cite this passage to them.
    LOL, you actually felt the need to capitalize godless.
    I laughed at that too.

    Anyways, it is usually best to keep religion out because religion is an emotional argument. The right to protect yourself and the method you choose to do so is a logic based argument. Logic and religion don't mix.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •