• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you carry a gun sir?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
sureshot wrote:
In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

give you a brief outline.

Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

by the relatives.

I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.
Cite please.

Yata hey
No response?

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.
What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.

Actually, seeing as most of the people in this world are still not Godless like yourself, this might work with many people. I personally wouldn't put it on there, but in conversation I might ask if they were a Christian and cite this passage to them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Anything that works, anything that gets the message out in a postitve, manner should be in your kit bag. Different strokes for different folks.

Much of what we do is educational and holding the attention of the target audience while implanting the seed of knowledge is the mark of a good instructor/teacher.

Yata hey

Weak 9mm

imported post

Actually, seeing as most of the people in this world are still not Godless like yourself, this might work with many people. I personally wouldn't put it on there, but in conversation I might ask if they were a Christian and cite this passage to them.
LOL, you actually felt the need to capitalize godless.

David.Car

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I laughed at that too.

Anyways, it is usually best to keep religion out because religion is an emotional argument. The right to protect yourself and the method you choose to do so is a logic based argument. Logic and religion don't mix.

madcapmag

imported post

>:3

Jesus Christ! Its a lion! Get in the car!

| |
| __ _ |
|____//\ \________//\\_____|
\/\/

Jesus Christ! Its a lion! Get out of the car!

My crude attempt at ASCII art is being thwarted at the moment:cuss:

That lion one is a good one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

David.Car wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:
I laughed at that too.

Anyways, it is usually best to keep religion out because religion is an emotional argument. The right to protect yourself and the method you choose to do so is a logic based argument. Logic and religion don't mix.
Actually, both lend themselves to emotional diatribes. Ever notice how similar a visceral an anti-gun person or an anti-religion are in their persuasions? They can get quite emotional; both of them.

What I find interesting on this site, and others, is the vehemently anti-Christian dialog that proliferates many of the postings. One has to wonder what is going on.

I am a Christian, but I don't go around trying to shove my spiritual concepts down other people's throats. And I don't postulate or denigrate those who hold differing views. What I do see are people who are on the other side of the fence down just those things and it gives me pause and makes me wonder why.

Gentlemen, we are biting the hands of our gun friends and supporters. Does this seem rational?

Weak 9mm

imported post

I am a Christian, but I don't go around trying to shove my spiritual concepts down other people's throats. And I don't postulate or denigrate those who hold differing views. What I do see are people who are on the other side of the fence down just those things and it gives me pause and makes me wonder why.

Well, we only mentioned this after someone wanted to put their religious beliefs on the card, so it didn't just come out of nowhere. Your "side" of the argument was the one attempting to push this belief.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36.
What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.
Just goes to show how the self-proclaimed protectors of the constitution really feel...

Why is it that the anti-religious are so much more viscious than those whom the deride for the same?

I don't see any 'insertion' of religion into the fray... I see "supporting evidence." For those who don't beleive in anything biblical, why not just overlook it? Why throw the whole thing out just becaue of that? Look what you did! You decided to throw out the whole concept of pro-gun just because of it... I'e never seen or heard of a modern catholic declaring Jihad... But those who hate them do it every chance they get.... Even cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

People with faces commit rape... And, well, you have a face, so everything that comes out of it must be worthless, and you're a rapist...? Clearly, flawed logic. Even if you disagree with ALL religion, there is no basis for hatred of such blinding severity.

I think it helps the Fakers. The so-called "religious" people who beleive in leftist pacifism; something the very bible they claim to beleive in is completely opposed to. Showing them the Verses their Pastors hide, that they are too lazy to read for themselves, is a nice slap in the face. Doesn't matter if I, or You, believe any of it or not. Showing them the hypocrisy of their position is always useful, in whatever form manages to get through to them.

Is that not the root of our plight? So may people believing in propaganda instead of reality? If I hand that Verse to a Faux Christian, they have to question their position, or keep making excuses to believe a lie. Just like any other Anti.

"I'm a Christian and I believe XXX."

"Oh really? Then why are your words the complete opposite of the Bible?"

There is very little that is more powerful to a religious person, than staring at proof that you've been taught to believe the opposite of what is written.

It won't help to go on an anti-semetic crusade. You just prove yourself to be all of the bad things that you accuse religion of being. Once discredited to that extent, who is going to listen to you? If the recipient of the card is such a person, filled with so much anti-1st ammendment hate and anger, do you really think you have any chance of chaning their mind anyway?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:

Well, we only mentioned this after someone wanted to put their religious beliefs on the card, so it didn't just come out of nowhere. Your "side" of the argument was the one attempting to push this belief.
Ah, the anti-religious excuse for hate... How dare someone exist who thinks differently thatn my anti-theism! Let us exterminate them! Gosh, sounds an the Inquisition... Or maybe a Crusade...

If I tell you that I think my watch battery is dead, does that mean I'm 'shoving that belief' down your throat? If I write a website down on the back of a business card, say, OCDO, am I 'shoving that belief' down your throat? No, just offering my PERSONAL reasons and a suggestion that you get educated.

Some people believe in G/god. Just becasue you can tell, does not mean they are shoving anything on you. Most people with an IQ above room temperature don't fall for that obvious crap argument. Those who make it, expose their own prejudice and nothing else. It insults my intelligence too. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to fall for it for the thousandth time?

I would almost believe in G/god simply because of behavior like this that I see in those who don't.

Just like Antis. Their arguments are completely empty, and involve exposing themselves to be the very things they accuse others of.

Stick a fork in you....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I see no point in bashing either direction - it does not benefit the purpose of this site.
Be gentlemen and let it be - no excuses.

I have spoken.
Yata hey

demnogis

imported post

Is this a theology debate or "why you open carry" discussion? The man gave his reason. It just so happens that his spiritual beleif coincides with his constitutional right.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Hah, I didn't turn it into a debate. You see who the debaters are here. I simply said I'd throw out a card that put religion into something that had nothing to do with religion. That's not hate, you guys are the ones who can't handle someone expressing their dislike for your injection of religion. If you think I shouldn't care, why do you care so much that I've expressed my opinion on the matter?

I simply said that putting it on the card will turn many people away, which it will, lol.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Very strange, I hit post once and it instantly doubled up on me.

azebolsky

imported post

Can't we all just get along? He can put whatever he wants on his card, you can put whatever you want on yours, mine will simply say "ROOBY ROOBY ROOOOO!":monkey

*S*

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I simply said I'd throw out a card that put religion into something that had nothing to do with religion.
For him, it does have something to do with it. Your opinion does not define his.

Did you even bother to research? Has nothing to do with your beliefs, it has to do with his.

It is an oft cited verse referring to the value of a weapon over clothing; that if you travel and value your life, dignity, and possessions, you're better off doing it naked and armed, than clothed and unarmed. I believe it was even spoken to a woman... A wise man would go read it for himself.

Those are pretty strong words, whether you are Biblically inclined or not. You would discard that wisdom just because it can be found in a book you don't like? I could do just the opposite... I could say that everything found on this website should be thrown away, because the internet is nothing but smut, you heathens!

Silly and immature, at best, no matter which side of it you're on.

Naked open carry, hmmm.... I wonder if anyone living on a nudist colony has done this? Aside from the civil dischord it might create, think of the message a few naked women with guns could send? "we can wander around naked, in the worst part of town, and still be safer than you." Or maybe a caption (or body paint!) that says "still think i'm asking for it?"

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"that put religion into something that had nothing to do with religion."

Nothing like quote marks to ruin your day...

Weak 9mm

imported post

Personal defense has nothing to do with religion, g money. :banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For the sake of the thread, only one more time...

Aparently, your opinion is not everyone else's.

I refuse to beat the dead horse anymore.