• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you carry a gun sir?

SDguy

imported post

It seems to me that we should come up with a card the size of a business card that answers that question professionally, clearly and concisely so that we could present that card to everyone who asks us this question.

The card could even direct the individual to this site for more information. This could be a good way to spread the word and educate folks regarding carrying firearms and their 2nd admendment rights.

What would such a card have on it? Any ideas?

Orygunner

imported post

I think a card would be best used only if you didn't have time to talk at that moment. Otherwise, a 1 on 1 conversation would be a much better choice (and more educational) if confronted with that or any other questions.

To me, It would seem odd and maybe even dismissive forme to just hand someone a card instead of engaging them in conversation.

On the other hand, it would make a great one line response:

"Here, study this, and hope that you are prepared if you have to face the test..."

...Best delivered with a 1000 yard stare...
...Orygunner...

SQLtables

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
I think a card would be best used only if you didn't have time to talk at that moment. Otherwise, a 1 on 1 conversation would be a much better choice (and more educational) if confronted with that or any other questions.

To me, It would seem odd and maybe even dismissive forme to just hand someone a card instead of engaging them in conversation.

On the other hand, it would make a great one line response:

"Here, study this, and hope that you are prepared if you have to face the test..."

...Best delivered with a 1000 yard stare...
...Orygunner...
I agree. A card isn't personal enough, and the person may just throw it away, especially if they aren't already interested in the subject, or worse, an anti.

N00blet45

imported post

I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.

SDguy

imported post

When I suggested the card idea I did not mean to imply that I would not have a face to fact conversation with them. Since I started open carry I have had several conversations with those who ask. Nice friendly easy going and educational conversations. I just thought that leaving them with a card that directs them to a place where they can obtain more information would be better still.

Why, they may even join our ranks and help the cause.

Orygunner

imported post

Yes, a card could be a good idea as a supplement to a good conversation. Something with some web links to OCDO or some local (state) pro-gun websites, along with personal reasons for carrying, etc. Something positive to leave them with...

...besides the faint smell of Hoppes #9 :p...
...Orygunner...

modificationvt

imported post

Ive contemplated making cards for when I make the leap into OCing. If I had the time for a conversation/debate I am always into having them, but questions dont always come up when you ahve time and I always thought handing a card to some on and saying "Id love to have this conversation with you, but I'm running late, hopefuly this can help answer some of your question"

eacurtis

imported post

I carry a card with me and during the conversation I had them one. Mine, of course, is tailored to Ohio, but it contains links that could help others.

The card I carry is avilable at http://www.twotires.com/OC%20Avery%20Cards%208869.doc

Of course, if you look at it and have any suggestions, please speak up - I'm always looking for suggestions. (Note this is a front & back card, so look at both pages).

sureshot

imported post

I and my wife carry because we live and shop in a city that a few years ago wasthe murder capital of the U.S. Crime is still high with rapes, car-jackings, drug use, purse snatchings, etc.

scorpioajr

imported post

sureshot wrote:
I and my wife carry because we live and shop in a city that a few years ago wasthe murder capital of the U.S. Crime is still high with rapes, car-jackings, drug use, purse snatchings, etc.

is that really all the info your giving us? I would like GPS coordinates so that i can avoid this place! :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sureshot wrote:
Welcome to OCDO sureshot. Lots of good people and info here.

protectedby9mm - here's your link: http://www.travelbygps.com/coordinates.php :)

Yata hey

sureshot

imported post

S.W lower Michigan. Don't have GPS co-ordnance for the area. Have you ever

heard of Benton Harbor, Michigan?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sureshot wrote:
S.W lower Michigan. Don't have GPS co-ordnance for the area. Have you ever

heard of Benton Harbor, Michigan?
Benton Harbor, MI, USA
Coordinates: -86.451355,42.11279,0

Benton Harbor is due east of Mayor Daley's gulag.
What is Benton Harbor's position on personal defense?

Yata hey

sureshot

imported post

In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

give you a brief outline.

Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

by the relatives.

I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sureshot wrote:
In Michigan we have had several changes to our CCW laws, all for the good. I will

give you a brief outline.

Can use deadly force anytime you, or anotherhuman being,feelsthey are going to receive great bodily harm or death.

No need to retreat as long as you have a right to be where you are.

The best one is, if we have to use deadly force, we are free from civil lawsuits

by the relatives.

I have about 30 pages that my senator sent me that has the complete laws and the revisions.
Cite please.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why I will carry?

I'm 55 and that old can of "WhupASS" I use to carry around with me has long passed it's maximum shelf life. That , and I can't remember what I did with the opener. So I'll have to use an alternative form of self defense.

What was the question again?

Weak 9mm

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I agree that it's better to have a conversation with the person. A card is too "businessy". The main problem with the antis is that they don't really see us a normal people, they usually tend to think of gun carriers as cowboys or criminals. If you can't get them to see you as a normal person you're never going to convince them.

However, if you can't engage in a conversation with them a card with the highlights of your argument might help you win them over. What you put on the card depends on your reasons for carrying. Some people carry for religious reasons, others for moral, others for self-preservation, and some because the constitution says they can. (There are others but those are the most common reasons.)

Now if I was going to design a card I would make sure to put the scripture of Luke 22:36. That is the main reason I carry. It's a religious belief that is also rooted in the idea of self-defense. I'd also put a link to the Kentucky state code on firearms, showing that it is indeed legal. I'd probably put the words of the 2nd amendment, maybe a quote from one of our founding fathers, and a link to this site or a similar site that has information in case they are curious.
What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.

Task Force 16 wrote:
Why I will carry?

I'm 55 and that old can of "WhupASS" I use to carry around with me has long passed it's maximum shelf life. That , and I can't remember what I did with the opener. So I'll have to use an alternative form of self defense.

What was the question again?
:D