• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you carry a gun sir?

gravedigger

imported post

Better than a CARD, what if a CD was produced that people could duplicate on their home computers and hand out. "Here you go. Go home and watch this. If you have any questions, log onto the website listed here ..."

I am not good with video, but I'd dang sure go to Fry's and buy a few hundred CDs in the 100 packs (how much are they, really!) and spend my spare time duplicating them for handing out when I OC.

The video should be informative, entertaining and FACTUAL. Perhaps opening with some doccumentary type shorrts about the McDonald's massacre, Columbine, VA Tech and everything else in between. We could even go back to the Richard Speck murders (circa 1960s, 8 women in a dorm.) There are countless fine examples of horrible massacres that could have been lessened in severity or avoided all together, had one or more of the victims been armed.

These shorts would be intermixed with brief statements by folks, accounts of successful self-defense with a handgun, and so forth. Then perhaps some shooting video, designed to disspell the notion that a gun is inherently "unsafe." Follow that up with pure logic and the TRUTH, toss in the original intent of the founding fathers and a TRUE explanation of the difference between a RIGHT and a privilege, and I dare say you'd have one of the most widely distributed and copied CDs in America! WE CAN DO THIS!

LongRider

imported post

As I posted on another thread My favorite responce is a [font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]quote from J[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]ohn Connor[/font] "[font="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular"]For life, liberty and Little Lizzie."
if you are unfamuliar with the story see Why Do You Carry A Gun
[/font]

Weak 9mm

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Better than a CARD, what if a CD was produced that people could duplicate on their home computers and hand out. "Here you go. Go home and watch this. If you have any questions, log onto the website listed here ..."

I am not good with video, but I'd dang sure go to Fry's and buy a few hundred CDs in the 100 packs (how much are they, really!) and spend my spare time duplicating them for handing out when I OC.

The video should be informative, entertaining and FACTUAL. Perhaps opening with some doccumentary type shorrts about the McDonald's massacre, Columbine, VA Tech and everything else in between. We could even go back to the Richard Speck murders (circa 1960s, 8 women in a dorm.) There are countless fine examples of horrible massacres that could have been lessened in severity or avoided all together, had one or more of the victims been armed.

These shorts would be intermixed with brief statements by folks, accounts of successful self-defense with a handgun, and so forth. Then perhaps some shooting video, designed to disspell the notion that a gun is inherently "unsafe." Follow that up with pure logic and the TRUTH, toss in the original intent of the founding fathers and a TRUE explanation of the difference between a RIGHT and a privilege, and I dare say you'd have one of the most widely distributed and copied CDs in America! WE CAN DO THIS!

I really like this idea, especially the TRUTH part. None of that religious assumption crap, just a video on firearms and facts that can be (And IS) backed up with EVIDENCE. All of the evidence and sources would be clearly listed at the end so that anyone who didn't believe it could actually go out and research it themselves. This is a critical piece of the puzzle and it's something that is often left out of anti-gun propaganda. When sources are included in anti-gun propaganda, the sources are often blatantly associated with, or sympathetic towards, the anti-gun lobby.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A half dozen mini-CDs in the pocket doesn't sound bad.

Keep it simple and to the point, if someone wants to add their $0.02 in some form, just put it on the label. No less real estate there than was on the original business card idea, the actual video message remains sterile to even the most prejudiced person.

I'd do it.

Why not have a bit on 'the price of gun control' too? Oleg Volk has a few images detailing the fact that giving government control of weapons results in more death and violence, by many orders of magnitude, than giving them to the citizens.

I bet he might even get on board. That'd be a heavy hitter from the community.

RIAShooter

imported post

I really like this idea, especially the TRUTH part. None of that religious assumption crap, just a video on firearms and facts that can be (And IS) backed up with EVIDENCE. All of the evidence and sources would be clearly listed at the end so that anyone who didn't believe it could actually go out and research it themselves. This is a critical piece of the puzzle and it's something that is often left out of anti-gun propaganda. When sources are included in anti-gun propaganda, the sources are often blatantly associated with, or sympathetic towards, the anti-gun lobby.

I'm still waiting on evidence that I was once a monkey's uncle, or primordial ooze, no one can seem to come up with any, that's why there called theories.

demnogis

imported post

Yes, they are still theories. We also call religion theology.

Let's not turn this into a religion thread anymore. Agreeing to disagree when it comes to beleifs (unless you're putting something out there for your thesis for an Apologetics Doctorate)

Weak 9mm

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:

I'm still waiting on evidence that I was once a monkey's uncle, or primordial ooze, no one can seem to come up with any, that's why there called theories.
It looks like you need to do some reading into the definition of a scientific theory vs. the commoner's definition of a theory.

The theory of Gravity is just a guess right?

N00blet45

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
What is it with people trying to slip religion into everything? If you hand that card to anyone who isn't christian, they're likely to dismiss it right then and there. I know I'd trash it the second I came across that s***. It's also a bit disturbing that you carry because of religion. It will come across as some kind of jihadist/crusader crap.
People carry for all sorts of reasons. One of my reasons happens to be based on my religious beliefs. What's so wrong with that? If people don't want to know they shouldn't ask.

And why exactly is it disturbing that I have a religious belief that I should be armed to defend myself and my family? If it was a moral or constitutional belief would it be any different?

N00blet45

imported post

Forgive me but I don't see that. I briefly scanned over the posts again and the only thing I found close to that was, "Personal defense has nothing to do with religion." And that is a matter of opinion. Maybe your belief of self-defense doesn't come from your religion, maybe you get it from a moral or intellectual reasoning, but mine does (aside from other reasons). I'm not going to quote you scripture because then you'll just ignore the post. :p But I will say that I believe that life is a gift from my creator and I'm going to use whatever means to defend it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Be the better man and don't waste your time explaining the obvious.

Here to defend the 2nd, but no respect for the 1st... "I didn't get from point A to point B that way, so no one else is allowed to say that they did."

Blah blah blah.

So, DVD MPEG2 format you say? Not everyone is computer savvy, so we need to make it easy to view. Just about anyone can feed a DVD player.

Put it up on youtube, too, when we're done?

RIAShooter

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:

It looks like you need to do some reading into the definition of a scientific theory vs. the commoner's definition of a theory.

The theory of Gravity is just a guess right?
pretty sure it's called the law of gravity, butif your hellbent on it being a theory please feel free to jump off your roof

madcapmag

imported post

Actually, they're not entirely sure how gravity works. We see and feelthe effects, but gravity is still a theory because it can't be explained. :p

Not sure why there's any arguements about religion or no religion. If you have a religious reason for carrying, fine. If you feel religion and guns are like oil and water, fine. Who cares? We're all together on one thing: Open Carry does more good than bad and can be carried out responsibly and educationally. Why do I open carry? To be a model citizen, as we are all called to be. To be a testimony for responsible firearm ownership. And less grandiose, because its better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

attachment.php

ZOMG! Like totaly, the not gravity and stuff, like, what is your theory on this!!

Global Warming! Reganomics! Your mom!

Is this thread useless yet?

Alec411

imported post

MODS: TERMINATE THIS THREAD. IT IS NOW IN VIOLATION OF RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: NO SEX, NO RELIGION, NO POLITICS:banghead: