• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If an Officer asks for your gun...

eye95

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
If an officer asks for my gun in WI, he/she will most likely be facing a civil suit. I will deny their request and not consent to any search or seizure of my property.

The ONLY way LEO gets the firearm is if I am arrested, and then given I haven't broken any laws, they will be sued.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. ( http://www.wisconsincarry.org ) already got a judgment against the City of Racine for this type of thing. $10K won't be enough IF there is a next time!
Does Wisconsin law prohibit/allow/neither prohibit nor allow the taking of your firearm for officer safety during an otherwise lawful stop?

teddyearp

imported post

Hmmm, very instructive thread. Hi, first post here and after reading this whole thread, I think I like the second reply the best.

I didn't notice any posters from AZ in this thread so I just had to post this tidbit from my experience with AZ LEO's.

1995 Tombstone, AZ. Tucked a loaded pistol into my waistband with only the grip showing. Walking on the street, crossed paths with the marshal. He looked at my pistol, then at me, we nodded and on we both went.

1996 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ. During a 'low' point in my life, having a camp/cook fire in a vacant lot 150 yds off the main highway (SR 260) between a Safeway and a church, while in a $200 car (you get the picture). LEO's come to my 'camp' looking for someone who just robbed someone at the ATM at the Safeway. "Do you have any weapons?" "Yes, there's a pistol in the glove box, it's loaded." LEO's see it, say, well, it's in a holster, you're OK. NEVER EVEN touch it.

2001 On a main hwy (US 89 or 89a) outside of Prescott, AZ. (Yeah, I have been a f-up) Stopped in a pull-out to sleep off my day full of wandering on the deep forest roads south of Prescott. Got woke up by two AZ DPS officers around 2AM. "I have a pistol on the seat here next to me and it's loaded" "Well, it's in a holster, you're OK." "You smell like you've been drinking, you better not drive" "Don't worry, that's why I'm here sleeping" Again, they NEVER laid a hand on it.

I know this post probably went quite a ways off the topic, but I just thought I'd point out the way that the LEO's in AZ handle an open carry firearm.