• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Character References? For a CHP?!

ootahtheterrible

imported post

Hey all,

I recently moved from the Hampton Roads area to Davidson County NC. I have a VA CHP that is desperately close to expiring (I've been on deployment) so I went to the Sheriff with my NRA certificate and NCDL.

I was told that I needed to fill out the usual form plus three "character references." I was told that since I'd need 2 for a permit to purchase, 3 for a CHP isn't all that much to ask (as though they were doing ME a favor).

Well...before I went down to the office I had actually read what the statutes say about the issuing of a CHP (14-415.12) and there is NOTHING-NADA-ZIP-ZILCH either in that statute or in any of the others about any character references for getting a CHP.

When I told this to the nice lady behind the counter I started getting some funny looks from some of the uniformed LEOs hanging about. Regardless, she went back to take a look at the law. Twenty minutes later, she comes out without having found anything and is actually starting to get irritated with me for even asking.javascript:emoticon(':cuss:',%20'images/emoticons/cuss.gif')

After trying to find out where I could get some answers, I'm referred to a detective who handles the background investigations. He's in just a surely mood as the other woman (its a Friday). After another twenty minutes of his own looking he comes back with a rule book given to him by the SBI.

"Well that's neat...but what actual LAW are they basing this on?" I ask.

He vanishes again for another 10 minutes and comes out asking ME what I think the law says! :banghead: I give him the short answer saying that there's nothing in any law available that gives LEOs authority to ask for character references. He claims to be something of a low man on the totem pole so he exhorts me to make a call to the SBI in Raleigh and get my answers there.

I leave.

An hour later as I'm making lunch, I get a call from an unlisted number. I answer. Its the same detective who'd called the Attny. Gen. office in Raleigh. Apparently I had nonplussed them with my inquiry. He tells me that I don't actually have to submit character references to get a CHP and that its an "old requirement that they've been meaning to do away with."

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Did any of you NC CHP holders have to find people willing to fill out character references?

As of now, I'm waiting on my 30 day mark (on my NCDL) to go back down there and get fingerprinted.

Wish me luck. javascript:emoticon(':celebrate',%20'images/emoticons/banana.gif')

Custodian

imported post

Character references as I know of in Durham county (and they asked for 5), were for PURCHASE PERMITS not CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS. Which was another prime reason for me to get one in this ambiguous Open Carry state.

As I know of (cause I know I didn't give them any), character references for the NCCHP don't have to be adhered to once you take your NCCHP firearms course & pay your money to the Sheriff so they can ascertain your background status, which is what they are going to do anyways.

My take? Sounds like another small county thinking they have the power of opinion enforcement, not law enforcement, and you had too much intelligence & savvy to back down to that backwater nonsense. They just can't merge requirements for one type of permit with another. And doing a little research into the permits as I've seen on the net from the local county government sites, it is ONLY (from what I've seen) the PISTOL PURCHASE PERMIT, not the CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT that REQUIRES references. Now, as it seems, if that county wanted to add on references, sure, okay, but NOT LEGALLY UNDER STATE LAW. Once again, opinion enforcement, not law enforcement.

Good thing this is a shall-issue state, huh?

The link for my search results.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nort...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I can't remember giving references in Union county, but then again who would say I was worthy of a firearm?
I wonder what they'd do if you wrote down God? :p

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DreQo wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
I can't remember giving references in Union county, but then again who would say I was worthy of a firearm?
I wonder what they'd do if you wrote down God? :p

1. Father
2. Son
3. Holy Spirit

Or for the non-Christian...

1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Samuel Adams
3. Paul Revere