• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Boston Globe discusses Open Carry

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
I was looking at Waynes Blog on the NRA.org page and found this....

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/06/16/open_carry_guns_at_our_childrens_risk/

They suggest "We should hav more Shame"

Wayne Lapierre chimes in http://www.nra.org/
Good Lord, I get so damned sick of hearing, "let's do it for the children". One of the dumbest things I ever heard a president utter was Bill Clinton saying that. "tonight, not one Soviet missle is targeted at an American child". As if that were even possible then or now!!

And what makes children's lives so important in the first place? Why would we think their lives are more important than our wives or husbands, brothers or sisters, parents or grandparents? I see importance in all of these individuals providing they are not criminals or worse. Yes, I know that we value children so much because they are innocent (at least in the early stages of their lives) and need our protection. I have two grown daughters and I certainly value their lives and the life of my wife.

These idiots love to play the "for the children" game just like they love to play the race card when it suits their agenda.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

What hyperbolic bushwah to be memories of a 4 year old!

That the gun was my father's was a first clue to potency. Hidden away, yet the gun sent a pulse through the whole apartment, a psychological electromagnet around which my awareness swirled. Long before I tasted the temptations of sex, I yielded to an irresistible prurience by opening that drawer. Initiation into obscenity.
Which is the lie, 4 years old or FBI?

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I strictly meant that it had been posted on this forum before, not to attack anyone. I would suggest that you keep from doing so yourself, sir. It does no one anygood.

Divided we fall; why line up the log on the chopping block?

1st freedom

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
I believe that this is a repost.

I had not seen it posted before,thought somebody might be interested. If it is a repost, I apologize.

Thank you for your creative and productive insight Doug Huffman:lol:

SouthernBoy

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
1st freedom wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/06/16/open_carry_guns_at_our_childrens_risk/

Good Lord, I get so damned sick of hearing, "let's do it for the children". One of the dumbest things I ever heard a president utter was Bill Clinton saying that. "tonight, not one Soviet missle is targeted at an American child". As if that were even possible then or now!!

And what makes children's lives so important in the first place? Why would we think their lives are more important than our wives or husbands, brothers or sisters, parents or grandparents? I see importance in all of these individuals providing they are not criminals or worse. Yes, I know that we value children so much because they are innocent (at least in the early stages of their lives) and need our protection. I have two grown daughters and I certainly value their lives and the life of my wife.

These idiots love to play the "for the children" game just like they love to play the race card when it suits their agenda.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Boy, in opening up this thread again, I reread my post above and I seem to come across as some cold-hearted SOB. Not at all the case.

My intent here was to show the disengenuousness of some people (the article writer for example) in using children and therefore, playing on the natural fears and concerns of adults - parents in particular. ALL of my family members are important to me. And parents of young children have an ingrained instinct to do whatever is necessary to protect their little ones. This is normal.

Hope I didn't cause anyone of you to think I am a heartless SOB.

Sorry for the hijack.. back to the thread.

thorvaldr

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
1st freedom wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Boy, in opening up this thread again, I reread my post above and I seem to come across as some cold-hearted SOB. Not at all the case.

My intent here was to show the disengenuousness of some people (the article writer for example) in using children and therefore, playing on the natural fears and concerns of adults - parents in particular. ALL of my family members are important to me. And parents of young children have an ingrained instinct to do whatever is necessary to protect their little ones. This is normal.

Well, you may or may not be "some cold-hearted SOB" but this using children as an argument thing really burns me up, too. The writer vilifies the NRA, but the NRA is the only organization that I can think of that does ANYTHING about gun safety education for children (Eddie Eagle, etc.) Also he fails to mention that over the last century, as gun ownership rates have skyrocketed, accidental deaths of children involving firearms have dropped to very low levels.

1st freedom

imported post

Thank you for that disclaimer Souther'n, but we still know your are a heartless SOB:lol:

But you are correct! when you can get a lot of traction playing on peoples fears and emotions, why would you want to confuse the issue with the facts!

Your are incorrect however when you call them "These idiot's".They are intelligent enough to now how to get what they wanteven thoughthe Facts,History and Common sense all say the opposite of what they propose

Thorvalder, your post came up as I was typing(pecking). that is my point exactly

SouthernBoy

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
1st freedom wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Well, you may or may not be "some cold-hearted SOB" but this using children as an argument thing really burns me up, too. The writer vilifies the NRA, but the NRA is the only organization that I can think of that does ANYTHING about gun safety education for children (Eddie Eagle, etc.) Also he fails to mention that over the last century, as gun ownership rates have skyrocketed, accidental deaths of children involving firearms have dropped to very low levels.
Yeah, after going over it, I thought to myself that if I saw that, I might jump the gun and think this guy's an a--hole. Believe me, both of my daughters are quite precious to me so that should tell you something. I just felt I had to clear up the air because I know how my post looked to me.

As for the substance of my post, that of evil people using sensitive subjects (children in this case) for their own agenda, I stand by that as I see you do as well.

Yes the NRA has done some miraculous work with gun safety and the young. And this is nothing new.. they have been doing this for many years as have other fine organizations.

SouthernBoy

imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Thank you for that disclaimer Souther'n, but we still know your are a heartless SOB:lol:

But you are correct! when you can get a lot of traction playing on peoples fears and emotions, why would you want to confuse the issue with the facts!

Your are incorrect however when you call them "These idiot's".They are intelligent enough to now how to get what they wanteven thoughthe Facts,History and Common sense all say the opposite of what they propose

Thorvalder, your post came up as I was typing(pecking). that is my point exactly
Yep, I'm just flat no good.. wasted.

My use of the term idiots was more along the lines of their misguided adventures into reducing and eliminating our civil rights. You're right. They're not stupid. But they are among the "useful idiot" as Lenin would put it (no, I am definitely NOT an admirer of Lenin or communism).

Funny thing that Lenin also knew. It is the "useful idiots" that will be the first to be liquidated when the regime they support takes over. Look at Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Communist Cuba and China.. and on and on. The reason they are idiots is that the same theme replays itself throughout man's history, yet these kinds of people continue to make the same mistakes time and again.

yeahYeah

imported post

Children will forever be a pawn in the game called politics.

The democrats and anti's are masters at this game.

children need to be taught, not kept away - that's where the curiousity comes from. But it's drilled into kids heads in school that guns are evil.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I found this on a website about the vilification of tobacco. You can draw a lot of parallels between this and guns.

The anti-smoker movement never misses a chance to mention kids. They're doing all this for the children, For The Children, FOR THE CHILLLLLLLLLLLLDERN! They love vilifying smokers in advertisements, showing them smoking around kids, complete with hyperbole about the dangers of such exposure. Hitler also voiced concern For The Children, but he was more honest about his motives. He said: "The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

rodbender

imported post

1st freedom wrote:

First, I say, "This guys dad was an idiot". Second, I say, "This guy just told the world that his dad was an idiot".

I raised 2 sons from the time they were born with a house full of loaded guns. The thing is, I never made them taboo. From the time they were old enough to pick up one, they were shooting. I had purchased a .22 rifle and single action revolver just for this purpose. I made it very clear that if they wanted to shoot, to ask me or mom and we would arrange it.Wenever denied this activity, postponed it sometimes, but never denied it. I never had a problem with them trying to access them without permission. They were taught from the beginningthatgun safety was paramount, at all times.