Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Family carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post

    Elsewhere on this site I read of many guys who claim that one of their reasons for carrying is to protect their families. I follow that as I do the same. However, since you can't be with your family members all the time I wonder how many of your spouses or adult children also carry regularly?

    In my family of 6 (two are underage) living in the same home we are all shooters and very familar with arms. Firearms are and always have been as common in our home as the furnature.

    However, only my oldest son and I carry regularly with the other adults sometimes thinking about it but not jumping on board. My wife says "I don't carry a fire extinguisher in my purse, so why a gun?" She is not anti-gun whatsoever, she simply does not think anything is going to happen. She however, would like to carry pepper spray.

    Are you the only one in your family who carries or do other immediate family members carry as well? If you deem it important to carry then what about the others in your family?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    I am new to this realm of carrying. But, I find it imperative my wife learns to shoot and carries something. After finding a 911 call on this site of a lady home alone and a man breaking into her bedroom during the 911 call, shooting him, and killing him while still on the phone as she was being strangled- I sent it to my wife's email at work... she came home and said...



    " I want a gun. "

    It totally changed her view to actually hear a real life situation of a female alone, with nothing to protect herself, no man, no sons, not even a locked door, and locked up house... but the gun saved her.

    I am 21 and a newly wed... but if you can research instances for your wife to read or hear, and it may deter her natural instinct to feel as though nothing can happen.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Dr.Coy wrote:
    I am new to this realm of carrying. But, I find it imperative my wife learns to shoot and carries something. After finding a 911 call on this site of a lady home alone and a man breaking into her bedroom during the 911 call, shooting him, and killing him while still on the phone as she was being strangled- I sent it to my wife's email at work... she came home and said...



    " I want a gun. "

    It totally changed her view to actually hear a real life situation of a female alone, with nothing to protect herself, no man, no sons, not even a locked door, and locked up house... but the gun saved her.

    I am 21 and a newly wed... but if you can research instances for your wife to read or hear, and it may deter her natural instinct to feel as though nothing can happen.


    Yea, I sent that same thing to my wife, her response,

    WTF !%@!^$ WERE YOU THINKING (@!&(@&#@

    Of course the fact that she's also pregnant was defintely bad timing on my part

    :what:

  4. #4
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    SDguy wrote:
    My wife says "I don't carry a fire extinguisher in my purse, so why a gun?" She is not anti-gun whatsoever, she simply does not think anything is going to happen. She however, would like to carry pepper spray.
    I find this amusing. I just imagine women lugging around fire-extinguishers and it amuses me. To your wife I would simply say that being doused with gasoline and set aflame is much more rare than being mugged or raped. The gun can protect against the latter two as well as stopping the gasoline hurler. Now, as for spontaneous combustion i don't know what to tell ya.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    haha oh man... Pregnancy, phew hormones wilder than a raging bull. haha

    just keep the ice cream and junior mints going and they stay cool! haha

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cadillac, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    i carry a Fn-5.7 in my waist band, my wife has one in her purse with a LazerMax and our oldest son also has one on his side, he is talking to his wife about getting one also. i would notcarry anything else..

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    My wife and I took the class together, but she doesn't have a gun yet so she hasn't applied for her CHL (I carry a Taurus PT111, she wants a Taurus PT 24/7 - Figures, she wants a bigger gun than me )

    With my decision to start carrying a gun for defense, I've been talking with my two kids (12 and 10) about gun rightsand the law. They arewith me when I OC around town, and I've been explaining my reasons for starting to carry a handgun. They asked how old you have to be to carry a gun. I told them 21 to get a CHL, and 18 to open carry a handgun. Then they asked, what about rifles?

    I explained that Oregon law states it does not prohibit transfer of a firearm (other than a handgun) by or with permission of a parent or guardian, so, technically, they could OC a shotgun or rifle in public.

    They both asked me if they could carry their rifles around now.:shock:

    I explained the point of carrying a handgun is for self-defense first, that OCingis for a deterrantand 2A activism, and that they simply don't have any legitimate reason for carrying a gun around besides activism (I explained there doesn't need to be, but I am going to require one).

    I can't help but think:What have I started?

    I also got to thinking, Oregon law says specifically that it allows transfer of a handgun to a minor "Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose"... isn't self-defense a lawful purpose?

    "Yes officer, I transfer that handgun temporarily to my child every morning for the lawful purpose of self defense, and they give it back to me every evening when they come home safe."

    ...I wonder if I could get away with it ...
    ...Orygunner...

  8. #8
    Regular Member Harper1227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Dr.Coy wrote:
    haha oh man... Pregnancy, phew hormones wilder than a raging bull. haha

    just keep the ice cream and junior mints going and they stay cool! haha


    eh-hem?! As a pregnant wife that carries I warn you that there are some women on this site. at least 2 i know of that are pregnant so you should watch the hormone jokes or you may get a foot in your butt! wait, did i just prove your point. my bad!

    Seriously though. My husband introduced me to carrying. never had a problem with them being in the house but it took me awhile to understand why he felt the need to carry all the time and why we HAD to move to VA when we got out of the military-stationed in Maryland. After awhile of him sending me self defense stories and other stories about people being beaten and raped and killed I couldn't help myself thinking, why didnt anyone do anything, or if she had a gun. And then I started to realize 'well what could I do?" When our daughter was born it became even more of an imperative. Now with number 2 on the way I joke that any of those crazy b!%&*s that want to steal my baby are gonna be real surprised when they break out that box cutter. Now, that may be a tasteless joke, but that is one of the biggest things that scares me at 7 months pregnant. it happens more often than people realize. same with home invasions. which is why I usually have my gun on me at all times in my house.

    Since I am pregnant it has gotten harder to carry on my hip especially when you consider that most maternity pants aren't equipped with belt loops. but, i always keep my 239 in my purse when I can't carry on me. Definitely makes me more certain that no sicko is going to run off with my daughter at the grocery store. and if someone tries to hurt us I am prepared. So, long answer to a short question, yes, we carry to protect our family


    ps. pickles and pepperoncinis - no ice cream thank you :celebrate

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    hahaha, thats funny.phew! pickles and pepperchinis that is quite the duo!



    i am glad there are women on here who know the real danger of people and that they carry.



  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    674

    Post imported post

    My fiancee is too lazy to get her LTCF.

    Plus, she doesn't have a gun of her own, and all I have carry-worthy are about as big as she is (a G17 and a full-size EAA Witness) so she'd have to go shopping, and how horrible would that be?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    Oh noes! You'll have to take your Fiancee gun shopping? :shock: Oh, the HORROR!

    Take it from me, as I have learned the hard way. When shopping for an important item with your spouse or significant other:

    1. LISTEN to her. I mean it. Really listen. it saves a lot of pain later.
    2. You will not change her mind. You can assist her with making a new decisionby providing newinformation she may not have known before, but let HER make the decision, don't choose for her because you think it's the best choice.

    ...Hopefully this advice saves SOMEONE else from 2 years of "YOU got the truck that YOU wanted"...
    ...Orygunner...

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    674

    Post imported post

    Oh, I know.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    uTAH-life member: NRA, GOA, CCRKBA, ,
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Let's just say that short of a military base, the LAST place you'd want to start something is one of my family reunions.

  14. #14
    Regular Member desert-prospector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    (City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    Thought it was time to get in here.
    It is now a family affair, my wife finally got herself a handgun.....:celebrate

    Since we live about 30 min. from the Mex. border she saw the need.
    We went to Sportsman's Warehouse and to my luck the salesperson was a young woman. I left the 2 of 'em alone when I came back she was having the grips changed on a Taurus .357 mag.

    Now she's shopping for a holster and handbag for carrying. Any ideas on the handbags? Has to be below $80.00.

    She also recently found out her hair stylist carries concealed. Go figure....

    My sons aren't old enough to carry, but sure are interested give it a few more years.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    My fiancee is not yet fully convinced that she needs to carry. I think with time she will decide it is the thing to do. She prefers to shoot my P228 and is becoming pretty good with it.

    Like I always tell her, she is one fertilized egg away from carrying a pistol everywhere she goes.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Yeah, my husband has been OC almost as long as I have, and had a CC permit in Texas (I didn't get mine there).

    Daughter carries now too.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  17. #17
    Regular Member Harper1227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Yeah, my husband has been OC almost as long as I have, and had a CC permit in Texas (I didn't get mine there).

    Daughter carries now too.
    I didn't know your daughter carried. where has she been. you should bring her to the next get together.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    She's in Texas. Right now she only carries in her home; TX is a no-open-carry state and she doesn't have her concealed permit yet.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    The Lady Friend has her VA CHP - because I dragged her down to the courthouse and put a $50 bill on the counter. But that's OK - she has the CHP.

    She does not carry because 1) she has not found a gun she likes (Yes, we have been through shopping, renting, borrowing, and looking at ads), and most importantly to her 2) because I carry .

    We have had conversations (OK, I made words at her) about the fact that even if we were together 24/7/365 I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so, as I'm under no legal or moral obligation to do so. We have also had conversations (OK, again, I made words at her) about the fact that the odds are just about 50/50 between me deciding to protect her versus using her as concealment/cover. These words I have made at her do not seem to have sunk in - yet.

    I'm in no particular hurry to have the Lady Friend "get it". That might be because I've offered to buy her her first handgun. But I keep telling myself that just as she is slowly but surely getting on board with the same general world view (politics, moral viewpoint, ethics, sense of self with relation to and within the universe, etc.) as me, she may one day come around to deciding she wants to be responsible for her own safety. Until then, she can gamble on my good nature (NO comments from the peanut gallery) to decide to protect her as opposed to sacrificing her. I would expect no less if the positions were reversed.

    I have concluded that senior family members have a duty to protect junior family members until the juniors reach a stage in life when they are capable of protecting themselves. At that point the juniors either become partners in the family defense plan or moving concealment/cover. Sure, that is a cold, harsh statement, but life is cold and harsh. Live with it or get out of my family and create your own the way you want things to be.

    I do allow for sincerely held moral beliefs that would preclude a family member from becoming armed. But that allowance requires them to assume and carry out other activities that will contribute to the family's defense - such as being the designated lookout, the designated one to call 9-1-1 when TSHTF, and assuming the role of pack mule so the armed members can keep their gun hand free.

    Most folks do not subscribe to these thoughts, or at least not to the level at which I state them. That's your choice. I'm not out to convert anyone to my way of seeing things.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    camano island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    2 years ago on my Girl Friends B-day(Wife now) I handed her a card with 3 Twenties in it and strict instructions to get her permit, she applied for it the next day. This was before she owned her first gun, 1st was a Marlin model 60 .22, second an AR-15 and just last month on her B-day again she got a Glock 19 that she now OC/CC's.

    We have 3 boys. The younger 2 are from my first marriage (9&10) and our oldest is hers(12) The younger 2 have owned there own .22 single shot bolt guns for about 5 years now and we just got the oldest his own last month also. They will be getting P22's in the near futer but they are a ways off from being able to carry them except when we are out shooting as a family.


  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Epsom, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    even though my sister has a small S&W .38 special in the safe at home,she said she doesn't see a need to carry (she hasn't even fired it since my brother in-law got it for her several yrs ago)

    "God will protect me"--that's what she said.considering how stubborn she is,i don't think it'll help to try and talk her into it.

    but to my surprise,my mother was showing interest into going to the range and possibly getting here CCW.(gonna start her off small with a .22 though)


    the one family member that i thought would carry would of been my brother in-law(seeing that he's in the army)<---would that be stereotyping? only time he carries,is was deployed

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    [The Lady Friend and I] have had conversations (OK, I made words at her) about the fact that even if we were together 24/7/365 I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so, as I'm under no legal or moral obligation to do so. We have also had conversations (OK, again, I made words at her) about the fact that the odds are just about 50/50 between me deciding to protect her versus using her as concealment/cover. These words I have made at her do not seem to have sunk in - yet.
    SNIP
    :shock:Wow. nice to see chivalry is not yetdead.

    Should you maybe at least have her wear some Kevlar, so, y'know, she makes better cover for you? :quirky

    ...Orygunner...

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    Orygunner wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    [The Lady Friend and I] have had conversations (OK, I made words at her) about the fact that even if we were together 24/7/365 I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so, as I'm under no legal or moral obligation to do so. We have also had conversations (OK, again, I made words at her) about the fact that the odds are just about 50/50 between me deciding to protect her versus using her as concealment/cover. These words I have made at her do not seem to have sunk in - yet.
    SNIP
    :shock:Wow. nice to see chivalry is not yetdead.

    Should you maybe at least have her wear some Kevlar, so, y'know, she makes better cover for you? :quirky

    ...Orygunner...
    And why should I be obligated to do something for someone who is perfectly capable of doing that thing for themself? Wouldn't you call me condescending towards them if I stifled their opportunity to take control of their own life?

    And what about how the Lady Friend is falling down in the relationship by not sharing mutually in this self defense issue? Huh? How about that?

    Or perhaps you are not aware of subtle sarcasm when you read it? I stated: "I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so."I see so many folks who have not made a conscious decision to protect their family or friends, or even worse have made made the conscious decision NOT to protect their family or friends.

    Have you chosen to protect someone because you did something other than make a conscious decision to do so? If so, please tell me how that happened.

    A parting thought - regarding chivalry. What is less chivalrous than consciously deciding to protect a person for whom I have absolutely no legal or moral obligation to offerprotect?

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Alabama, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    Orygunner wrote:
    Should you maybe at least have her wear some Kevlar, so, y'know, she makes better cover for you? :quirky

    ...Orygunner...
    You owe me a new keyboard.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    And why should I be obligated to do something for someone who is perfectly capable of doing that thing for themself? Wouldn't you call me condescending towards them if I stifled their opportunity to take control of their own life?

    And what about how the Lady Friend is falling down in the relationship by not sharing mutually in this self defense issue? Huh? How about that?

    Or perhaps you are not aware of subtle sarcasm when you read it? I stated: "I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so."I see so many folks who have not made a conscious decision to protect their family or friends, or even worse have made made the conscious decision NOT to protect their family or friends.

    Have you chosen to protect someone because you did something other than make a conscious decision to do so? If so, please tell me how that happened.

    A parting thought - regarding chivalry. What is less chivalrous than consciously deciding to protect a person for whom I have absolutely no legal or moral obligation to offerprotect?

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    Hey Skidmark,

    I understand completely where you're coming from. Yes, I believe I caught the subtle sarcasm, and I think I understood that the intent of the words you made at the Lady Friend were to cause some wheels to turn in her head to understand she IS responsible for her own protection.

    The statement you made that caught my eye was the 50/50 split between protecting her or using her for concealment/cover. I understand the point, and agree completely with your reasons for stating it.

    However, The mental picture that sparked in my mind was you either shoving her out of the way, or ducking behind her to use as a human shield...

    ...Since cover is better than concealment, I suggested the kevlar ...
    ...Orygunner...

    (BTW, ToJas, what did I cause you to do to your keyboard? Did you squirt milk out your nose or something?)


    Edited to remove excess quoting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •