• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family carry?

nh92d

imported post

even though my sister has a small S&W .38 special in the safe at home,she said she doesn't see a need to carry (she hasn't even fired it since my brother in-law got it for her several yrs ago)

"God will protect me"--that's what she said.considering how stubborn she is,i don't think it'll help to try and talk her into it.

but to my surprise,my mother was showing interest into going to the range and possibly getting here CCW.(gonna start her off small with a .22 though)

the one family member that i thought would carry would of been my brother in-law(seeing that he's in the army)<---would that be stereotyping? only time he carries,is was deployed

Orygunner

imported post

skidmark wrote:
[The Lady Friend and I] have had conversations (OK, I made words at her) about the fact that even if we were together 24/7/365 I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so, as I'm under no legal or moral obligation to do so. We have also had conversations (OK, again, I made words at her) about the fact that the odds are just about 50/50 between me deciding to protect her versus using her as concealment/cover. These words I have made at her do not seem to have sunk in - yet.
SNIP

:shock:Wow. nice to see chivalry is not yetdead.

Should you maybe at least have her wear some Kevlar, so, y'know, she makes better cover for you? :quirky

...Orygunner...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
skidmark wrote:
[The Lady Friend and I] have had conversations (OK, I made words at her) about the fact that even if we were together 24/7/365 I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so, as I'm under no legal or moral obligation to do so. We have also had conversations (OK, again, I made words at her) about the fact that the odds are just about 50/50 between me deciding to protect her versus using her as concealment/cover. These words I have made at her do not seem to have sunk in - yet.
SNIP

:shock:Wow. nice to see chivalry is not yetdead.

Should you maybe at least have her wear some Kevlar, so, y'know, she makes better cover for you? :quirky

...Orygunner...
And why should I be obligated to do something for someone who is perfectly capable of doing that thing for themself? Wouldn't you call me condescending towards them if I stifled their opportunity to take control of their own life?

And what about how the Lady Friend is falling down in the relationship by not sharing mutually in this self defense issue? Huh? How about that?

Or perhaps you are not aware of subtle sarcasm when you read it? I stated: "I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so."I see so many folks who have not made a conscious decision to protect their family or friends, or even worse have made made the conscious decision NOT to protect their family or friends.

Have you chosen to protect someone because you did something other than make a conscious decision to do so? If so, please tell me how that happened.

A parting thought - regarding chivalry. What is less chivalrous than consciously deciding to protect a person for whom I have absolutely no legal or moral obligation to offerprotect?

stay safe.

skidmark

Orygunner

imported post

skidmark wrote:
And why should I be obligated to do something for someone who is perfectly capable of doing that thing for themself? Wouldn't you call me condescending towards them if I stifled their opportunity to take control of their own life?

And what about how the Lady Friend is falling down in the relationship by not sharing mutually in this self defense issue? Huh? How about that?

Or perhaps you are not aware of subtle sarcasm when you read it? I stated: "I might protect her, but only because I made a conscious decision to do so."I see so many folks who have not made a conscious decision to protect their family or friends, or even worse have made made the conscious decision NOT to protect their family or friends.

Have you chosen to protect someone because you did something other than make a conscious decision to do so? If so, please tell me how that happened.

A parting thought - regarding chivalry. What is less chivalrous than consciously deciding to protect a person for whom I have absolutely no legal or moral obligation to offerprotect?

stay safe.

skidmark

Hey Skidmark,

I understand completely where you're coming from. Yes, I believe I caught the subtle sarcasm, and I think I understood that the intent of the words you made at the Lady Friend were to cause some wheels to turn in her head to understand she IS responsible for her own protection.

The statement you made that caught my eye was the 50/50 split between protecting her or using her for concealment/cover. I understand the point, and agree completely with your reasons for stating it.

However, The mental picture that sparked in my mind was you either shoving her out of the way, or ducking behind her to use as a human shield...

...Since cover is better than concealment, I suggested the kevlar :D...
...Orygunner...

(BTW, ToJas, what did I cause you to do to your keyboard? :uhoh:Did you squirt milk out your nose or something?)

Edited to remove excess quoting.

ToJas

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
(BTW, ToJas, what did I cause you to do to your keyboard? :uhoh:Did you squirt milk out your nose or something?)
Soda. Coke to be precise. And yes, all over. I was completely unprepared.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Prophet wrote:
SDguy wrote:
My wife says "I don't carry a fire extinguisher in my purse, so why a gun?" She is not anti-gun whatsoever, she simply does not think anything is going to happen. She however, would like to carry pepper spray.

I find this amusing. I just imagine women lugging around fire-extinguishers and it amuses me. To your wife I would simply say that being doused with gasoline and set aflame is much more rare than being mugged or raped. The gun can protect against the latter two as well as stopping the gasoline hurler. Now, as for spontaneous combustion i don't know what to tell ya.
Well us guys never go anywhere without our BUFE (back up fire extinguisher),
just wish more felt the same about firearms.
However my wife is required by law to have extiguisher in truck when crossing state lines, and alas her pistol is also bigger than mine.:D
I've needed the former more often than the latter.

As for the 10 year old, I may have put off getting a left handed gun too long, and
now must untrain the schools brainwashing. But still plenty of time to stop that
misconception this year.