• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found a college that allows CC on campus!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

No it's not Evergreen.

South Puget Sound Community College. While having lunch today I met Security Lieutenant Fillmore (commissioned LEO) and he told me with a valid CPL there is no problem carrying on campus.

Checking SPSCC's conduct code I found this very familiar gem as the only prohibition on weapons...

(12) Weapons: Carrying, exhibiting, displaying or drawing any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

So I suppose even OC is legal, but I wouldn't be ready to try that on a campus, plus one could make a successful argument that given the current climate OC on a college campus could cause a reasonable person to feel threatened. BS I know, the law is clear but how would an OC in the courts play out?

At any rate I'm happy to have found a college in this state that does not flat out prohibit the carry of guns, plus it is in Oly!

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
While having lunch today I met Security Lieutenant Fillmore (commissioned LEO) and he told me with a valid CPL there is no problem carrying on campus.

When Senator Roach re-introduces the campus carry bill this session, Lt. Fillmore sounds like somebody who should testify to the fact that some students on his campus carry firearms without incident.

Sounds pretty similar to my experiences at WWU in the '80s (yup, I'm an old guy). The Lt. actually invited me to carry on campus. Back then, he realized that if something bad went down, he would prefer that there be a few armed students to stop it before there was a massacre.

This is great news!

just_a_car

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
While having lunch today I met Security Lieutenant Fillmore (commissioned LEO) and he told me with a valid CPL there is no problem carrying on campus.

When Senator Roach re-introduces the campus carry bill this session, Lt. Fillmore sounds like somebody who should testify to the fact that some students on his campus carry firearms without incident.

Sounds pretty similar to my experiences at WWU in the '80s (yup, I'm an old guy). The Lt. actually invited me to carry on campus. Back then, he realized that if something bad went down, he would prefer that there be a few armed students to stop it before there was a massacre.

This is great news!
Just like the button said that I wore at the hearing where I was fortunate enough to meet, and shake the hand of, Sen. Pam Roach: YES 6860!

scarlett1125

imported post

I work for Pierce College, and my understanding of our policy is that students may not carry, but faculty, staff, etc have the right to. I would not OC on campus because I would not want to cause my students any undue alarm or lose my job, but I will carry concealed. I know that being a tough English teacher doesn't always make a lot of friends for me in my classes! :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scarlett1125 wrote:
I work for Pierce College, and my understanding of our policy is that students may not carry, but faculty, staff, etc have the right to. I would not OC on campus because I would not want to cause my students any undue alarm or lose my job, but I will carry concealed. I know that being a tough English teacher doesn't always make a lot of friends for me in my classes! :lol:
I'm betting some of the posts on OCDO nearly give you a seizure :lol:

Boom Shakalaka

imported post

Sounds like all the students have to do is become "staff" - find a part-time job there, which could be IT support, or whatever.