• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zones

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Cykaos wrote:
Wait, so does that mean you are breakin the law if you are OCing, then get into your car and drive by a school to get to a McDonalds?

Yes it means exactly that. You are breaking federal law.

But the law doesn't just "protect" schools which could be easily identified with some effort but LISENCED DAY CARE CENTERS as well. I am willing to bet you won't find a complete listing of those in the old yellow pages or even an internet search.

It isn't just driving by but "within 1000 feet of the property" not the building!

I haven't looked but the state may not have an easily accessable listing for the general public either....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

CC Permit is the ONLY way to go when you can get it.....

JoeSparky

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
I submit that a repeal of the unconstitutional law is the only way to go.

I will "type" corrected, Sir. You are most correct.:dude:

But, until that great and glorious day... CC Permit allowing to OPEN CARRY is a very viable alternative....

JoeSparky

swillden

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
But the law doesn't just "protect" schools which could be easily identified with some effort but LISENCED DAY CARE CENTERS as well. I am willing to bet you won't find a complete listing of those in the old yellow pages or even an internet search.

It isn't just driving by but "within 1000 feet of the property" not the building!

I haven't looked but the state may not have an easily accessable listing for the general public either....:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Not that it makes it okay, by any means, but the federal law does include a little caveat that makes this a little less painful. The law only applies when within 1000 feet of property "the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone" (USC Title 18, §922 (q)(2)(A)).

So being armed within 1000 feet of a day care you don't know about, and which looks like an ordinary home, doesn't make you a criminal.

GeneticsDave

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:
I read that when you are in a school zone, without a CFP, your gun needs to be completely unloaded and locked away in a case. However, I can't find the definition of locked. To me, it seems like a case with sliders that hold the two halves together could be considered locked, but I'm not sure.

Please elaborate.

I'm also under the assumption that such case would be considered "securely encased".
Wait, so does that mean you are breakin the law if you are OCing, then get into your car and drive by a school to get to a McDonalds? (Lets say, full mag, empty breech, SERPA/Fobus holster, no CC permit) The school just happned to be on your route. I can't be right, nahh...
Yep, that's why the law sucks... CFP clears that up tho, if you want to get one.

xRapidDavex

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Cykaos wrote:
Wait, so does that mean you are breakin the law if you are OCing, then get into your car and drive by a school to get to a McDonalds?

Yes it means exactly that. You are breaking federal law.

JoeSparky

The law reads something to the effect of "if the person reasonably believes that they are within 1000 ft of said establishment." So it seems harsher for posted school zones than a daycare center out of someone's house.