• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone post the Abbreviations used in this forum

makanik

imported post

I am a newbie. I am getting my CCW permit soon, and found this forum to be very helpful. Thanks!

Dr.Coy

imported post

im new too.... im just good with 1337 speak... here are 3 that are used consistently

FMJ = Full Metal Jacket
CC = Concealed Carry
OC = Open Carry

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A few more:

With regard to opinions,

IANAL - I am not a lawyer

YMMV - your mileage may vary

IM(H)O - In my (humble) opinion

With regard to ammunition,

FMJ - Full Metal jacket

HP - Hollowpoint

HS - Hydra-Shok (Federal HPs)

GD - Gold Dots (Speer HPs)

WWB - Winchester White Box (budget yet decentrange ammo)

ACP - Automatic Colt Pistol; a standard classifier of semi-automatic ammunition.

Mag - Magnum. Can also be "mag", which is usually an ammo magazine.

With regard to firearms,

AR - a riflepatterned on the AR-15 (M-16). can also mean "assault rifle" in general, but that will generally be spelled out to avoid confusion.

AK - A rifle patterned on the AK-47.

1911 - a pistol patterned on the M1911A1. This and the preceeding patterns are just that; they are widely produced by many companies and are a class of firearms more than any one model.

SAO - Single-action only. Most of these are 1911-pattern but some Sigs are SAO on a different pattern, and most striker-fired pistols that aren't Glocks are technically single-action as well.

TDA - Traditional double-action. Synonymous with DA/SA. Most hammer-fired pistols that aren't 1911s are TDAs.

DAO - Double-action only. some Sigs and most pocket pistols are DAOs.

With regards to Jeff Cooper,

Rule 1 - the gun is always loaded

Rule 2 - never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy

Rule 3 - keep your booger hook of the bang switch

Rule 4 - be sure of your target, and what is around and beyond it.

White - Condition White; unobservant and thus unaware of potential trouble

Yellow - Casually observant for unexpected trouble

Orange - Trouble expected or occurring, source unknown

Red - Trouble imminent or occurring and source pinpointed

C&L - "Cocked and Locked"; Condition 1 of 1911s and some other pistols, the pistol is loaded, chambered and the hammer back, and the safety is engaged.

Israeli - "Israeli carry"; Condition 3 of 1911s and most other pistols, the weapon is decocked with an empty chamber but a full magazine. The Israeli Defense Force (IDF) is trained to carry this way.

With regard topolice procedure,

RAS - Reasonable articulable suspicion. A lower standard than probable cause, it justifies a detention of an individual on the spot for further questioning to develop or refute cause to believe a crime is imminent or being committed. It also in limited circumstances justifies afrisk for weapons.

PC - Probable cause to arrest; the officer must have evidence, not just suspicion, that a crime is imminent, in progress, orhas been completed that would, given time to do so, have resulted in a warrant. Of course it can also be "politically correct" depending on context.

SOP - Standard operating procedure; the code, formal or informal,dictating conduct and police response to a given situation.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

RKBA - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

MSM - Main Stream Media

Just a few off the top of my head.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC = Open Carry
OC = Oleoresin Capsicum = Pepper Spray = OC Spray

Utah Unloaded - Same as Israeli carry - Utah law states a firearm is unloaded if it has 2 mechanical actions to fire, and there is nothing in the firing position.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Can't believe everyone missed MMM:

Million Moms March
Many Mad Mommas
Many Misguided Mommies

and other variations

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

There are also about half a dozen different acronyms for the piece of paper that legally authorizes (usually concealed) carry, where such paper is required.

CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) is a frequent one.

CHL (Concealed Handgun License) is another that I've seen.

CCW is another, though CCW can often mean "Carrying Concealed Weapon" in a generic sense.

GFL is an unusual one, but is the "official" acronym for the Georgia Firearms License (which, btw, was necessary for either concealed or open carry back when I had one. Things may be different now, but I'm no longer a Georgia resident).

There are others, which are usually decipherable from context.

This mention of concealed permit acronyms is not intended to imply any particular opinion about permits or concealed carry.

regards,

GR

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Actually 'AK' is the abbreviation for Avtomat Kalashnikova 'Automatic rifle Kalashnikova'
But when you say you have an AK in casual conversation on these boards, it could in fact be aNorinco Type 56. But if you sayyou have aNorinco Type 56, only those familiar with AK variants will know that you have a chineseAK-patterned rifle. Thus, AK as used on these forums refers more often toanAK-patterned rifle of some unspecified type and makethan to a Kalashnikov-produced model which is the "REAL" AK.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DocV wrote:
One correction;

ACP is Automatic Colt Pistol not Python. The Python is a Colt revolver.

DocV
:?oops. Fixed. And what's even worse is that the Colt Python is neither automatic nor does it take ACP ammo (maybe with moon clips).

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Oh yeah and one other...

ETA : Edit to add (used when editing posts)
I always wondered what the random stuff at the end of a post had to do with someone's estimated time of arrival.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OP - original post/original poster depending on context

IOW - in other words

LE - law enforcement

LAC - law abiding citizen

CCW - while covered above in some states such as MO it means "concealed carry weapons" and allows carry of concealed weapons other than firearms

And one of the most important ones:

OCDO - open carry dot org

PT111

imported post

One that I have seen used in several different ways and do not understand how a lot of people use it is:

MOA - What is the definition is the different ways it is used. I thought it was Minute Of Angle or Measure of Accuracy but that does fit how it is used.