• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone post the Abbreviations used in this forum

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
One that I have seen used in several different ways and do not understand how a lot of people use it is:

MOA - What is the definition is the different ways it is used. I thought it was Minute Of Angle or Measure of Accuracy but that does fit how it is used.
Minute of Arc

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
One that I have seen used in several different ways and do not understand how a lot of people use it is:

MOA - What is the definition is the different ways it is used. I thought it was Minute Of Angle or Measure of Accuracy but that does fit how it is used.
Minute of Angle is pretty close. Actually the term refers to Minute of Arc, which is the roughly linear arc length produced by a deviation of 1/60 of a degree from a point. At 100 yards,a deviation from the bullseye of one MOA yields a hit approximately one inch off-center(1.047" to be precise). That's pretty good shooting; imagine hitting the 9-ringof your average pistol target from across a football field.

MOA is important in scope sighting because if you're 'yote hunting, one or two MOAs means the difference between a heart shot and something less fatal (including a clean miss). Scopes, once zeroed, can then be adjusted for windage or range.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_of_angle#Firearms

This unit is commonly found in the firearms industry and literature, particularly that concerning the accuracy of rifles. The industry tends to refer to it as minute of angle rather than minute of arc. It is popular because 1 MOA subtends approximately one inch at 100 yards, a traditional distance on target ranges. A shooter can easily readjust his rifle scope by measuring the distance in inches the bullet hole is from the desired impact point, and adjusting the scope that many MOA in the same direction. Most target scopes designed for long distances are adjustable in quarter (¼) or eighth (⅛) MOA "clicks". One eighth MOA is equal to approximately an eighth of an inch at 100 yards or one inch at 800 yards.
Calculating the physical equivalent group size equal to one minute of arc can be done using the equation: equivalent group size = tan(MOA ∕ 60)*distance. In the example previously given and substituting 3600 inches for 100 yards, tan(1 MOA ∕ 60)∙ 3600 inches = 1.0471975511966 inches.
In metric units 1 MOA at 100 meters = 2.90888208665722 centimeters.
Sometimes, a firearm's accuracy will be measured in MOA. This simply means that under ideal conditions, the gun is capable of repeatedly producing a group of shots whose center points (center-to-center) fit into a circle, the diameter of which can be subtended by that amount of arc. (E.g.: a "1 MOA rifle" should be capable, under ideal conditions, of shooting a 1-inch group at 100 yards, a "2 MOA rifle" a 2-inch group at 100 yards, etc.) Some manufacturers such as Weatherby and Cooper offer actual guarantees of real-world MOA performance.
Rifle manufacturers and gun magazines often refer to this capability as "Sub-MOA", meaning it shoots under 1 MOA. This is typically a single group of 3 to 5 shots at 100 yards, or the average of several groups. If larger samples are taken, i.e. more shots per group, then group size typically increases. [2]

Orygunner

imported post

A few of them that I use:

ORS = Oregon Revised Statutes

RTFM = Read The Manual Please ;)

2A, 4A, 5A, etc.= Amendments to the US Constitution (Bill of Rights)

Brady Bunch = Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Defense, er, violence

...Orygunner...

imperialism2024

imported post

Before anyone else takes them...

JBT= Jack-booted thugs- used to refer to BATFE employees and other government workers who take pride in abusing their power in order to oppress the peaceful activity of citizens.
BATFE= Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives -Branch of the Federal government devoted to making sure that citizens have no effective means to defend themselves against said Federal government.

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

VCDL - Virginia Citizens Defense League premier 2nd Amend group
(Can't believe I'm the first to mention this one!)

POTUS - President of the United States

TSHTF or SHTF - the s*ht hit the fan

gf - gril friend

RKBA - Right to keep and bear arms

JMB - John Moses Browning - the father of modern firearms

AD - accidental discharge

ND - negligent discharge

Then we have unique meanings for words like:

Unicorn - an OCer spotted in public, rare for some to see

Flaming or flame wars - to unnecesarily attack or insult someone

Troll or trolling - Like in fishing it denotes someone casting about, trying to bait someone into an arguement or discussion just for its own sake, frequently using absurd reasoning. Also in the same context as above, an ugly ground dwelling gnome

Anybody else care to add words with special meaning?

Yata hey

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Anybody else care to add words with special meaning?

Well, since you mentioned POTUS, I don't think this one has been said:

SCOTUS - Supreme Court Of The United States

Badger - A gun owner who does not support gun rights or works against them.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

LEA - Law Enforcement Agency. The term is sometimes used for one agent, but even if it's the FBI we tend to use LEO for one or two guys.

Remmy - Remington, usually a shotgun

Mossy - Mossberg, same

Smitty - Smith & Wesson, usually a revolver

Lurker - A common BB term, someone who reads the forums but doesn't contribute often or at all.

AbNo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
gf - gril friend

grill-too-hot-716044.jpg

:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
gf - gril friend

grill-too-hot-716044.jpg

I spent some time in Balimer (Baltimore) as a teenager and college years. Anybody from that area would immediately recognize that a gril friend was a member of the opposite sex!
Yata hey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One I use more than I probably should:

IIRC - if I remember correctly (often used by those of us over 35 who are prolific readers but can't remember where we read it)

jbone

imported post

I saw FOIA on some thread, what does it stand for?