• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or Unloaded

Jaycob

imported post

I wanna know if it is legal to have your gun loaded while open carrying. Also can you have it loaded in your car?

Garza

Tampa, Currently in Newport News,VA, Florida, USA
imported post

Not from Louisiana but if you can carry open. I am pretty sure you should be able to carry loaded. Otherwise you would just be advertising you have an unloaded weapon to everyone.:lol:This outta be interesting to see someone answer this.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From a State perspective, it is legal fora non-prohibited person (no felony convictions or adjucations of insanity or mental incompetency)to carry a weapon openly at all times. However, Louisiana's pre-emption statute grandfathers existing local ordinances as of when it was passed, and the statute does allow localities to restrict carry in certain businesses and public buildings. Therefore, you may not be able to OC into your local bank or alcohol-selling establishment, and you may encounter a city that has a grandfathered ban on OC. All I can say is to search the ordinances for your city and county to see if they have anything relating to weapons. If they don't, you should be able to carry a loaded, holstered firearm around town and in your car.

Jaycob

imported post

Garza wrote:
Not from Louisiana but if you can carry open. I am pretty sure you should be able to carry loaded. Otherwise you would just be advertising you have an unloaded weapon to everyone.:lol:This outta be interesting to see someone answer this.

Well im not from Louisiana. Im from Hawaii. And in hawaii you have to have a license just for a rifle. Its not that easy to get a gun. So me not being from louisiana, i wanna know the laws, and by saying pretty sure, maybe you shouldnt have answered the question. Im askin people who know.

THANK YOU

Dustin

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
From a State perspective, it is legal fora non-prohibited person (no felony convictions or adjucations of insanity or mental incompetency)to carry a weapon openly at all times. However, Louisiana's pre-emption statute grandfathers existing local ordinances as of when it was passed, and the statute does allow localities to restrict carry in certain businesses and public buildings. Therefore, you may not be able to OC into your local bank or alcohol-selling establishment, and you may encounter a city that has a grandfathered ban on OC. All I can say is to search the ordinances for your city and county to see if they have anything relating to weapons. If they don't, you should be able to carry a loaded, holstered firearm around town and in your car.
So what your trying to say is "You Have no Clue" :lol::lol:

There is no law about Condition 1, Loaded, unloaded, B.c there just isn't a law.

You carry a pistolto protect yourself. So unless you plan on hitting the BG with it, you might want to make sure it's loaded.

Thanks and Have a Great Day.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
So what your trying to say is "You Have no Clue" :lol::lol:

There is no law about Condition 1, Loaded, unloaded, B.c there just isn't a law.

You carry a pistolto protect yourself. So unless you plan on hitting the BG with it, you might want to make sure it's loaded.

Thanks and Have a Great Day.
:pwhat I'm trying to say is that there is nothing at the state level, but because I don't know where le lives or is planning to go, and because no, I haven't read the ordinances of every country, city and one-horse town in a state Ido not often visit, I cannot tell him for sure that he won't be busted for some obscure decades-old provision that's been grandfathered in.

Garza

Tampa, Currently in Newport News,VA, Florida, USA
imported post

Jaycob wrote:

Well im not from Louisiana. Im from Hawaii. And in hawaii you have to have a license just for a rifle. Its not that easy to get a gun. So me not being from louisiana, i wanna know the laws, and by saying pretty sure, maybe you shouldnt have answered the question. Im askin people who know.

THANK YOU

First off, this was not an answer to your question. I was questioning the law. And if it was that you had to carry a gununloaded, how ridiculuos it would be. At the end I even put that it would be interesting to see it answered. Again letting you know I was not trying to answer your question. Next time I will be clear so you don't have to question my intentions. No need to get hostile. We are all here to learn.

Dustin

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
:pwhat I'm trying to say is that there is nothing at the state level, but because I don't know where le lives or is planning to go, and because no, I haven't read the ordinances of every country, city and one-horse town in a state Ido not often visit, I cannot tell him for sure that he won't be busted for some obscure decades-old provision that's been grandfathered in.
Yea I know, just hacking on you bro. :p

Lot's of things in Lots of states are hiding in Grandfathers Closet :?

GPossenti

imported post

My wife and I always carry loaded. Much of the time the gun is in the car, and racking the slide, then pointing the gun is impractical.

1) don't point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy.
2) don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jaycob wrote:
I wanna know if it is legal to have your gun loaded while open carrying. Also can you have it loaded in your car?
Although you say in a later post that you're from Hawaii, your screen name doesn't list your current location. If you're in Louisiana, you can carry loaded if you want (the gun loaded, not you). If you don't want to carry a loaded gun, I suggest that you don't carry a gun at all.

A gun in a car is, by Louisiana law, a constitutionally protected activity. Just don't get out of the car with the gun in a "gun-free" zone.

Posts that describe the "grandfathered" prohibitions are correct. you will need to check your local ordinances, but also check to see when they were passed. Anything passed after the cutoff is invalid.

GPossenti

imported post

A student at CHL class asked at what point do you deactivate the safety. The instructor looked at him as if he was crazy and said "most guns don't have 'em."

The shocked student said, "so when an attacker is coming at you, when do you load the gun?" The teacher loudly replied, "the gun is always loaded!!!"

The student said, "so how do you keep the gun from going off?"

"You keep your finger off the trigger!" replied the instructor.

The class erupted in laughter.

ryan26

imported post

Jaycob wrote:
Garza wrote:
Not from Louisiana but if you can carry open. I am pretty sure you should be able to carry loaded. Otherwise you would just be advertising you have an unloaded weapon to everyone.:lol: This outta be interesting to see someone answer this.

THANK YOU

I meant to quote liko81 about the preemption law

louisianas premption law is from 1985 as far as I know there have been no parishes that passed any laws against open carry I have been researching local ordinances for quite a while now and as far as I see there are none. also there is no law against loaded or unloaded in this state but in a few other states you have to be two movements away from shooting meaning racking one in the chamber and taking off the safety you can't legally have a glock loaded in that state because you are less than two points away from firing that's how it was explained to me

imported post

When I spoke with the attorney for the EBR sheriff's office back in 99, she confirmed there were NO grandfathered local ordinances to contend with. There's no way one could have been enacted since then.
In Baton Rouge, lock and load. See ya' at the next OC breakfast/BBQ.

sheepdog

imported post

...how 'bout NOLA? I seem to remember from wayback they had some screwy laws on the books...70s....that were more restrictive than state law....before the current fiasco....