• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine Tension

Dr.Coy

imported post

I have a new Blue Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm, 17+1 Capacity

I can get 16 rounds into the magazine, I cant get the 17th in to save my life... no pun intended. Will this loosen soon within 100rounds shot through it? Or is there something I can do in particular?

Also, I know with Blue guns you have to be a little more careful on how you treat the metal... anyone have any good tips?

I could read manuals and such but I figure everyday users would have the best insight.

Thanks!

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
I have a new Blue Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm, 17+1 Capacity

I can get 16 rounds into the magazine, I cant get the 17th in to save my life... no pun intended. Will this loosen soon within 100rounds shot through it? Or is there something I can do in particular?

Also, I know with Blue guns you have to be a little more careful on how you treat the metal... anyone have any good tips?

I could read manuals and such but I figure everyday users would have the best insight.

Thanks!

Well, just in general, springs do wear in (and then eventually wear out). Most guns include a mag loader, which fits around the top of the mag and pushes the rounds down so you can slip the last few in. If your gun did not come with one,I suggest you talk to your local gun store; it's a simple piece of molded plastic or shaped sheet steel and virtually all manufacturers sell replacements. If even using the mag loader does not allow you to fit 17 in, I would disassemble the mag and make sure that the spring and follower can compress and move without obstruction; the spring's "column" may be collapsing as it is compressed, causing it to impede the follower. The follower itself may also have severe flashing (mold marks) that is causing it to bottom out before it should; cutting away the extra plastic will allow freer travel in this case.

As for taking care of a blued gun, the bluing is a durablefinish but not indestructible; it will wear with repeated unholstering-reholstering, firing, etc. Wearing-in of the action is normal and not to be worried about; those surfaces are generally covered by an oil or grease which inhibits rust. Worrisome wear includes wear on corners or edges from holstering and general hard use, and scratches. Most gun stores sell re-bluing kits that can touch up such areas. In all cases, if bare metal shows on the exterior, keep the firearm well-oiled (don't over-oil though) and dry until you can repair the scratch or surface wear. If thefirearm starts rusting, the rust will need to be sanded off before rebluing and this can damage the gun.Parkerizing and other electro-reactive finishes are more difficult to repair; I would trust refinishing those parts to a qualified gunsmith as well.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Okay, awesome thank you. Yeah my thumbs are sore today from trying to get the 17th bullet in... hahaha. I am assuming the magloader is a seperate piece you hold in your hand? If so no I do not have one. I will have to go get one.

Wonder if it is worth buying the Titanium slide model of the .40 when I buy the next one... sounds like a cool idea anyways!

Carolina40

imported post

one of the best shooting accessories I've ever purchased is the UPLULA --- universal pistol loader.

google it - it is worth every penny - no more sore thumbs!!

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Light surface rust can be easily removed by using #0000 steel wool saturated with a decent "CLP" type oil without damaging the blued surface.....I use FP-10 and/or Breakfree most often.
You should NEVER use "sandpaper" type abrasives on a gun unless you are about to refinnish it....about 200 grit and finer even then.

eyesopened

imported post

Yeah the magazine spring will wear so it'll be easier. The same thing happened on my XD. Loading the 13th or 10th round in the magazine was tough and I used the included magazine loader. Now that they've worn a bit I can do it by hand without a problem.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Cool. ANother mag question:

If I want two more magazines, should I order the ones made from my gun's manufacturer OR is it just as well to buy a mag made by another company that claims it will fit mine?

I have the two standard mags that come with the gun of course, but i want two more... two to keep fully loaded with HS, two for the shooting range.

David.Car

imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Cool. ANother mag question:

If I want two more magazines, should I order the ones made from my gun's manufacturer OR is it just as well to buy a mag made by another company that claims it will fit mine?

I have the two standard mags that come with the gun of course, but i want two more... two to keep fully loaded with HS, two for the shooting range.

Many times the gun company orders their mags from another manufacturer themselves, and if you go for the ones from that company they are the same quality but cheaper.

Example: Sig mags are made by Mecgar. You can buy Mecgar mags for a whole lot cheaper than sig company mags.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Okay cool. Sounds like a good info tip, thanks man!
If you had a Ruger I'd advise buying OEM mags; they make their own and they're the only ones I currently trust. However, Mec-Gar makes good ones for pretty much any model of handgun. If you don't buy OEM, buy Mec-gar. That's my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Okay, awesome thank you. Yeah my thumbs are sore today from trying to get the 17th bullet in... hahaha. I am assuming the magloader is a seperate piece you hold in your hand? If so no I do not have one. I will have to go get one.

Wonder if it is worth buying the Titanium slide model of the .40 when I buy the next one... sounds like a cool idea anyways!

Your typical mag loader looks like this:

You fit it around the top of the magazine with the tab on top placed over the rear of the mag. Push down on the loader and you create a space between the top round and the mag lips to slip in the next cartridge. Then lift the loader, push the round the rest of the way in, and repeat until the mag is topped off. This particular one is made by Pro-Mag and fits 9mm/.40 magazines, single or double stack. While their magazines leave much to be desired, i can't see the harm in spending $7 to see if this'll do ya.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
whats the average price of those things?

cuz i saw one for like $33, i was like holy cow that is a bit pricey.

Well those are universal loaders; the simpler ones are generally fit to a specific model of magazine and probably actually load the mag instead of just pushing it down. Loaders for rarer magazine types (like MP5 mags) are also more expensive.

I got the above image from MidwayUSA, which sells this loader for about $6. You should be able to walk into virtually any gun store or range and buy a similar loader.