• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad Protecting Groped Daughter Attacked By 8 Men

grishnav

imported post

asforme wrote:
Sorry to be OT, but no one should think that windows format tool zeros out a drive:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686
When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

Eh. I could be mistaken. I thought it zeroed it.

Either way, I use eraser. :)

[/quote]

2a4all

imported post

In general, a check for "bad sectors" is usually done by a diagnostic routine that writes a pattern of "1"s and "0"s to the disk, and then reads it back. If the read doesn't match the write. the sector is flagged as bad, and not used in the ensuing file system creation.

A sequence of these "writes/reads", using different "1/0" patterns is usually used before a sector is declared bad. e.g. the pattern "5A5A" will write "0101101001011010" to the disk, with alternating "weak" and "strong" adjacent magnetic fields (adjacent 00, 11 are strong), then followed by the complimentary pattern A5A5 to the same sector. Note that this has the effect of overwriting all data on the drive.

To ensure security, a proprietary series of random writes may also done.

Thus it can take some time to format a disk.

I can't say if Microsoft does all or any of these specific things.

Hope this helps.

grishnav

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Could I make a request to move the thread discussion either back on track, or let it die? Computer security is interesting, surely, but entirely OT to the OP.
I'm trying, but I got my first taste of freedom from Open Source software and an early connection to the interwebs; firearms ownership was a passion that came later. :cry:

MetalChris

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
The time i would sepnd in prison for shooting a$$holes like theses guys would be worth it to me protecting my wife and daughter.
You wouldn't have spent any time in prison for shooting these animals if they were attacking you like they did the father in this story.

Oh wait in todays world you probably would. Never mind.

ODA 226

imported post

Speaking from personal experience, you never know what you're going to do in a situation like that until it happens and that's when you depend on your training and instincts to do what if correct and proper. Always do what is morally correct and act within the scope of your training.

ShowMeCarry

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Is it just a phase of the moon, or have we touched on a subject that inspires certain people post things that make us look like vigilantes?
I think this is definitely a subject that touches a nerve. No lunar phase needed.

A family being harassed, then the father attacked and beaten unconscious by a group of assailants!! This should provoke righteous indignation among any law abiding citizen.

Father allegedly stomped" - this sounds like the 'curbing' that was shown in movies, where an attacker attempts to crush an unconscious victims head with his boot.
This is not some kids vandalizing a car. 8 men attacked a family because the father would not let a strange man grope his underage daughter.

""He added that the group continued to assault other people unprovoked after the attack on the father."

This is one of the main motivations for legal carrying of a weapon. To be able to defend yourself and your family from criminals. People voicing that they would exercise their right to self defense against people who clearly intended severe harm against the father, is perfectly understandable and justifiable.

I would even say that had any CCW holder been present they would have had a moral, if not legal, obligation to help defend said family.

MetalChris

imported post

You're only a vigilante if you actively SEEK OUT criminals with the intent of killing them. Defending oneself is only vigilantism to the LAMEstream media.