Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while OC/CC

Post imported post

I know it is illegal to be in an establishment that serves alcohol and is 21+ only BUT say you are at a restaraunt that isn't 21+ are you allowed to drink while you carry??

Post imported post

No law against it in WA. Personal preference.

I have had drinks carrying, but I never have more than 1. Many people won't drink at all when armed.

Post imported post

I will have at most, 1 drink while carrying. And most likely when with friends, and not in public.....most times in public I will not drink at all.

Post imported post

I don't drink, so it isn't an issue for me, but...

I could see a prosecutor (civil or criminal) having a field day with even "just one drink" in the event of a SD shooting.

IMO, stone cold sober is the only way to carry, more for legal reasons than impairment reasons -- I think the majority of those who carry (legally) know not to overdo it.

Post imported post

Drinking while carrying a gun, regardless of how, shows a major lack of smarts and common sense. Whether it is legal or not. It is STUPID.

Post imported post

Just curious of the legalities of it.

I have never drank while carrying but if ever in the situation I did not want to be breaking any laws.

Thanks

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    (SNIP)
    I could see a prosecutor (civil or criminal) having a field day with even "just one drink" in the event of a SD shooting.

IMO, stone cold sober is the only way to carry, more for legal reasons than impairment reasons -- I think the majority of those who carry (legally) know not to overdo it.
    +1. It's just a great excuse to drag you over the coals in the case of a justifiable homicide case.

And, even though I'd had a beer once or twice while carrying, I usually stick to my rule that guns and alcohol do not mix.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Drinking while carrying a gun, regardless of how, shows a major lack of smarts and common sense. Whether it is legal or not. It is STUPID.
    so going to an OC meet and having a beer with food makes you stupid? cause theres probably a lot of stupid people on here then.

Marcus

Post imported post

ScorpioMk wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    so going to an OC meet and having a beer with food makes you stupid? cause theres probably a lot of stupid people on here then.

Marcus
    Any alcohol in your system when and if you are involved in a shooting and your liability is gonna mean you will be paying someone else for the rest of your life. You don't need to meet the legally impaired level either.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:

I respectfully disagree......I always carry, either OC or CC.......I am not abstaining from drink (although it is very rare that I do drink), and I doubt you are either.....are you always armed? If so, according to your opinion on this matter, you have been "stupid" as well.....

I will, inevitably, have a drink while carrying at some point......as long as I am conscious that I am carrying, and not drink to drunkenness while in public, I don't see an issue with that. Whether I have had a drink or not, my right to self defense does not go away......legally, is it a worse situation than if you had to defend yourself when completely sober? Sure......but I go through life hoping I will never have to use my firearm, and I'll just have to hope even more that I never have to use it while there is alcohol in my system.

Either way, I refuse to let the unlikely possibility that I will have to use my firearm in self defense run the way I live my life. The choice to drink or not (since I am always armed, "while carrying" is moot) is part of that decision.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    ScorpioMk wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:

Marcus
    Any alcohol in your system when and if you are involved in a shooting and your liability is gonna mean you will be paying someone else for the rest of your life. You don't need to meet the legally impaired level either.
    Basically that means you can never drink then, cause i always have a gun within reach and do have a beer once in a while at home or at friends houses.

Marcus

Post imported post

I never drink and carry, but I think it might actually improve my aim. just kiddin.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:

I respectfully disagree......I always carry, either OC or CC.......I am not abstaining from drink (although it is very rare that I do drink), and I doubt you are either.....are you always armed? If so, according to your opinion on this matter, you have been "stupid" as well.....

I will, inevitably, have a drink while carrying at some point......as long as I am conscious that I am carrying, and not drink to drunkenness while in public, I don't see an issue with that. Whether I have had a drink or not, my right to self defense does not go away......legally, is it a worse situation than if you had to defend yourself when completely sober? Sure......but I go through life hoping I will never have to use my firearm, and I'll just have to hope even more that I never have to use it while there is alcohol in my system.

Either way, I refuse to let the unlikely possibility that I will have to use my firearm in self defense run the way I live my life. The choice to drink or not (since I am always armed, "while carrying" is moot) is part of that decision.
    Haven't had a drink of alcohol since 1967. So no I don't and never will and I don't trust those that do anymore than I trust those that drink and drive.

Post imported post

I won't call it stupid to have a drink while carrying, I'll call it blatent stupidity. Its one thing to have a drink in your own home but to go out in public carrying and have a drink is another.
    I'm a big guy and I doubt that one beer is going to affect my judgement, however
    I carry a weapon for protection, to protect myself and my loved ones, Why risk that over a alcoholic drink?

RCW 9.41.270
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another OR that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Its a personal preference, make the right choice....

Post imported post

I don't really drink anyway so it's not an issue for me but the liability factor has to be huge.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

I'll put A beer in hand and a gun on the hip... but i know that the two have been mixed, and i act accordingly.

Just like car keys, know where your limit is (if any at all is inside that limit) and stick to that.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I won't drink and carry. Not even one.

Post imported post

Okay some people are going over the top. Blatant Stupidity? Really?

If you go out and start having drink after drink. Yeah, fine, that is dumb.

You go out to dinner and have a single beer with dinner and now you are an idiot? Get off your high horses people.

You don't drink? Great. Good for you, but stop condeming people too "stupidity" because they have one drink. One drink is burned through the average adults system in 1 hour or less. By the time you finish eating your dinner and pay your bill and get outside it is already half way out of your system practicaly.

The fact is, unless you weigh in at 80 pounds soaking wet, one beer isn't going to do anything. 1 (12oz) beer for a 180lb male over 1 hour = BAC level of .004

You will breathe higher eating certain mints!

A review of over 100 different medical studies compiled this list of when things become impaired:

Vigilance : .03

Perception : .04

Vision : .03

Psychomotor skills : .04-.05

Reaction time : .06

In fact beer is health for you in small doses, so relax a little with the name calling.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Oh come on guys. Grandpa gets a strong opinion and people start taking it almost personally.

Somehow I survived being addressed strongly by Bear.

I mean really, at 104 I plan on being a little opinionated, too.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I'm with Bear on this one, and I'm only 94. Just the liability factor. If you have to draw/shoot and have Etoh in your system your life is going to get real ugly for a long time. Even if someone nearby says "I saw him drinking in the restaurant" you are going to have a hard time explaining it.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote
    RCW 9.41.270
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another OR that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Its a personal preference, make the right choice....
    +1.

Is it illegal? No. But if you're gonna go out and have a beer or two, cover it up. I would say a majority of us have our CWP for a reason, and this would definitely qualify as one of them. A man drinking in public is fine. A man drinking in public with a gun strapped to his hip is not. This is not the image we want to portray for our cause. If you plan on drinking and OC'in, I think I can speak for a vast majority of us that we would rather you not mention OCDO.

And sometimes I wonder why people think we're crazy! Even I doubt some of our members.

Post imported post

CCed at bars plenty. OCed and had a beer (with dinner) while in New Hampshire at Murphy's Tap Room with lots ofRonPaul and Obama supporters around (several hundred packing the place). I've never had a better beer; Freedom tasted great!!!

It's a non-issue for me. Victim disarmament zones protect criminals There is no place wherethe law abidingshould be disarmed unless it is by personal choice (or that of a private property owner).

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    I won't drink and carry. Not even one.
    +1 Just won't do it. Personal preference.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Post imported post

I would rather have a lawyer explain a shooting while intoxicated to a jury, than explain my will to the family.

Post imported post

Not that I have OCed much, but I'd imagine I would not partake in drinking while OCing, but more for the public image thing than impairment. I'd have a beer with dinner while CCing, for sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast