• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drinking while OC/CC

RiverTMasco

imported post

I know it is illegal to be in an establishment that serves alcohol and is 21+ only BUT say you are at a restaraunt that isn't 21+ are you allowed to drink while you carry??

David.Car

imported post

No law against it in WA. Personal preference.

I have had drinks carrying, but I never have more than 1. Many people won't drink at all when armed.

ScottyT

imported post

I don't drink, so it isn't an issue for me, but...

I could see a prosecutor (civil or criminal) having a field day with even "just one drink" in the event of a SD shooting.

IMO, stone cold sober is the only way to carry, more for legal reasons than impairment reasons -- I think the majority of those who carry (legally) know not to overdo it.

just_a_car

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
(SNIP)
I could see a prosecutor (civil or criminal) having a field day with even "just one drink" in the event of a SD shooting.

IMO, stone cold sober is the only way to carry, more for legal reasons than impairment reasons -- I think the majority of those who carry (legally) know not to overdo it.
+1. It's just a great excuse to drag you over the coals in the case of a justifiable homicide case.

And, even though I'd had a beer once or twice while carrying, I usually stick to my rule that guns and alcohol do not mix.

ScorpioMk

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Drinking while carrying a gun, regardless of how, shows a major lack of smarts and common sense. Whether it is legal or not. It is STUPID.

so going to an OC meet and having a beer with food makes you stupid? cause theres probably a lot of stupid people on here then.

Marcus

Bear 45/70

imported post

ScorpioMk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Drinking while carrying a gun, regardless of how, shows a major lack of smarts and common sense. Whether it is legal or not. It is STUPID.

so going to an OC meet and having a beer with food makes you stupid? cause theres probably a lot of stupid people on here then.

Marcus
Any alcohol in your system when and if you are involved in a shooting and your liability is gonna mean you will be paying someone else for the rest of your life. You don't need to meet the legally impaired level either.

compmanio365

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:

I respectfully disagree......I always carry, either OC or CC.......I am not abstaining from drink (although it is very rare that I do drink), and I doubt you are either.....are you always armed? If so, according to your opinion on this matter, you have been "stupid" as well.....

I will, inevitably, have a drink while carrying at some point......as long as I am conscious that I am carrying, and not drink to drunkenness while in public, I don't see an issue with that. Whether I have had a drink or not, my right to self defense does not go away......legally, is it a worse situation than if you had to defend yourself when completely sober? Sure......but I go through life hoping I will never have to use my firearm, and I'll just have to hope even more that I never have to use it while there is alcohol in my system.

Either way, I refuse to let the unlikely possibility that I will have to use my firearm in self defense run the way I live my life. The choice to drink or not (since I am always armed, "while carrying" is moot) is part of that decision.

ScorpioMk

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
ScorpioMk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

Marcus
Any alcohol in your system when and if you are involved in a shooting and your liability is gonna mean you will be paying someone else for the rest of your life. You don't need to meet the legally impaired level either.

Basically that means you can never drink then, cause i always have a gun within reach and do have a beer once in a while at home or at friends houses.

Marcus

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I respectfully disagree......I always carry, either OC or CC.......I am not abstaining from drink (although it is very rare that I do drink), and I doubt you are either.....are you always armed? If so, according to your opinion on this matter, you have been "stupid" as well.....

I will, inevitably, have a drink while carrying at some point......as long as I am conscious that I am carrying, and not drink to drunkenness while in public, I don't see an issue with that. Whether I have had a drink or not, my right to self defense does not go away......legally, is it a worse situation than if you had to defend yourself when completely sober? Sure......but I go through life hoping I will never have to use my firearm, and I'll just have to hope even more that I never have to use it while there is alcohol in my system.

Either way, I refuse to let the unlikely possibility that I will have to use my firearm in self defense run the way I live my life. The choice to drink or not (since I am always armed, "while carrying" is moot) is part of that decision.
Haven't had a drink of alcohol since 1967. So no I don't and never will and I don't trust those that do anymore than I trust those that drink and drive.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I won't call it stupid to have a drink while carrying, I'll call it blatent stupidity. Its one thing to have a drink in your own home but to go out in public carrying and have a drink is another.
I'm a big guy and I doubt that one beer is going to affect my judgement, however
I carry a weapon for protection, to protect myself and my loved ones, Why risk that over a alcoholic drink?

RCW 9.41.270
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another OR that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Its a personal preference, make the right choice....

uncoolperson

imported post

I'll put A beer in hand and a gun on the hip... but i know that the two have been mixed, and i act accordingly.

Just like car keys, know where your limit is (if any at all is inside that limit) and stick to that.

David.Car

imported post

Okay some people are going over the top. Blatant Stupidity? Really?

If you go out and start having drink after drink. Yeah, fine, that is dumb.

You go out to dinner and have a single beer with dinner and now you are an idiot? Get off your high horses people.

You don't drink? Great. Good for you, but stop condeming people too "stupidity" because they have one drink. One drink is burned through the average adults system in 1 hour or less. By the time you finish eating your dinner and pay your bill and get outside it is already half way out of your system practicaly.

The fact is, unless you weigh in at 80 pounds soaking wet, one beer isn't going to do anything. 1 (12oz) beer for a 180lb male over 1 hour = BAC level of .004

You will breathe higher eating certain mints!

A review of over 100 different medical studies compiled this list of when things become impaired:

Vigilance : .03

Perception : .04

Vision : .03

Psychomotor skills : .04-.05

Reaction time : .06

In fact beer is health for you in small doses, so relax a little with the name calling.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh come on guys. Grandpa gets a strong opinion and people start taking it almost personally.

Somehow I survived being addressed strongly by Bear.

I mean really, at 104 I plan on being a little opinionated, too. :D

Misguided Child

imported post

I'm with Bear on this one, and I'm only 94. Just the liability factor. If you have to draw/shoot and have Etoh in your system your life is going to get real ugly for a long time. Even if someone nearby says "I saw him drinking in the restaurant" you are going to have a hard time explaining it.