• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need an interview

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

she can contact me. I live in the Dumfries area and work at Regan National Airport.

possumboy

imported post

I will email when I get home and have access to my personal email.

The problem is going to be that bane I call work. It would have to be late afternoon/early evening.

But Mondays would be good, we usually go to the park and playground on Mondays.

denwego

imported post

Since I'm in the Hampton Roads area, and I'm poor, I won't be able to make it to any in-person meetings in NoVa. However, since I grew up speaking a lot of French at home (merci à la famille de ma grandmère!), hopefully I can provide her with a few quotes for her to use nonetheless.

les_aker

imported post

She sent me a reply, saying that she wanted to go to the house of someone who owned guns, look at security issues in the home and with the children, go to where you purchase your guns to see the conditions there, see some training, and go with you when you open carry. And that she was open to suggestions.

After discussing it at some length, we decided not to take her up on her offer. I realize that everyone has to make their own decisions regarding these issues, but we decided that we didn't want to expose the kids in the media that way regardless of the tone or presentation of the story.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

les_aker wrote:
She sent me a reply, saying that she wanted to go to the house of someone who owned guns, look at security issues in the home and with the children, go to where you purchase your guns to see the conditions there, see some training, and go with you when you open carry. And that she was open to suggestions.
Right - that was disclosed up front - the whole point of exercise.

ODA 226

imported post

She said that my family and I were perfect subjects and I made plans in advance to take her to all of the places she wanted to go. (Even cleaned up my gun safe!) But then she didn't want to drive from NOVA to Suffolk...

Neplusultra

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
She said that my family and I were perfect subjects and I made plans in advance to take her to all of the places she wanted to go. (Even cleaned up my gun safe!) But then she didn't want to drive from NOVA to Suffolk...
It was God saying, "How can we get this guy to clean up his gun safe? Cleanliness is almost like being Me..." Then the Devil said, "I know!"

possumboy

imported post

I have talked with her and she will be at my house Monday Evening.

We are going to go over how I store my weapons, rules of the house over my guns, and then we will probably head out the park for dinner.

There will be about an hour with just me, then the kids will get home and we will go to the park.

I hope she is gentle, this is my first time doing something like this.:?

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

possumboy wrote:
I have talked with her and she will be at my house Monday Evening.

We are going to go over how I store my weapons, rules of the house over my guns, and then we will probably head out the park for dinner.

There will be about an hour with just me, then the kids will get home and we will go to the park.

I hope she is gentle, this is my first time doing something like this.:?
Let us know how it goes! :idea:

possumboy

imported post

So, they arrived about 4:30PM and we got started.

The took many shots of me taking my handguns from my safe, and unlocking my long guns and shotguns.

They talked with the kids and the kids answered how they don't play with guns and what they do if the see one. Even took some footage of my son's NERF gun.:D

Then they caught the chaos of us getting ready to go to the park.

Then therewas us at thepark.

They had questions about how things would change for me in DC - which I told them they would not.

They also had questions on why I do not like to take the kids into DC because of the crime rate and me not being allowed to carry for defense in DC. I explained that the gun did notguarantee safety, but gun laws do not prevent criminals from using weapons, so why should I be limited to how I can defend my family against criminals when criminals are not limited.

I explained how I do not plan on being attacked, but it is good to be prepared. I used the seat belt comparison. And how the gun is a deterrent more than anything. If a criminal sees two people, one with a gun and one without, which one do you think he will target? I should have told them I do not want to be a statistic. I do not want to be the 1% that is attacked. I hate it when they say we have a low crime rate. Ask the person attacked, raped, or robbed how they feel about the low crime rate.

They also asked me what I would do if someone was attacking me. I explained the gun is the last resort. I would try to get out of the situation before using my gun. That I do not carry the gun around looking for someone to shoot. Hurting someone is the last thing I ever want to do. I do believe I have the right to stand my ground, but I am not looking to hurt anyone, most objects can be replaced. I tried to explain how my gun was just another tool.

I also explained a few other items about opencarry and concealed carry. What I can do in DC (nothing) as opposed to VA.

They interviewed my wife - which comes from a very anti family - and they keyed in on how she "feels" with guns in the house.

Lots of reviews on safety. I handled the guns more than I normally do, but I was safe. I did not touch my gun outside of my house. I even expressed some discomfort on a few things they were asking me to do, and did not do a few for safety reasons. There was a simple explanation of this is the bad end, and this is the good end. Never point the bad end at something you do not want to hurt or destroy.:lol:

Another problem I had was explaining my comfort with guns. I grew up with them. They have always been a part of my life so it wasn't something I thought about. Gun safety is a much as part of measeating with a fork - which I learned about the same time.

Last note, I had to get a new gun safe for my bedroom. My daughter used my old one as a step stool and broke the keypad release - luckily the key still worked! It may also have to do with the water the kids spilled into it while I was away on travel.:p

VAopencarry

imported post

Good job Possum!

Mike, visiting the Main page would be most helpful if John put a link to it on the forum page. Visiting the main page now is like asking if we visited another forum? There is no 'physical' link from here to there.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Good job Possum!

Mike, visiting the Main page would be most helpful if John put a link to it on the forum page. Visiting the main page now is like asking if we visited another forum? There is no 'physical' link from here to there.
Yes - I have asked John to do this. He has failed. He should be fired. Please PM John and ask him to do this - many or most people are coming directly to the forums page - they are mssing all the hot action on the main page which has frankly ebcome, essentially, the "Drudge report" for the open carry movement.