• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

digital voice recorders?

Anubis

imported post

After perusing recent posts here, I have decided to get and carry a DVR. None of the ones I have researched have an externalmicrophone that can be attached to a lapel. I usually don't wear shirts with pockets, so I would carry theDVR in a pants pocket. I wonderif the built-in mike would work from there. How well do these things pick up audio?

Bullbuster

imported post

I too have been frustrated while looking for a DVR. I found one that held 310 hours of recording, had a USB adapter for PC downloading, editing capabilities, and several other nice features all for under $45 at Wal-Mart, but it didn't have a microphone adapter only a built in one. The only one I found with a corded microphone was crud and only held 1 hour with no USB download feature.

If anyone here hasa DVR that has the external microphone and a USB adapter. What brand is it and where did you get it?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I too have been frustrated while looking for a DVR. I found one that held 310 hours of recording, had a USB adapter for PC downloading, editing capabilities, and several other nice features all for under $45 at Wal-Mart, but it didn't have a microphone adapter only a built in one. The only one I found with a corded microphone was crud and only held 1 hour with no USB download feature.

If anyone here hasa DVR that has the external microphone and a USB adapter. What brand is it and where did you get it?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16183

Any of the Sony products are good. The only down-side I found was they did not come with an external mike. I went with Model Number: ECM-CS10Business Microphone.

Hope that helped.

stay safe.

skidmark

Orygunner

imported post

I giggled at the description of the Microphone...

Record important meetings and lectures with the ECM-CS10 omnidirectional business microphone.
"Excuse me, is this going to be a lecture about my Open Carrying? OK, with my Sony ECM-SC10 Microphone, I'm Prepared!" ;)

...Orygunner...

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bought this one at WalMart, but returned because it lacked the quality of recording while sitting in my shirt pocket... It does however have a USB connector for easy uploading, and if you have an external mic I'm sure it would work great.

I just bought this one, and will let you all know how good it is. It doesn't have a usb connector, but already seems to be higher quality.

ETA: Both have mic inputs and headphone outputs... and both are under $40 at Wally World.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Anubis wrote:
After perusing recent posts here, I have decided to get and carry a DVR. None of the ones I have researched have an externalmicrophone that can be attached to a lapel. I usually don't wear shirts with pockets, so I would carry theDVR in a pants pocket. I wonderif the built-in mike would work from there. How well do these things pick up audio?
I just picked up a clip mic this week. It works very well for me. It can pick up all the conversations in a car, back and front seats. For traffic stops I have the mike clipped on my visor by the window and the recorder in a clip-on mobile phone case, fits perfect for holding every thing up near my registration/insurance papers, grab papers, turn on mic all with one motion. You can also walk around with it clipped at your collar and the recorder in your pocket. Radio shack had it for $25.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a [font="verdana,arial,helvetica"][size="-1"]Olympus VN-4100PC Digital Voice Recorder, with external (ME-15)
mic.
[/size][/font]I turn it on when I leave the house and off at the end of the day. If nothing happened, delete the recording. I wear a ball cap most of the time and it fits up under the cap with the mic hooked to the side of the bill.

[font="verdana,arial,helvetica"][size="-1"][/size][/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica"][size="-1"]I was at an outdoor shooting area. These have not been cleaned up in any way. I record on the HQ hi setting.[/size][/font]

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/mp3/kick-in-the-pants.mp3

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/mp3/dialed-in.mp3

Anubis

imported post

Thanks for all the help!

I bought the Olympus VN-4100PC, ME-15 external mike, and TP-7 telephone recording microphone. (In CO only 1 partymust be aware of an audio recording being made for it to be legal.)

Bullbuster, this DVR package includes a USB cable and upload software.