• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Booted from the.....

kenshin

imported post

I've been going to the Kitsap Mall for years, open carry for only a few months though and never once seen a no firearms sign on ANY entrance. I've walked past the security desk numerous time while OCing.

Today my fiance and I had to go into Kay's to pick up her ring that we dropped off for some repairs. Went in through the main entrance and checked for any "no firearms" signs, just in case they changed something. Got to the store and realized we had forgotten the receipt out in the car so we had to go back and get it. On our way back in I saw three security guards standing just inside the doors and thought they were probably waiting for me, but I walked past them anyways, although I realize now on my weakside. After I had passed them they must have been able to see my strongside from behind and immediatley approached me and told us that we had to leave.

I asked why and they said it was against Mall policy. The first guard kept suggesting that there was a sign posted on the door and I had to keep correcting him that there was no such sign. After awhile I asked if I could see a copy of the policy against fireamrs, to which he replied that they don't give those out. At one point one of the officers claimed to be head of security, but I don't know if I believe him. Realizing that there was not much that I could do, because I had to get to the store and get our ring back, I asked if I could lock it in my vehicle. They said that was ok.

Went back to the car, again. When I returned "head of security" guy was waiting at the entrance and said that he had managed to dig up a copy of the policy which he handed me. Since we were standing right at the doors now, I also pointed, again, that there was absolutely no signs posted. He finally agreed to that and said that he would bring it up with management.

I'm going to call the general manager tomorrow just to make sure, but the "code of conduct" pamphlet that they gave me does list firearms as a no-no. I hate to say this since there's a lot of stores there that I go to, but we may need to add them to DNP. I'll post a reply in that thread later when I can verify with Management.

G27

imported post

I take it you entered from one of their "flagship" stores like Sears or Macy's? Those entrances do not have any signs. If you enter from a mall entrance, there is a Code of Conduct thing that says no weapons. I have OC'd there once or twice and never had a problem, granted it was my Glock 27 and not the Sig 229. :lol:

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Seems to me the DNP should be the mall and the interior shops -- if you can enter the flagship stores from outside, continue tocarry unless they boot you, too. Perhaps you (we) could go to them and ask if they would contact the mall management with their desire to have management support 2A and A1S24. They might not be willing to make waves, but they should know they are losing business.

On the other hand, CC.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Kitsap Mall and Washington Square in Oregon are owned by the Real Estate division of SAFECO insurance

Decoligny

imported post

G27 wrote:
I take it you entered from one of their "flagship" stores like Sears or Macy's?

No!

G27 wrote:
If you enter from a mall entrance, there is a Code of Conduct thing that says no weapons.

And again No!

kenshin wrote:

I've been going to the Kitsap Mall for years, open carry for only a few months though and never once seen a no firearms sign on ANY entrance. I've walked past the security desk numerous time while OCing.

Today my fiance and I had to go into Kay's to pick up her ring that we dropped off for some repairs. Went in through the main entrance and checked for any "no firearms" signs, just in case they changed something. Got to the store and realized we had forgotten the receipt out in the car so we had to go back and get it. On our way back in I saw three security guards standing just inside the doors and thought they were probably waiting for me, but I walked past them anyways, although I realize now on my weakside. After I had passed them they must have been able to see my strongside from behind and immediatley approached me and told us that we had to leave.

I asked why and they said it was against Mall policy. The first guard kept suggesting that there was a sign posted on the door and I had to keep correcting him that there was no such sign. After awhile I asked if I could see a copy of the policy against fireamrs, to which he replied that they don't give those out. At one point one of the officers claimed to be head of security, but I don't know if I believe him. Realizing that there was not much that I could do, because I had to get to the store and get our ring back, I asked if I could lock it in my vehicle. They said that was ok.

Went back to the car, again. When I returned "head of security" guy was waiting at the entrance and said that he had managed to dig up a copy of the policy which he handed me. Since we were standing right at the doors now, I also pointed, again, that there was absolutely no signs posted. He finally agreed to that and said that he would bring it up with management.

I'm going to call the general manager tomorrow just to make sure, but the "code of conduct" pamphlet that they gave me does list firearms as a no-no. I hate to say this since there's a lot of stores there that I go to, but we may need to add them to DNP. I'll post a reply in that thread later when I can verify with Management.

kenshin

imported post

G27 wrote:
I take it you entered from one of their "flagship" stores like Sears or Macy's? Those entrances do not have any signs. If you enter from a mall entrance, there is a Code of Conduct thing that says no weapons. I have OC'd there once or twice and never had a problem, granted it was my Glock 27 and not the Sig 229. :lol:
I've entered from both the store entrances and mall entrances in the past and never seen a sign posted. This particular time I went through the main Mall entrance off of Kitsap Mall Blvd.

David.Car

imported post

kenshin wrote:
I've entered from both the store entrances and mall entrances in the past and never seen a sign posted. This particular time I went through the main Mall entrance off of Kitsap Mall Blvd.
I know at the main mall here in Spokane they don't have a strictly no weapons sign. They have a sign that has all of their code of conduct type rules and "No Firearms or Illegal Weapons" is tucked in near the end.

kenshin

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Kitsap Mall and Washington Square in Oregon are owned by the Real Estate division of SAFECO insurance
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were owned by Safeco. I'll check them out to see if I can get more details on their policy.

kenshin

imported post

Just checked, it's actually Macerich that owns the Kitsap Mall. I talked with a few of the PR managers there to see if they had a corporate "code of conduct" that would override any individual codes at the Kitsap Mall. They're checking into it and will contact me back.

just_a_car

imported post

I'm watching this thread closely to see where it goes... if corporate comes back with "no firearms", they'll be up on the DNP List right-quick.

RiverTMasco

imported post

G27 wrote:

Actually I have OCed there several times and I have gone in through a MAIN entrance not "flagship" and I have specifically looked for a sign and there were none that I could find.

I have gone into Weisfield a few times and thats RIGHT next to the security booth area and I have had no problems.

RiverTMasco

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I'm watching this thread closely to see where it goes... if corporate comes back with "no firearms", they'll be up on the DNP List right-quick.
Thats a shame too because I go there alot and its the closest mall besides Tacoma.

kenshin

imported post

Damnit, I have to go back to the mall tonight, I forgot something at the counter in Kay's. I'm sure as hell not about to disarm for them, worst case scenario I'll conceal, but I was wondering the legalities of another possibility.

If I were to go back in OCing and they saw and recognized me from previously could they trespass me since they have already asked me to leave or since I left and have come back would they have to ask me to leave again? I'm not really buffed up on the trespassing/private property laws.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Update, I've been in contace with the PR manager at Macerich, and the General Manager at Kitsap Mall. Waiting for emails from both of them. Also to note, Macerich owns two other malls in Washington. The Redmond Town Center in Redmond, obviously:p, and the Cascade Mall in Burlington.

kenshin

imported post

RiverTMasco wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Thats a shame too because I go there alot and its the closest mall besides Tacoma.

FYI. Tacoma Mall is also DNP'd. They are very anti-gun. No wonder criminals think it's such a great place to go to and start shooting.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Triple Tap

imported post

Let Kay Jewlers corporate know that the mall isnt letting thier customers in to shop with them and your going elsewhere. I would love to hear that conversation with the Mall owner and Kay Corporate. Presure from the side that counts.

I would go to the Jewlery Palace in Federal Way anyways, better selection, and they are all OC too, includeding the women sales people.

fire suppressor

imported post

I have carryed into the mall countless times. True That most of the times have been CC but there has also been a number of times I OC I have never had a problem. I have been to the poulsbo sportsmans club shooting and overherd conversations of simular situtations. I have to agree with the zero posting of signs. I haven enterred the mall through just about ever entance and am always carfull to triple check for signs and I have never been able to find anything more than a free wifi sign posted. Definetly plan to watch this one to see how it turns out. Sorry for asking this but I have grown up with firearms my entier life but sometime dont get some of the slang used of the forum, what is a DNP?

G27

imported post

There is no actual sign that has a gun marked out, but on the entrance on the doors that I know for sure by the food court areas there is a code of conduct is transparent letters on the doors and it clearly says all weapons are prohibited. I wasn't trying to start a fight, just stating that while I don't agree with it I know it is posted.